Author Topic: APS Pirate Hunting Ship Available  (Read 11821 times)

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
Re: APS Pirate Hunting Ship Available
« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2011, 04:26:11 PM »
120 foot private yacht as bait, quarters, armory, galley, etc. 25 foot RIB "tender" with four 275hp outboards on the back (similar to what DEA & Customs use) for 4-6 man crews to patrol in shifts. Our cover, we're the security team hired by the yacht owner to secure safe transit.

I'll put up the first $100. 
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2011, 04:49:14 PM »
120 foot private yacht as bait, quarters, armory, galley, etc. 25 foot RIB "tender" with four 275hp outboards on the back (similar to what DEA & Customs use) for 4-6 man crews to patrol in shifts. Our cover, we're the security team hired by the yacht owner to secure safe transit.

I'll put up the first $100. 

That's the spirit!!!  A decoy ship and a couple of fast attack destroyers.  Arm the decoy with a couple of Barrett 50 BMG's to shoot out the pirate's engines...
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

birdman

• friend
« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2011, 06:01:41 PM »
I'm almost 20 years out of date on sub design but so far as I know there would be no way to have 2 screws mounted at the same time. While one was in use the other would be a dead drag.
The SSN 21/Seawolf is still a singe shaft single screw set up. The Virginia class looks like maybe something different has been added.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_class_submarine

the Virginias (crawled all over two of them at EB and NNS) has a conventional prop, its pump jets (like a mk48 torpedo).  Pretty sure the seawolf does too.  I was surprised at both shipyards when they just had the tail out and exposed...used to be they would cover the prop (or lack there of) when out of the water.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2011, 06:56:42 PM »
The problem isn't the financial backing. The problem is getting anyone in a government to lend us legitimacy via a Letter of Marque or other anti-piracy mandate, something that the potential financial backers are quite adamant about acquiring before putting up any money for the project.

I and a few others did look into outfitting a Q-boat privateer to go pirate hunting in the Indian Ocean a few months ago. Unfortunately we have yet been able to get anyone to even give us the time of day. The reason we didn't post anything on APS about it is that Oleg rightly advised that I not advertise this here before it got anywhere. As it currently stands it still isn't going anywhere, but only for lack of political connections.

If any of you have any such inroads that would allow us a chance to put forth our proposal in a serious setting, a PM to myself would be most appreciated.

For those interested in the numbers, the necessary start up capital we will need is roughly $8,000,000.00 USD with an annual operating cost of about $1.2-1.5 million USD and as I said, we do have some potential backers already.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2011, 08:21:14 PM »
"Whenever 20 die, there are always 20 more to replace them."

A target rich environment  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2011, 08:38:13 PM »
The problem isn't the financial backing. The problem is getting anyone in a government to lend us legitimacy via a Letter of Marque or other anti-piracy mandate, something that the potential financial backers are quite adamant about acquiring before putting up any money for the project.

I and a few others did look into outfitting a Q-boat privateer to go pirate hunting in the Indian Ocean a few months ago. Unfortunately we have yet been able to get anyone to even give us the time of day. The reason we didn't post anything on APS about it is that Oleg rightly advised that I not advertise this here before it got anywhere. As it currently stands it still isn't going anywhere, but only for lack of political connections.

If any of you have any such inroads that would allow us a chance to put forth our proposal in a serious setting, a PM to myself would be most appreciated.

For those interested in the numbers, the necessary start up capital we will need is roughly $8,000,000.00 USD with an annual operating cost of about $1.2-1.5 million USD and as I said, we do have some potential backers already.

As mentioned above, there are enough markets for the prizes we capture, as well as finder's fees for securing the release of ships, personnel and other assets currently being held by the current pirates.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2011, 08:47:26 PM »
Why not talk to lloyds or the big shippers like maersk?

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2011, 12:42:39 AM »
Why not talk to lloyds or the big shippers like maersk?

Tried. Got the international phone bill to prove it. Good luck getting past their receptionist. As I said, the problem in getting those with 'clout' on board is that their handlers (because you almost never are able to get a direct connection to such folks) don't take such propositions seriously and you get lumped in with the moonbat/crazy pile and thus any proposition you do pass along to the secretary/receptionist/personal assistant gets promptly circular filed, assuming they even wrote it down to start with.

As mentioned above, there are enough markets for the prizes we capture, as well as finder's fees for securing the release of ships, personnel and other assets currently being held by the current pirates.

stay safe.

And who exactly is going to allow you and your armed Q-ship into port in order to refuel and resupply if you are running without any sort of nation-state legitimacy? Also who is going to sell you the arms appropriate for this sort of work? Plus I think you are grossly overestimating the resale value of these barely floating pirate skiffs and half rusted AK's. And finally, and frankly, the idea of storming pirate held ships with a rag-tag group of volunteers is stupid bordering on suicidal. Then there is always the issue of that ship's host country going all tribunal on you (if you survive) for getting their ship's crew killed.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2011, 11:42:46 AM »
I'm almost 20 years out of date on sub design but so far as I know there would be no way to have 2 screws mounted at the same time. While one was in use the other would be a dead drag.
The SSN 21/Seawolf is still a singe shaft single screw set up. The Virginia class looks like maybe something different has been added.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_class_submarine

My understanding is that trying to get a good look at a sub's screw will garner an even more hostile response than if you tried to peek at the nuclear bits.  =D

I promise not to duck.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2011, 11:04:38 PM »
Hmmmm.....how about a sub/stealth ship that controls a half-dozen "drone" yachts with appropriate looking mannequins in crew areas & bikini sunbathing....the pirates race to board her....then, when the sub/stealth ship sees the pirate mothership get close enough.....detonate the daisy-cutter located within the hull.....problem solved.....  =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.