Author Topic: 'Drink Less, Work More', Billionaire Tells Non-Rich  (Read 8815 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

dm1333

• friend
Re: 'Drink Less, Work More', Billionaire Tells Non-Rich
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2012, 04:29:18 PM »
At the risk of violating the protocols of the conservative echo chamber (hey, it wasn't me that called APS that) she should have kept her mouth shut on this one!   :facepalm:  And pay the damn mineworkers a decent wage.   :facepalm:  :facepalm:

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2012, 05:10:43 PM »
I've seen both sides of the coin. I've seen folks working 80+ hours a week and just not catching a break. I've seen folks that basically worked odd jobs and smoked weed for a decade. In general, I believe that hard work does pay off. But I don't think it is enough. You need to actually THINK in addition to working hard and honestly, being lucky. Or at least, not unlucky.

Lot of folks say "So and So is only rich because they inherent X dollars and turned it into (40X)". Yes, they were lucky. But they could have turned it easily into 1/X by picking up a coke habit, blowing money on bad investments or not keeping tabs on things. I've seen those happen as well.

Intelligence, hard work and good or neutral luck.

To make a lot of money, you need a combination of all three.
To make decent money, you only need two out of three.
To enough to survive, you need at least one.
If you have none...  Well. Sucks to be you.

As for the lady and the whole "miners cost too much". While I agree that plenty of countries have very high tax rates, insane bureaucracies, et al... I also think some business folks should realize its in their own long term interests to pay their people well. If you pay market wages, you will get market talent. Overwork your best talent by trying to replace two or more folks with one, and it will also bite you in the long run. I do not think that Ms Rinehart would prefer to live in a country with Africa's level of prosperity. I'm not saying business owners "owe" society jobs. I'm saying enlightened self-interest is a good thing. Treating your employees well (does not have to be spectacular) is good business for many reasons.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/profiles/the-iron-ore-lady-why-the-worlds-richest-woman-is-mired-in-controversy-7848535.html

When I read that, the comments by the Australian officials sounded like quotes from Atlas Shrugged. And I didn't think the book was spectacular. Because the characters were friggin hokey and one dimensional.

"When I see people like Ms Rinehart deploying her huge wealth – gained by selling the non-renewable resources which belong to the entire Australian community – in an attempt to try to stop us spreading the benefits of that natural wealth more fairly across the community, of course I'm going to stand up."

I mean... REALLY? It's friggin iron. And no, it does not, let alone should not, belong to the entire Australian community. And no, those benefits should not be "fairly" (ie not remotely fairly) distributed at gunpoint. Taxes to pay for courts, police, etc are necessary. Aside from flat out anarchists, that's fairly understood. Beyond that, it becomes less and less "fair" and more "I have a claim on other folks' lives".
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 05:24:17 PM by RevDisk »
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2012, 08:30:23 PM »
Who cares? I have family who love me, money in the bank, and chow on the table. Pretty damned good, home-made chow too, btw.

Billionaire buys you...what, exactly?

When the first shovel of dirt hits your coffin...what are you going to be remembered for?
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2012, 09:10:53 PM »
So she started with 75 million. Am I correct there? Re-invest at 10% (which is not outrageous for someone with that kind of capital) and see where she is in 15 years.

What did she do to qualify her comments?

Strip her of everything, give her 10K to invest, and the same 15-20 year period to generate 2 billion.

Think she'll pull it off then?

;/

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2012, 10:16:30 PM »
So she started with 75 million. Am I correct there? Re-invest at 10% (which is not outrageous for someone with that kind of capital) and see where she is in 15 years.

Strip her of everything, give her 10K to invest, and the same 15-20 year period to generate 2 billion.

;/

Are her comments wrong?

Also, I checked. At 10%, it would take you 35 years to get to 2 billion, assuming your investments never fail, somehow.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2012, 11:10:39 PM »
Oops, you're right. I didn't scale correctly.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2012, 11:12:57 PM »
Wait, was yours a compound interest scale?

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2012, 11:20:10 PM »

;/

The rise in price of ore and other goodies from her mining interests more than explains the cash.

Like I said, ironic comment given that she pays people hundreds of thousands of dollars to do nothing more than bear witness against people she hates.

She acquired at least some of her money further by bankrupting the trust her father set up for his grandchildren.   More "hard earned" cash no doubt....battling your own children is no lazy enterprise.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2012, 11:56:53 PM »
Wait, was yours a compound interest scale?

Ayup.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner