Author Topic: There's somethin' to them e-readers after all...  (Read 11469 times)

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: There's somethin' to them e-readers after all...
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2011, 10:30:47 AM »
My wife downloaded a set of classics to her Nook color, which included the Illiad and Oddesy, Shelly's Frankenstein, etc.  I think she got 50 "books" for under $10.

She got me a Nook color for Father's Day.  I'm hooked.  It works with our library, so lots of books are available for free.  And, I prowl the Barnes and Noble site looking for free books and samples all the time.  Just got a 1910 Boy Scout handbook for $0.99, and had a blast reading it.  Even borrowed some ideas for my kids.  I do a lot of internet stuff on it (including APS).  Just need a real keyboard, and the thing would end up replacing my laptop for a lot of entertainment functions. I just read that someone hacked a Nook and unlocked Bluetooth capability, which B&N may offer as a software upgrade in the near future.

The nook color is INSANELY easy to hack. Like zero-PC-skills easy. You can put any open source version of Android on the SD card that you wish, and use it as a fully functional Android tablet.
I promise not to duck.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2011, 11:32:40 AM »
You can get Plato for free in e-book format.  Give it another 20 or 30 years, and L'Amour will drift into the public domain (provided the Mouse doesn't *expletive deleted* things up, again), and you'll be able to get that for free, too.

:facepalm:  "Musty" was one of the key words there.

Besides, when it comes to Plato, his trash should always be in a paper format. Burns easier that way.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2011, 02:38:39 PM »
wmenorr67:  I'm fiddle farting around on Speicher waiting to see whether the Iraqis will ask us to stay or not.

MrsSmith:  I too am a huge fan of paperbacks but Avenger29 nailed it when he said that capacity, portability, a capabilities of an e-reader make it a useful tool.  Like I said earlier, they are great for traveling.  Now if only they'd cut the price of e-books instead of charging the same price as regular books.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2011, 03:09:01 PM »
capacity, portability, a capabilities of an e-reader make it a useful tool.  Like I said earlier, they are great for traveling.  Now if only they'd cut the price of e-books instead of charging the same price as regular books.

You've listed some of the ways they are better than physical books, but you seem to think they are worth less.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2011, 03:44:50 PM »
You've listed some of the ways they are better than physical books, but you seem to think they are worth less.

"Costing less to produce" does not equate to "worth less".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2011, 04:49:13 AM »
"Costing less to produce" does not equate to "worth less".

This.  Copying a file costs them nothing, so charging the same for an ebook that they do for a paper book is just trying to get a little extra cash from dumb people.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2011, 06:44:07 AM »
This.  Copying a file costs them nothing, so charging the same for an ebook that they do for a paper book is just trying to get a little extra cash from dumb people.

Exactly. You still have the cost of the writer's profit, paying editors etc.., but there are no production costs, no warehouse, no shipping, no storage, none of that.  The price should reflect this.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2011, 06:57:42 AM »

You're saying that "costing less to produce" equates to "worth less," the opposite of what Ben said. Now, how are the smart people getting their e-books more cheaply? Are they illegally downloading them?

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2011, 07:14:24 AM »
You're saying that "costing less to produce" equates to "worth less," the opposite of what Ben said. Now, how are the smart people getting their e-books more cheaply? Are they illegally downloading them?

Some do.  There's a thriving subculture of people who scan, ocr, proof and distribute bootleg ebooks.  I know someone who's heavy into it.  I suspect these days they break drm on existing ebooks more than they scan paper, but I'd have to ask.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2011, 10:34:43 AM »
wmenorr67:  I'm fiddle farting around on Speicher waiting to see whether the Iraqis will ask us to stay or not.

MrsSmith:  I too am a huge fan of paperbacks but Avenger29 nailed it when he said that capacity, portability, a capabilities of an e-reader make it a useful tool.  Like I said earlier, they are great for traveling.  Now if only they'd cut the price of e-books instead of charging the same price as regular books.

I can see that being a benefit (great for traveling). I guess I just get stuck in my ways. Took me several years to give up my film cameras and switch to digital, now I can't imagine going back to film. Well, not entirely true, I'd still love to set up a darkroom and do my own b/w stuff, but strictly for art. Anyway, I'm sure I'll make the leap to an e-reader at some point. But would it not make more sense in my situation to go the full step to an iPad or some equivalent? It seems like it would be a lot easier when I have to travel than lugging my laptop to work from. And can't it do pretty much everything? Books, music, email, browsing. Can they view pdf files? Create documents? Do I really need a smart phone, an e-reader, an iPod, and an iPad? The work I need to do would be miserably difficult on my smart stupid phone and sparks my temper as much as idiots on the road in front of me in traffic.

Solution?

As to the cost of e-books. As a writer, this is kind of a sore subject. Going the traditional route of printing with a publisher, the writer really only makes a very small percentage of the cover price of a book. And out of that comes the agent’s percentage. But without an agent it’s difficult to get into the bigger publishing houses where you have a slightly better shot of getting your book noticed. Or at least the prestige of saying, “Bantam picked me up!” Whatever. That isn't why most of us write.
The whole e-book thing has leveled the playing field a little bit for new authors, but it still isn’t an easy way to earn a living. You spend months working on a manuscript, then hire an editor to find everything that’s wrong with it, then spend more time fixing those issues. You have to promote yourself through social networking, blog, website, all of which is time consuming. You have to do the homework to get your e-book listed on Amazon and whatever other sites are out there, and give up a cut to them for selling it. For all of that, I hardly think anywhere in the $2.99 to $9.99 range for a new release is too much to ask. While there is no overhead with regard to paper or printing, there is still overhead and while there are some who may not agree, my time and my creativity are worth something. If you personally aren’t willing to pay me $9.99 to read something I have put my heart and soul and energy into for months on end, then I might as well just take a sledgehammer to my laptop and go tend bar in a little tiki-hut in some far-flung island.
IMHO.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2011, 12:20:04 PM »
Ch. 1
The Boxelder Conspiracy

It was a dark and stormy night. Lord Brainford looked across the drawing room table at his new bride's caramel colored hair. Not caramel in cellophane wrapped cubes, like you got out of the Brach's bins near an American-style supermarket's produce section, but more like the liquid kind that got poured over an ice cream sundae... or maybe a banana split served as dessert at a mid-level chain restaurant... the kind found near shopping malls.

Lady Brainford met her husband's inscrutable gaze, it reminded her of the poorly translated instruction manuals that came with cheap Asian electronics - you had a feeling you understood what it meant, but were never one-hundred percent sure. And any actual warranty support? Forget it. She pulled the last of the lime wedges from her hair, and spoke: "Dear, we must really get going, or we will surely miss the donkey shows in Tijuana!"

Lord Brainford's face fell. He bent over and picked it back up. It had been a long time since he'd thought of his mother...

Pfft. Writing.  ;/ Anybody can do that.

I promise not to duck.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2011, 12:44:16 PM »
Took me several years to give up my film cameras and switch to digital, now I can't imagine going back to film.

Hybrid process; best of both worlds.  Scan your negs, so you can see everything in high-res and decide what you want to do at that point.  Most of mine end up inkjet printed, though I do keep all the negs in case I want to darkroom print any of them later.

At any rate, it definitely beats waiting until you get it into the enlarger to notice that you missed the focus by just enough to not work at 8x10.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2011, 08:52:53 AM »
For those who have used them, which is better, Kindle or Nook (not the color model)?   I don't know that I'd load a bunch of books, but I would load a pile of PDFs (I get a bunch of PDF magazines and have other PDF docs as well).

Chris

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2011, 09:20:06 AM »
For those who have used them, which is better, Kindle or Nook (not the color model)?   I don't know that I'd load a bunch of books, but I would load a pile of PDFs (I get a bunch of PDF magazines and have other PDF docs as well).

Chris

I've not used a Nook, but it seems Nook & Kindle = six of one half a dozen of the other. I will tell you that pdfs generally blow on the Kindle. It is one of the only weak points I have seen on it. The Kindle DX is supposed to be much better with pdfs, but it's also like $350. I'd be interested to hear what the Nook people say about reading pdfs.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2011, 09:24:09 AM »
I recall reading about a (relatively) prolific hobby writer who was charging Amazon-ish rates to download his stuff ($5-$10) and making a few thousand dollars per year.  He lowered what he'd charge to $0.99/per and made $500K the first year. 

$0.99 just fails to trip some psychological trigger and folks will spend that on a book if it looks reasonably interesting.  I saw the phenomenon at used book stores, too.  Were I an aspiring author, I'd start go all dutch auction and start at $10, reducing the cost as the rate of sales flagged. 

FTR, I am an unrepentant bibliophile, with several thousand in my storage shed.  Since I got my droid phone in December, I have read more books in my off moments, waiting for this & that, than I read in the 5-10 years previous.  One of the e-book readers may be in my future (only a hackable one, thanks, with wifi), but for me the killer device is the smart phone that goes everywhere with me.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2011, 08:37:48 PM »
I have been inspired by this thread to buy an Arnova 8.

An Arnova 8 is effectively a cheap e-book reader pretending to be a low-range tablet. Or a really, really low-range tablet.

Reviews to follow.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2011, 08:59:45 PM »
I recall reading about a (relatively) prolific hobby writer who was charging Amazon-ish rates to download his stuff ($5-$10) and making a few thousand dollars per year.  He lowered what he'd charge to $0.99/per and made $500K the first year. 

$0.99 just fails to trip some psychological trigger and folks will spend that on a book if it looks reasonably interesting. 
Agreed. For instance, this book:
http://www.amazon.com/VATICAN-ASSASSIN-WARLOCK-ebook/dp/B004SUP3KK/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_3

For $9.99, I would ignore it. For $0.99, I will buy it (as soon as I get either a Kindle or a tablet). Ten bucks is a filling meal. One dollar isn't even a third of a gallon of gas.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2011, 07:33:48 AM »
While running errands yesterday, I took time to fondle a Kobo and both Nooks.

E-Ink is nice.  For reading in situations where I'd normally read a book, I like it.

The Kobo sucks.  It refreshes on each turn and is slow.

The Nook Classic is better, only refreshing on every X turns.  Books look good, Magazines are merely OK.  PDFs from my memory card (online magazines, no documents) were terrible.  Terrible as in barely usable.  If I only read books on it, it would be fine though.

The Nook Color was much better.  More responsive, better for magazines, and handled my PDFs without any weird formatting or control issues.  Unfortunately, it's larger, heavier, more expensive, and doesn't have E-ink.  It does function like a tablet, which is a plus.  I need to look at true Android tablets and see if I'd be better off with the Nook Color or a regular tablet and Kindle/Nook readers.  I also fondled some Android tablets yesterday.  They're not bad, but may don't seem to have that final "polish" the Nook Color has.

Oh, and web browsing on the Nook was a pleasant experience.  It handled common pages just fine, even APS.

Chris
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 07:48:18 AM by mtnbkr »

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2011, 01:05:46 PM »
Oh, and web browsing on the Nook was a pleasant experience.  It handled common pages just fine, even APS.

Chris

I've found the APS mobile site to be the most user friendly of all such pages I've encountered.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2011, 01:29:22 PM »
we have a mobile site?  URL please...

Chris

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2011, 01:35:26 PM »
There are distinctly different interface controls when I visit aps on my blackberry vs a computer. Assumed it was a mobile version, but perhaps not.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2011, 02:03:35 PM »
oh, ok.  I've only ever visited via a PC or my iTouch.  The controls are the same on the iTouch.

Chris

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2011, 02:08:08 PM »
we have a mobile site?  URL please...

Chris

That's what I was gonna say. On my EVO it looks like the same site, only a lot smaller. I wonder if the site only responds to certain mobile OSs, or if it's the phones themselves doing the reformatting?

Paging Nick...  :laugh:

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2011, 02:13:28 PM »
That's what I was gonna say. On my EVO it looks like the same site, only a lot smaller. I wonder if the site only responds to certain mobile OSs, or if it's the phones themselves doing the reformatting

It's definitely different on my phone.  I'd like a separate URL for it, since my tablet goes to this site and I'd much rather use the mobile version on it.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2011, 02:13:52 PM »
On my evo it's regular aps, just smaller and more annoying to type in. If I knew how to take a screenshot with a blackberry I would.