Author Topic: Abandon Ship!  (Read 11488 times)

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Re: Abandon Ship!
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2012, 04:28:19 PM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2012, 05:24:28 PM »
That'll buff right out...
Avoid cliches like the plague!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2012, 06:32:04 PM »
^^^^ I wonder how they will salvage the vessel.  Weld a patch, pump out the water, tow it to the drydock, I guess, but I wonder if it would automatically roll upright after the water is pumped out.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2012, 07:11:57 PM »
I find it interesting that he joined Costa as a safety officer in 2002, and was promoted to captain in 2006, receiving command of the Concordia at that time.
He must have had one heck of a resume'.
'Resume' is not the Italian word for 'uncle.'

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2012, 07:48:50 PM »
^^^^ I wonder how they will salvage the vessel.  Weld a patch, pump out the water, tow it to the drydock, I guess, but I wonder if it would automatically roll upright after the water is pumped out.

Pretty much. 1st they'll pump out the remaining fuel, weld a patch and pump out the water. once the water is out it will float on it's own again.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2012, 09:53:54 PM »
What happened to a captain's sense of personal responsibility for the safety of his passengers and crew???  Did being the captain of a ship change into just a job for this guy?

He is likely a coward, and as such, never had that sense of responsibility.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2012, 10:14:02 PM »
Ping pong balls?

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2012, 10:24:50 PM »
I have a friend who works security on cruise boats. He's also met this fine upstanding individual.

His reaction (and reaction of his co-workers on his FB wall) can be best summed up as: "This was to be expected."
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2012, 11:35:22 PM »
Ping pong balls?

Wasn't that suggested back in the early twentieth century to bring up the Titanic?   

Somehow ... it doesn't seem practical  --  for either ship.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2012, 12:00:55 AM »
Wasn't that suggested back in the early twentieth century to bring up the Titanic?   

Somehow ... it doesn't seem practical  --  for either ship.

It's quite practical for this one. Don't forget that the U.S. Navy refloated a number of the ships that were sunk at Pearl Harbor -- and the salvage technology then was primitive compared to what they can do today.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2012, 12:03:11 AM »
I ... don't ... think ... they ... used ... pingpong balls for the Pearl Harbor ships..... :O
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2012, 12:48:41 AM »

Maybe that matchstick guy can build a model of it.

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2012, 01:33:18 AM »
That'll buff right out...

little bondo and duct tape, good to go.  The whole time I'm reading this, thinking this guy isn't Gene Hackman.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

280plus

• friend
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2012, 08:06:27 AM »
little bondo and duct tape, good to go.  The whole time I'm reading this, thinking this guy isn't Gene Hackman.
Or Totie Fields for that matter. lol

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2012, 10:29:39 AM »
Guys, guys, guys, put away the noose, it's just a misunderstanding.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9022170/Costa-Concordia-captain-says-he-tripped-and-fell-into-lifeboat.html

See, he just tripped and fell into the boat. Oh, and his second in command did, too. Also, his third in command. I guess they were practicing for a new "Pink Panther" movie.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2012, 11:43:06 AM »
I give him an "F" in Creative Lying.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2012, 11:52:09 AM »
If he was womanizing be curious if he doesn't also lose a wife besides his freedom.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Laurent du Var

• friends
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2012, 03:50:27 PM »
The Captain (Schettino) will probably be the fall guy.
But there is an entire system at fault and we're lucky that it happened so close to the coast
some 300 miles east from where I am (Monte Carlo). I'm working twice a week with clients coming of those boats which are huge (300 meters long = ca. 900 feet) 120000 tons top heavy and there is no way you'd jump from it when it's night and winter.

I'm making money on those boats but over all I don't like them much. 3000 paying no name tourists plus 1200 staff mostly from under developped countries and everyone is packing 150 gallons of industrial oil during one week of travel. 

They found five more bodies and there are between 15 and 20 people who are still unaccounted for.
Would be nice if we could have full disclosure on why and how it happened, I'm expecting some kind of foul play somewhere - hard to believe that the captain just steered that entreprise anywhere he liked with all the technology and surveillance as if it was a private yacht.
Vada a bordo, Cazzo!

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2012, 04:35:01 PM »
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2012, 05:13:35 PM »
hard to believe that the captain just steered that entreprise anywhere he liked with all the technology and surveillance as if it was a private yacht.

even though hes done it before? got a thank you note from the mayor for doing it?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2012, 05:53:53 PM »
hard to believe that the captain just steered that entreprise anywhere he liked with all the technology and surveillance as if it was a private yacht.

even though hes done it before? got a thank you note from the mayor for doing it?

Hold my glass of wine and watch this!   =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2012, 05:59:27 PM »
Would be nice if we could have full disclosure on why and how it happened, I'm expecting some kind of foul play somewhere - hard to believe that the captain just steered that entreprise anywhere he liked with all the technology and surveillance as if it was a private yacht.

No foul play. One article cited an initial interview the captain had with the police in which he stated that he steered closer to the island than his route called for, but that he goofed and got a bit closer than he intended and he missed his timing on a turn.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2012, 06:04:44 PM »
Guys, guys, guys, put away the noose, it's just a misunderstanding.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9022170/Costa-Concordia-captain-says-he-tripped-and-fell-into-lifeboat.html

See, he just tripped and fell into the boat. Oh, and his second in command did, too. Also, his third in command. I guess they were practicing for a new "Pink Panther" movie.
Yea, I saw that crappola.
He also lied and said that he deployed the anchor.
The Coast Guard's picture at his initial hearing showing the anchor was not dropped took care of that one.
Class A *expletive deleted*bag!

“Vado a bordo, cazzo”

T-shirts about the event are already out:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9022477/Costa-Concordia-Italians-buy-t-shirts-with-Get-back-on-board-for-s-sake-logo.html

Saw that, too. Cazzo being a part of he male appendage, as in [tinfoil]=D

Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2012, 07:39:02 PM »
At some point they will take a look at computerized navigation systems.  Proximity to shore is a little disturbing.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2012, 08:45:10 PM »
At some point they will take a look at computerized navigation systems.  Proximity to shore is a little disturbing.

Already available and in use. Captain always has override ability.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?