Author Topic: There's somethin' to them e-readers after all...  (Read 11467 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
There's somethin' to them e-readers after all...
« on: August 01, 2011, 01:17:27 PM »
I didn't think I'd ever want to read a book on a screen, but Kindle was provided on my Droid X, and there are free books out there, so I'm on my second one now. Pretty handy when I'm out somewhere and have down time.

The droid has also seduced me into other evils, like texting.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 01:46:52 PM by The artist formerly known as fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Re: There's somethin' to them e-readers after all...
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 02:06:55 PM »
You think that's great, try a REAL e-paper display.

Reads like a book. Wifi/3g connection. No eyestrain from long periods of LED

My black and white nook has a 3g connection that is free. Caveat is that it can only connect to the bookstore. But still, books anywhere
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 03:56:23 PM »
Lots of books available for free from Baen if you like sci-fi.  I've been using my e-ink nook this deployment and it is money.  Ditto what fitz said about it being comfortable to read for long periods of time.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 05:38:44 PM »
You think that's great, try a REAL e-paper display.

Not paying the price. I paid $100 for my phone.  I can't see that many uses for a dedicated e-book. If I plan on reading something, I'd probably prefer a few paper books to one reader.

The kindle on my phone makes sense, since I pay nothing extra for it, and always have it anyway.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 07:56:17 PM »
Lots of books available for free from Baen if you like sci-fi.  I've been using my e-ink nook this deployment and it is money.  Ditto what fitz said about it being comfortable to read for long periods of time.

This. Baen is the place to go. Just don't get Ringo's Ghost series.

I can't see that many uses for a dedicated e-book.

Well, for people like me who don't have smart phones and aren't willing to pay the price for the monthly service...a B&N Nook Color makes a dandy ebook reader and tablet to get on the internet, do basic tasks with, etc.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 08:08:33 PM »
Well, for people like me who don't have smart phones and aren't willing to pay the price for the monthly service...a B&N Nook Color makes a dandy ebook reader and tablet to get on the internet, do basic tasks with, etc.

I didn't think ebooks did all that. What does that run you?

See, the boss wanted me to be able to check email while out and about. Or so I thought. She apparently also just wanted to pay my cellular bill, since I use it a lot for work. So the company started paying that for me.

I got a pre-owned Droid, with unlimited data ($30) and $5-per-month of texting. Well, then the boss lady decided they wouldn't pay for text or data.  :facepalm:  Which works out fine, though, because they have less excuse to check into my internet usage. Not that they will, but, anyway I pay less now than I did a few months ago.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 08:19:24 PM »
I didn't think ebooks did all that. What does that run you?

A nook color costs $250 with no monthly charge and is based on Android. Course, you don't have data service, but you can get on wifi hotspots, which are all over the frickin' place. It can be rooted for more functionality.

I don't get good cell phone coverage on the mountain anyway, and I can't use smartphone screens (can't stand them, they are far too small for me). I have a ruggedized GZOne Boulder for a cell phone when I'm in an area that can pick it up. 

Who do you get your unlimited data plan from? Most plans I have looked at are rather expensive.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 09:01:19 PM »
Vare-ee-zone. Or Verizon, to be non-phonetical.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 11:58:02 PM »
Generic Android tablets with wifi are $100 or less these days, and you can run the Nook and Kindle apps on them just fine.  They tend to be a bit weak for much else, but they do make good readers, email checkers and very basic web browsers as long as you're not too far from a power source.  (30min-1hr battery life.)

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 07:46:54 AM »
The advantage of the black/white epaper displays really shows throw in battery life and eye comfort.

E-paper displays only draw power when refreshing the screen. While reading the page, it's not drawing power if the wifi/3g is off
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 09:22:21 AM »
I never thought I would say this but I prefer the Apple iPad. It has replaced my laptop as well as being a great ebook reader, great battery life and I sometimes watch some tv and movies on it also. I check out current ebooks through my library system anywhere with a wifi connection. free and no overdue fines, after 14 days they just return themselves if I forget to.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

220_SWIFT

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 09:25:12 AM »
I got a Kindle in June, and absolutely LOVE it.  I got the Wi-Fi with "special offers" for $114.  The one with free 3G was like $30 more.  It is way easy on the eyes, even more so than reading a real book.  I also found in it, while messing around, that it comes with experimental internet browser software.  It is definitely not as good as a real computer for browsing, but you CAN look something up if needed.  The lighted carrying case is also something I highly recommend as the screen is not back lit at all.

I was very glad that I took the chance on it, and have not regretted it one bit.

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 03:25:28 PM »
The killer app for e-ink e-readers is, in my opinion, travel.  My nook is even more compact than a paperback book and I can carry all the e-books I have around with me.  The battery is good for at least ten hour or so.  Usually long enough for a full trip. 

Not so good for use as a tablet but, like Fitz said, the battery life is great.  I paid $100 for mine used and it's paid for itself already.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2011, 03:51:43 PM »
Hey Phantom, where you this time?  Didn't realize you were off on a deployment again.  It seems like we are on similar schedules.

Oh and I have a Kindle and love it.  The only draw back is no 3G coverage in Kuwait so I have to download books to the computer and then transfer over.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2011, 03:52:39 PM »
The killer app for e-ink e-readers is, in my opinion, travel. 

I've no doubt. I wish I traveled more often than almost never.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2011, 05:35:11 PM »
I'm wishing for a pad that's a full blown 9" Android LCD on one side, and low power consumption map/e-ink book reader on the other.

The Asus T101MT Pad, with the optional detachable keyboard/extended battery that makes it a netbook, if it had e-ink on the backside would be just about perfect. Hell, even a full speed tablet with an optional e-ink display just for maps and GPS would be great. Can't count the number of times you can't see the display on the GPS in the car because it's a really sunny day.
I promise not to duck.

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2011, 08:49:15 PM »
I've been fighting this whole e-book thing from the beginning (I LOVE real books) but looks like I'm going to have to cave soon. Best Bud has one (Kindle I think) and she loves it, doesn't even buy real books anymore - which is frustrating because we used to swap boxes of them a couple times a year. Now she calls me and says, "I just read the best book, it's about..." and I say, "Great! Send it to me!" And she says, "Uh, can't. It's on my kindle."

But I'm starting to feel like I'm being pushed over to Apple's darkside. AT&T is supposedly buying T-Mobile, who I've had service with for almost 11 years - and they offer the iPhone, which Best Bud has been bugging me to get for several years now. Played with a friend's iPad the other day and I was pretty impressed with it, except couldn't find the "back" icon. And half my writers, my designer, and my printer are all bugging me to drop my PC (Dell laptop actually, but whatever) and get a Mac. The pressure!

I just don't know. There's something about a real book. With my lack of gracefulness, I'd worry about taking an e-book (or is it e-reader?) in the bathtub, one of my favorite reading spots, or on the boat. On the other hand, if I'm sitting down somewhere with a paperback or hardback, it's pretty clear what I'm doing. If I'm sitting down somewhere with an iPad, I could conceivably be working... 
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2011, 08:59:44 PM »
I completely agree with you about the desirability of real books, but the storage capacity, portability, and capabilities of an ereader make it a very useful complementary medium to the dead tree library...

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2011, 10:07:25 PM »
I've been fighting this whole e-book thing from the beginning (I LOVE real books) but looks like I'm going to have to cave soon. Best Bud has one (Kindle I think) and she loves it, doesn't even buy real books anymore - which is frustrating because we used to swap boxes of them a couple times a year.

And I don't foresee any used e-book stores, selling musty old electronic copies of Plato's dialogues and L'Amour westerns.   :'(

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2011, 03:08:30 AM »
Fistful, for once I agree with you.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2011, 03:23:01 AM »
And I don't foresee any used e-book stores, selling musty old electronic copies of Plato's dialogues and L'Amour westerns.   :'(

You can get Plato for free in e-book format.  Give it another 20 or 30 years, and L'Amour will drift into the public domain (provided the Mouse doesn't *expletive deleted*ck things up, again), and you'll be able to get that for free, too.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2011, 04:41:37 AM »
Generic Android tablets with wifi are $100 or less these days, and you can run the Nook and Kindle apps on them just fine.  They tend to be a bit weak for much else, but they do make good readers, email checkers and very basic web browsers as long as you're not too far from a power source.  (30min-1hr battery life.)

You can get a $100 tablet? Link.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2011, 06:37:49 AM »
You can get a $100 tablet? Link.

How about $70?

Granted, it's pretty low-end for an android tablet, but for the price it looks okay.  Me, I'm going to stick with my laptop and smartphone for now.  I'll get a tablet one day, but I'll put it off as long as I can stand it.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2011, 09:52:36 AM »

I still like to get certain books in hardcopy, and hardcover. Mostly classics that I want to keep on the bookshelf (though with Gutenberg et al. out there giving them away for free, I have lots of copies on my Kindle as well). I like using the "Everyman's Library" for purchase of the hardcover classics.

I also find the Kindle does not work well for things like technical journals, where color is important for images, and where you want to be able to quickly flip through pages looking for stuff that isn't bookmarked.

E-Readers do rule for general reading though, and my Kindle has really helped slim down the old paperback collection that was taking up so much space around the the house.

Interestingly though (to immediately make myself a hypocrite), I did just enjoy being able to finish a sci-fi series via paperback. I started reading the "Dumarest of Terra" series in High School. The books in the series were always bounced around between publishers and hard to find. I stopped reading them in the early 80's, only because I couldn't find the remainder of the series. Just a few months ago I ran into Amazon's third party used book area, and found all the remaining books in the series (though it cost me a pretty penny for a few of them that have apparently gone to "collector status"). The smell of the old paperbacks brought back some youthful memories as I went through the final books in the series -- something I would never have been able to do if not for used hardcopies.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2011, 10:28:08 AM »
You can get Plato for free in e-book format.  Give it another 20 or 30 years, and L'Amour will drift into the public domain (provided the Mouse doesn't *expletive deleted* things up, again), and you'll be able to get that for free, too.

My wife downloaded a set of classics to her Nook color, which included the Illiad and Oddesy, Shelly's Frankenstein, etc.  I think she got 50 "books" for under $10.

She got me a Nook color for Father's Day.  I'm hooked.  It works with our library, so lots of books are available for free.  And, I prowl the Barnes and Noble site looking for free books and samples all the time.  Just got a 1910 Boy Scout handbook for $0.99, and had a blast reading it.  Even borrowed some ideas for my kids.  I do a lot of internet stuff on it (including APS).  Just need a real keyboard, and the thing would end up replacing my laptop for a lot of entertainment functions. I just read that someone hacked a Nook and unlocked Bluetooth capability, which B&N may offer as a software upgrade in the near future.

No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark