Author Topic: Candy From the 1960's  (Read 8642 times)

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: Candy From the 1960's
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2013, 01:11:54 PM »
There are certain candys that became part of family tradition, that where passed down to me and my cousins.

You should have seen my mother rant when she could no longer find candy ciggerrettes.
:o
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

HankB

• friend
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2013, 03:57:12 PM »
Candy necklaces? I remember them.

Candy drops stuck to paper tape? Yep.

Wax "bottles" filled with sugar water? Check.

Turkish Taffy, Good'N'Plenty . . . never really liked either.

Candy cigarettes and bubble gun cigars? Of course.

Hmmm . . . no mention of Cracker Jack or Bazooka Joe bubble gum. (Probably because they're still around.)

Jawbreakers? Ranged from marble-sized to baseball-sized, with many layers? Are they still around?

Chiclets . . . ah, yes, chiclets. Did you know that when some kid at school has a tendency to grab other kid's treats, he won't be able to tell the difference between chiclets and Feen-A-Mint laxative gum? (It's hard to keep a straight face when he grabs the whole box and dumps it in his mouth.  >:D  )
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2013, 06:46:40 PM »
How 'bout Cracker Jack with an actual hardware prize such as a compass, tiny whistle, or a self flipping top?  The current printed inclusions are no prize, just someone else's trash to deal with.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2013, 06:57:29 PM »
Hot Tamales should be on that list, too.

Sawdust

Had some Hot Tamales early this morning when I was called in on graveyard for a dead controller.  Scarfed a bunch while I was waiting for a RAID to rebuild.  Always a favorite, along with the various flavored Mike 'n Ikes and licorice Good 'n Plenty.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2013, 09:10:18 PM »
Candy necklaces? I remember them.

Candy drops stuck to paper tape? Yep.

Wax "bottles" filled with sugar water? Check.

Turkish Taffy, Good'N'Plenty . . . never really liked either.

Candy cigarettes and bubble gun cigars? Of course.

Hmmm . . . no mention of Cracker Jack or Bazooka Joe bubble gum. (Probably because they're still around.)

Jawbreakers? Ranged from marble-sized to baseball-sized, with many layers? Are they still around?

Chiclets . . . ah, yes, chiclets. Did you know that when some kid at school has a tendency to grab other kid's treats, he won't be able to tell the difference between chiclets and Feen-A-Mint laxative gum? (It's hard to keep a straight face when he grabs the whole box and dumps it in his mouth.  >:D  )

They still make most of that, and I've had all but the Turkish Taffy.

The giant jawbreakers can be found at places that have special candy, like amusment parks. I remember taking one to school and finshing the last of it as I walked home from the bus stop that afternoon.

The one thing you can't get so much anymore is real rope licorice. They're was one resterant that sold it in Cville, called The Hardwear Store, but they stopped selling it even before they closed down.
Personally, I hate the stuff, but Dad would eat a whole spool of it, if you let him.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2013, 01:31:41 AM »
The last time I saw a mass amount of licorice rope, we were buying 9 yards of it...

Cut into 1 yard lengths, tie a knot at one end, then another about 8" up. Edible cat o' nine tails

Then some idiot tried eating the thing...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2013, 08:29:39 AM »
You can still easily find Mallo Cups in central Pennsylvania. That's where they were originally made (as were Reese's Peanut Butter Cups).

Once or twice a year I'll indulge my childhood memories and grab a pack, but they are DAMNED SWEET.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2013, 08:38:40 AM »
Anyone remember the GIANT Sweet Tarts? edible wax teeth? Sorry to say I liked tTmag and nowIlikethe orange Metamucil, for a couple reasons. :D

Avoid cliches like the plague!

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2013, 11:46:07 AM »
The last time I saw a mass amount of licorice rope, we were buying 9 yards of it...

Cut into 1 yard lengths, tie a knot at one end, then another about 8" up. Edible cat o' nine tails

Then some idiot tried eating the thing...

Tummy ache is generally not what one's going for when whips are involved.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2013, 11:50:26 AM »
That was Tobor, The 8th Man. I watched a lot of TV as a kid.

Beware of stobor.

Chick-o-sticks are awesome. I can usually find them at most gas stations, and other places with any kind of candy selection. Zagnut is the same thing, in the more conventional candy bar form factor, but much harder to find.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2013, 12:37:27 PM »
Anyone remember the GIANT Sweet Tarts?

Almost forgot about those.  Are they still around?
Those puppies took awhile to eat.  Sometimes took several sittings to get through one.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2013, 02:42:25 PM »
I haven't seen them in a while but yea, I could get a couple days out of one of those.  =D

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2013, 04:59:57 PM »
Anyone remember the GIANT Sweet Tarts?

I used to love those things, although they could make yer tongue raw!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2013, 06:26:43 PM »
"Zagnut"

Awesomeness in candy bar form.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2013, 06:58:45 PM »
"Big Hunk" is an old timer.  Used to really like those.  Still around from the looks of google.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2013, 07:45:56 PM »
I used to like "7-up" bars, and Zero bars.  Zero is still around and might be making a comeback.

I just saw wax lips and life-size candy snakes this week at the church kitchen in Sioux Falls.  I have no idea where they got them.  I wish I had thought to instigate a snake handlin' service.
"It's good, though..."

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2013, 09:29:34 PM »
If you want old timey candy, stop by a Cracker Barrel restaurant.  They have all of them in the store part of the building....chris3

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2013, 10:05:21 PM »
If you want old timey candy, stop by a Cracker Barrel restaurant.  They have all of them in the store part of the building....chris3

Peach rings...

Apparently are a weakness too which some fall.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2013, 11:21:55 PM »
Chunky!

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2013, 11:51:01 PM »
Beware of stobor.

Chick-o-sticks are awesome. I can usually find them at most gas stations, and other places with any kind of candy selection. Zagnut is the same thing, in the more conventional candy bar form factor, but much harder to find.

Depends upon location.  I can walk across to the gas station, at work, and get a Zagnut 99% of the time.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2013, 11:56:02 PM »
Chunky!

I thought of that but did a search and found that Chunky has been in continuous production since its inception.  I am not sure what to make of my surprise at the change from cashews and Brazil nuts to peanuts (it suggests that I haven't had Chunky since 1984.)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2013, 12:06:20 AM »
Depends upon location. 

That's kinda what "hard to find" means.  ;)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

280plus

• friend
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2013, 03:41:29 PM »
I thought of that but did a search and found that Chunky has been in continuous production since its inception.  I am not sure what to make of my surprise at the change from cashews and Brazil nuts to peanuts (it suggests that I haven't had Chunky since 1984.)
Peanuts??? How rude! Guess I haven't had one in a while either. I'll bet the price went up as the change went downhill ;)

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2013, 11:39:28 PM »
The search also revealed Chunky Pecan, wrapped in gold colored foil, so all is not lost if those can be found.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2013, 12:11:25 AM »
Beware of stobor.

One of my very favorite Heinlein stories.

Candies - ah, I remember the wax lips, and the wax "soda bottles" with bug juice in them. Never was a big fan of Mike N Ikes, Good N Plenty, any kind of licorice. Candy cigarettes and gum cigars were always fun, even if the candy wasn't the best quality. Pixy Sticks were always fun. I'll still pick up as much Teaberry gum as I can find, whenever I run across it (not often, sadly). Bit O Honey is still good, at least in small doses; a few pieces once in a while is fine, for me. I'm not big on most peanut brittle (though a friend of my wife's family made some stuff that was FANTASTIC last Christmas), but my mom and aunt bring some West African stuff that's safe for my wife's various food allergies, and it's great stuff. There it is - http://www.savor-newyork.com/products/Better_Brittle_West_African_Style_Peanut_Brittle-414-86.html. No wonder they bring that down - they live in the Syracuse area.

I really liked Tang.