Author Topic: Finally got a new truck!  (Read 12374 times)

Declaration Day

• friends
Finally got a new truck!
« on: February 10, 2011, 05:20:47 PM »
Some of you may remember my various rants about my '05 Chevy Silverado, which I nicknamed The Money Pit.

-Starter failed at less than one year old.  Replaced under warranty, but still.....
-Truck inexplicably scorched the terminals on 3 factory batteries (first two replaced under warranty).  I eventually replaced it with a 1,000 amp Bosch and it was fine from then on.
-All oxygen sensors had failed at least once
-Airbag module failed
-First alternator failed just out of warranty.
-Tailgate latches were replaced once under warranty, then again two years later out of my pocket.
-At four years old, the heads of the bolts that held on the driver's side exhaust manifold snapped off, and the manifold came off the engine while I was driving.
-A year ago, the fuel vapor reclamation thingy clogged, and I wasn't able to pump gas directly into my truck.  I had to fill a five gallon gas can and pour it in, over and over.  I finally dropped the tank and disconnected it.
-CD player failed twice, once under warranty.  Eventually replaced it with an aftermarket one.
-Wire harness for the blower motor resistor melted and was replaced under warranty.  Less than a year ago, it melted again and nearly caught the truck on fire.  I disconnected it before that happened.  In retrospect, I should have let the POS burn to the ground.
-The ABS module sprung a leak, and rather than paying $600 for a new one, I bypassed it.
-At the time of trade in (today), the speedometer was going haywire, the cabin temp control had two settings (full blast heat or off), the brake lights stopped working (that happened a week ago) and when I put the truck in 4wd, all of the gauges except tach and speedo would die.

There are a few more things which I may edit in later, but that's all I can remember for now.  FYI the truck only had 83,000 miles at trade in.

The dealer gave me $8,500 for a truck I would have happily given away.

So here's my new toy, a 2011 Ram 2500HD, 4x4, 5.7L Hemi.  =D

PTK

• friends
Re: Finally got a new truck!
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 05:24:00 PM »
Nice truck indeed! :)

Looks sharp, hopefully it gives better service than your previous vehicle. ;)
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 05:26:32 PM »
Nice truck indeed! :)

Looks sharp, hopefully it gives better service than your previous vehicle. ;)

It HAS to.  There could not possibly be a worse vehicle on this planet than my old Chevy.  Except maybe a Trabant.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 05:28:01 PM »
Well done!  =D

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 05:28:22 PM »
salt spreader come with it?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 05:28:41 PM »
Now that you have a dodge, you must learn to road rage, and hang some truck nutz off it.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 05:29:03 PM »
salt spreader come with it?

Yes, and a Boss plow too.  $34K out the door!

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 05:30:55 PM »
Did they throw in a free jacket, too?

:P

Nice truck, btw.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 05:31:10 PM »
Now that you have a dodge, you must learn to road rage, and hang some truck nutz off it.

Hey I plow snow for a living.  You think you've seen idiot drivers out there?  You have no idea.  If I were a road-rager, I would have been put in prison years ago!  =D

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 05:32:01 PM »
Nice. Congratulations.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 05:32:52 PM »
great truck! Y'know I seem to remember needing some boxes moved :cool: :angel:
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 05:33:57 PM »
great truck! Y'know I seem to remember needing some boxes moved :cool: :angel:

You're in luck then!  There's (probably) a U-Haul rental place nearby!

• friends
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 05:35:51 PM »
i am jealous!
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2011, 05:37:10 PM »

You are totally buying into a stereotype I also buy into!   >:D

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2011, 05:39:07 PM »
You are totally buying into a stereotype I also buy into!   >:D

Being here in Texas reinforces it.  Chevys and Fords are usually stock.  Dodges, though, get big truck nutz, smoke stacks, and are driven by hicks who do 70 in a 45 and cut everyone off waving a middle finger, natural light, with their mullet flopping around.
JD

• friends
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2011, 05:41:02 PM »
i put 477 k on my dodge and was teased at being capt slow.  got cussed all the time

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2011, 05:42:59 PM »
Heh, it is not a 100% thing.  It does seem though that folks who are going to act like that, no matter what they drive, tend to gravitate towards the Dodge trucks.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2011, 05:43:10 PM »
Being here in Texas reinforces it.  Chevys and Fords are usually stock.  Dodges, though, get big truck nutz, smoke stacks, and are driven by hicks who do 70 in a 45 and cut everyone off waving a middle finger, natural light, with their mullet flopping around.

They're compensating for something -- I'm not sure exactly what.  (probably for not having a Ford or Chevy)
"It's good, though..."

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2011, 05:46:07 PM »
Being here in Texas reinforces it.  Chevys and Fords are usually stock.  Dodges, though, get big truck nutz, smoke stacks, and are driven by hicks who do 70 in a 45 and cut everyone off waving a middle finger, natural light, with their mullet flopping around.

Hilarious!  For the record I am a much more courteous driver than most, I have a military haircut, all of my teeth, dislike country music, and am a beer snob (Natural light? Barf!)

Seriously though, another GM truck was out of the question, for obvious reasons.  And Ford couldn't beat the deal I got on the Ram, not to mention the fact that Ford is trying to peddle a warmed-over 14-year-old design as "new".  Even if I preferred the Ford, it was several thousand dollars more.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 05:53:22 PM by Declaration Day »

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2011, 05:56:40 PM »

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2011, 06:23:32 PM »

They're compensating for something -- I'm not sure exactly what.  (probably for not having a Ford or Chevy)

Dodge's advertising feeds the beast.  Like the one with George Washington in a Charger...  :facepalm:  I wonder how many rednecks hollered and saluted the TV.....
JD

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2011, 06:26:31 PM »
Dodge's advertising feeds the beast.  Like the one with George Washington in a Charger...

I'll have to look that one up on youtube!

EDIT:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ezk0e1VL80o

It's a Challenger.  Cool commercial, albeit cheesy.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 06:29:36 PM by Declaration Day »

220_SWIFT

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2011, 11:34:03 PM »
Congrats a fine ride!

I bit the bullet and bought a new Dodge last fall.  I absolutely LOVE it.  Best truck I have ever owned, hands down.  And I have owned quite a few.

Here is a pic of mine, just cause I love to show it off. lol

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2011, 01:38:29 AM »
Congrats a fine ride!

I bit the bullet and bought a new Dodge last fall.  I absolutely LOVE it.  Best truck I have ever owned, hands down.  And I have owned quite a few.

Here is a pic of mine, just cause I love to show it off. lol

Nice truck and an awesome color!  Though it's only a 1500. :P

[/quote]

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2011, 07:07:53 AM »
Being here in Texas reinforces it.  Chevys and Fords are usually stock.  Dodges, though, get big truck nutz, smoke stacks, and are driven by hicks who do 70 in a 45 and cut everyone off waving a middle finger, natural light, with their mullet flopping around.

Yep...and don't forget the camo seat covers....so the spilled beer don't show.....

And Ford couldn't beat the deal I got on the Ram, not to mention the fact that Ford is trying to peddle a warmed-over 14-year-old design as "new".  Even if I preferred the Ford, it was several thousand dollars more.

Sorry for the difference in price, but there's a lot to be said about a 14-year-old design that still works.....namely, that it still works....I love my debugged technology Ford.....  =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.