Author Topic: LED Products Billed as Eco-sound Contain Toxic Metals, University of California  (Read 2379 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/02/110210124136.htm

manufacturers and first responders to accident scenes ought to be aware of this, Ogunseitan said. When bulbs break at home, residents should sweep them up with a special broom while wearing gloves and a mask,

you think the environazis will bother telling people this? not very likely unless they also sell "special brooms" what the heck is a special broom??

University of California - Irvine (2011, February 11). LED products billed as eco-friendly contain toxic metals, study finds. ScienceDaily.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

dogmush

• friend
You'll forgive me if I don't panic at trace levels of lead in tiny bulbs that I don't even break anyway.

This might be a problem if you regularly grind up and eat LED's but I doubt it's an issue under normal use.  I noted a distinct lack in that article of actual numbers when talking about these hazardous materials.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
White bulbs contained the least lead, but had high levels of nickel.
And so does your Prius jackwagon.

The copper used in some LEDs also poses an ecological threat to fish, rivers and lakes.
Ban teh pennies! For the childrenz! This pretty much tell me how much to care about this article.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

gunsmith

• friend
And so does your Prius jackwagon.

how does he know I have a Prius jackwagon [tinfoil] :laugh:
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

gunsmith

• friend
You'll forgive me if I don't panic at trace levels of lead in tiny bulbs that I don't even break anyway.

This might be a problem if you regularly grind up and eat LED's but I doubt it's an issue under normal use.  I noted a distinct lack in that article of actual numbers when talking about these hazardous materials.

oy yeah, yer probably correct- the fun part is that I can use this to further minimize the environazis globular warming alarmist arguments.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.

This might be a problem if you regularly grind up and eat LED's but I doubt it's an issue under normal use.  I noted a distinct lack in that article of actual numbers when talking about these hazardous materials.

You want lead?  I have 4,000 rounds of .30 Carbine, 3,000 of 5.56mm,@1,000+ of 7.62·39, numerous boxes of .44 magnum, 9mm., .40 S&W, .38SP, .44-40, .30-30,  scads of .22LR and assorted other oddball cartridges...say nothing of my blackpowder supplies (which is pure lead).  
I just don't eat it, is all ....  [tinfoil] ;/
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 06:51:35 PM by TommyGunn »
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MechAg94

• friend
How many household items do most people have that would require special disposal in industry?  I was thinking of fluorescent bulbs and batteries for a start.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Is there a way to get California declared toxic?
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
I guess they kinda glossed over the fact that the majority of the lead (what tiny fraction of a gram there is in an LED) comes from the solder used to connect it, not the component itself.

Why don't they crunch up the computers they used to compile the test and see how much lead is in them.  Then test the testing equipment.  Or their cookware.  Possibly the ground in their own back yards.  Lead is a naturally occuring element.  It's everywhere in... *GASP*... "trace amounts".

Bunch of loony enviro-nazi goobs... *grumble grumble*

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

brimic

• friends
I find it funny how the same people claim that the amount of mercury in CFLs is safe claim that traces of lead and nickel (in the solid state no less) are going to kill teh chilren in LED bulbs.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

mtnbkr

• friend
I guess they kinda glossed over the fact that the majority of the lead (what tiny fraction of a gram there is in an LED) comes from the solder used to connect it, not the component itself.

Why don't they crunch up the computers they used to compile the test and see how much lead is in them.  Then test the testing equipment.  Or their cookware.  Possibly the ground in their own back yards.  Lead is a naturally occuring element.  It's everywhere in... *GASP*... "trace amounts".

Bunch of loony enviro-nazi goobs... *grumble grumble*

Brad

This is why RoHS exists.

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
FWIW, I bought my first LED light the other day.  The CFL I ran constantly at my back door burned out (2nd CFL in that position in 8 years, all ran 24/7).  The bulb was kind of pricey at $19, but the light quality is good.  It'll be interesting to see if it lasts any longer than the CFL it replaced.  It does use a small amount less energy (7.5w vs 8-10).

Chris

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
This is why RoHS exists.

Chris

Didn't we start putting lead in soldier and such to prevent tin whiskers? Oh it's gonna be fun if those start making a comeback.
Look, tiny text!

mtnbkr

• friend
Didn't we start putting lead in soldier and such to prevent tin whiskers? Oh it's gonna be fun if those start making a comeback.

Dunno.  RoHS has been in place for several years now.  So far, I haven't seen any problems, but we'll see I guess...

Chris

grampster

• friend
The largest single group of Americans, population wise, are the baby boomers and throw in the decade before them.  This huge group of people lived in houses, schools, apartments filled with lead based paint, asbestos up the ying yang, creeks and streams filled with all sorts of nasty run off, coal burning furnaces, ate lard and butter and red meat, smoked unfiltered tobacco products, drank alcohol, smoked pot and wallowed, ate, breathed etc every other nasty you can think of and as a group we live longer and we're healthier than virtually any generation.

All of my dirty filthy hippie peers that exercised obsessively, ate seeds, hulls and stems and stalked the wild Bland and whined about all the good things in life that they wanted to stamp out are all dead.

"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

sanglant

• friend
better lead then quicksilver. [tinfoil]

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
This might be a problem if you regularly grind up and eat LED's but I doubt it's an issue under normal use.

I like mine with guacamole and sour cream  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

gunsmith

• friend
The largest single group of Americans, population wise, are the baby boomers and throw in the decade before them.  This huge group of people lived in houses, schools, apartments filled with lead based paint, asbestos up the ying yang, creeks and streams filled with all sorts of nasty run off, coal burning furnaces, ate lard and butter and red meat, smoked unfiltered tobacco products, drank alcohol, smoked pot and wallowed, ate, breathed etc every other nasty you can think of and as a group we live longer and we're healthier than virtually any generation.

All of my dirty filthy hippie peers that exercised obsessively, ate seeds, hulls and stems and stalked the wild Bland and whined about all the good things in life that they wanted to stamp out are all dead.

http://wejew.com/media/7083/Woody_Allen_Classic_Comedy_Movie_Sleeper_Part_2_of_9/

What do you mean they're all dead! They ate organic rice!
Sleeper-Woody Allen.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Quote from: Dude Referenced as Lead "Scientist"
"Every day we don't have a law that says you cannot replace an unsafe product with another unsafe product, we're putting people's lives at risk," he said.

Freaking fascist.  "There aught to be a law ..." is one of the most dangerous phrases that crept into our national psyche 80 years (or however long its been) ago.
Formerly sumpnz

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
"Every day we don't have a law that says you cannot replace an unsafe product with another unsafe product, we're putting people's lives at risk," he said.

Life is terminal, it entails risk.  Normal people understand this.
An attitude like this maroon's*, firmly adhered to with no exceptions, would stifle all development.  It often happens that product hazards go undiscovered for a long time after something is first introduced.  There is simply no way to ensure that all products come without some risk in their use.

*Bugs Bunny ref.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 07:38:39 AM by RocketMan »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.