Author Topic: An interesting perspective on saving yourself for marriage  (Read 5928 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: An interesting perspective on saving yourself for marriage
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 10:09:49 AM »
http://thoughtcatalog.com/samantha-pugsley/2014/08/i-waited-until-my-wedding-night-to-lose-my-virginity-and-i-wish-i-hadnt/

I guess it works for some people but not for others.

Maybe not for crazy others. I think she has some issues that go way beyond abstinence.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 10:15:39 AM »
Her last words are the key, do it for you not anyone else.

What I gather here is she feels that she didn't control her body the church did and she is correct in a lot of ways.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 10:21:34 AM »
Sex and sexuality are very personal issues.  One person's strategy may not work well for others.

Good sex is not actually instinctual.  It takes a little practice and has a learning curve.  I'm glad that I wasn't having to figure out my body as well as hers in the beginning of my marriage, on top of all the other parts of blending two lives we had to figure out.  I see nothing wrong with exploring yourself and your sexuality to figure it out before locking it to someone elses for the rest of your life.

YMMV.

Neemi

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 11:11:54 AM »
While I can see where she's coming from, I have to strongly disagree with her view point.

Feeling that virginity is important in itself - and that sex is a dirty, primal thing is definitely not what she was being taught, but it is what a lot of girls hear. Why? We get told repeatedly that virginity is preferred until marriage - but then nobody talks to us about transitioning into a marriage (and sexual) relationship.

As far as being controlled by any religion, no way. Again, her religion taught her half of the principle: waiting til marriage. Then everybody else left the sex talk up to everyone else, so of course nobody did it.

We waited until marriage, and I wouldn't have it any other way. However, we also talked about expectations, desires, and such before we got married so that our honeymoon was none-of-your-business fun. That conversation wasn't a one time thing, as my own family had neglected such talks with me, leaving me to figure things out via anatomy classes.  :facepalm:

Basically, education is important in any subject - but you have to have it beforehand for it to be useful, otherwise you get to end up in therapy due to unintended physical or emotional scars.

As far as finding that education, there's a lot of places to go. If parents are uncomfortable talking about it, perhaps there's a trusted adult to turn to or there's always books. There are lots of tastefully written books that can help guide conversations - we used one written by a pastor from a different denomination and, with the exception of one section, I highly recommend it.

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 12:20:52 PM »
http://thoughtcatalog.com/samantha-pugsley/2014/08/i-waited-until-my-wedding-night-to-lose-my-virginity-and-i-wish-i-hadnt/

That article's just a thinly  veiled feminist womyn's jab  at the PATRIARCHY.

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 12:23:37 PM »
folks just need to worry about themselves and their own interests.  Passing judgement based on personal beliefs is kinda pointless, unless you first say up front:  "In my personal, and very humble opinion, I think.........................."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 11:34:28 PM »
folks just need to worry about themselves and their own interests.  Passing judgement based on personal beliefs is kinda pointless, unless you first say up front:  "In my personal, and very humble opinion, I think.........................."

In my personal, and very humble opinion, I think you forgot to say it.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 11:44:09 PM »
While I can see where she's coming from, I have to strongly disagree with her view point.

Feeling that virginity is important in itself - and that sex is a dirty, primal thing is definitely not what she was being taught...

We don't know that. There's a lot of wacky people teaching wacky things out there. Such as this lady, telling people that the Bible says women have to wait for marriage, but men don't.  ???  And talking about the Biblical teaching that women owe their husbands sexual fulfillment, as if it did not also teach the same for men, toward their wives.

She could be full of it, but taking all the details into account, it seems she was raised by knuckleheads. It happens.

I don't think that waiting for marriage is the part that "didn't work for her." What didn't work were her silly attitudes and beliefs, apparently instilled by her "church." Obviously, if one thinks that female chastity is the magic formula for a perfect marriage, one is going to be very disappointed.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 11:49:28 PM »
In my personal, and very humble opinion, I think you forgot to say it.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2014, 11:50:09 PM »
Obviously, if one thinks that female chastity is the magic formula for a perfect marriage, one is going to be very disappointed.

Yup. My ex was chaste the last three years of our marriage, and we got divorced. ;)

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2014, 11:52:04 PM »

Feeling that virginity is important in itself - and that sex is a dirty, primal thing is definitely not what she was being taught, but it is what a lot of girls hear. Why? We get told repeatedly that virginity is preferred until marriage - but then nobody talks to us about transitioning into a marriage (and sexual) relationship.

As far as being controlled by any religion, no way. Again, her religion taught her half of the principle: waiting til marriage. Then everybody else left the sex talk up to everyone else, so of course nobody did it.

We waited until marriage, and I wouldn't have it any other way. However, we also talked about expectations, desires, and such before we got married so that our honeymoon was none-of-your-business fun. That conversation wasn't a one time thing, as my own family had neglected such talks with me, leaving me to figure things out via anatomy classes.  :facepalm:

Basically, education is important in any subject - but you have to have it beforehand for it to be useful, otherwise you get to end up in therapy due to unintended physical or emotional scars.

As far as finding that education, there's a lot of places to go. If parents are uncomfortable talking about it, perhaps there's a trusted adult to turn to or there's always books. There are lots of tastefully written books that can help guide conversations - we used one written by a pastor from a different denomination and, with the exception of one section, I highly recommend it.

I agree completely.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2014, 01:08:52 AM »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2014, 08:04:41 AM »
It's all about shaming.  The benefits of pre marital abstinence are pretty clear.  The proper way to encourage it is without shaming. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2014, 01:04:30 PM »
I agree a lot with Neemi (surprise) in terms of education trumps experience everyday.

Personally, doing such would suck for me, and knowing what I know because I didn't wait, it would have sucked twice as much.
Education does not trump nerves and some woman's physical make up. That hurt!
I imagine that ignorance and eagerness on the male side of this equation could make that a million times worse.

Plus, IMHO when it comes to knowing what to do to your partner, woman defiantly have it easier then men. No matter how many instruction manuals a guy reads, it's just not that simple.

As far as who you have sex with, when you have sex with them and whatnot, external social forces tend to make it worse, not better.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2014, 02:19:09 PM »
People teach all sorts of perverted crappola in the name of "religion." I went to college back when there were still men's colleges and women's colleges. For awhile I dated a nice Roman Catholic girl who attended a nearby Catholic women's college. I don't know what they actually taught there, but what she heard was that it was okay to neck and pet all you want as long as the female didn't enjoy it.

Then there were the nuns telling the young ladies to never wear patent leather shoes because the boys liked to use the shoes to look up the girls' dresses.

Sheesh!
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2014, 02:26:51 PM »
People teach all sorts of perverted crappola in the name of "religion." I went to college back when there were still men's colleges and women's colleges. For awhile I dated a nice Roman Catholic girl who attended a nearby Catholic women's college. I don't know what they actually taught there, but what she heard was that it was okay to neck and pet all you want as long as the female didn't enjoy it.

Then there were the nuns telling the young ladies to never wear patent leather shoes because the boys liked to use the shoes to look up the girls' dresses.

Sheesh!

that sounds more like a perversion of the whole sex thing to trap boys into marriage.

I.e. you let them do it to entice them to give you a ring, but don't enjoy it for the sake of your soul!!!
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2014, 07:37:45 PM »
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2014, 10:02:11 PM »
http://tylervigen.com/view_correlation?id=1703

I have a graph showing a better correlation between divorce and margarine consumption. Without better evidence, it is safer to assume consumption of margarine is a higher risk factor than number of sexual partners.

Actually, it probably is not, but bad science is bad science.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2014, 10:10:19 PM »
http://tylervigen.com/view_correlation?id=1703

I have a graph showing a better correlation between divorce and margarine consumption. Without better evidence, it is safer to assume consumption of margarine is a higher risk factor than number of sexual partners.

Actually, it probably is not, but bad science is bad science.

Apples and kumquats.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2014, 10:40:25 PM »
There is a difference between an entirely spurious correlation as in your margarine example, and something that has an entirely reasonable connection.  In this case, while the correlation between premarital sex and divorce may not be entirely causal, that doesn't mean that there isn't a real relationship. The connection is likely values driven. That is to say, many of those whose values tend to put emphasis on a lifelong, stable marriage also put emphasis on premarital chastity. 

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2014, 11:41:56 PM »
Declaring it to be bad science doesn't make it so, your gonna have to put up some facts. We are talking about two independent studies of two independent data sets, controlling for multiple variables, over time, with different ideological backgrounds coming to similar results. And its plotted in a straight forward manner, without the typical statistical chicanery.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2014, 09:34:06 AM »
Is that graph reporting on the number of sexual partners for men, women, or both?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2014, 04:15:08 PM »
That article's just a thinly  veiled feminist womyn's jab  at the PATRIARCHY.

The authors mini-bio from the website:

"About Samantha

Samantha Pugsley is an English Studies graduate, freelance writer, and photographer. She’s a married, bisexual, artsy super nerd who loves Marvel, fantasy/science fiction novels, video games and writing fanfiction. She’s incredibly passionate about gender equality, female sexuality and reproductive rights as well as mental health reform."

I question the truth of the story.It reads too much like an agenda.Could be true but...

Another article she authored.Sounds even more like a story made up to further her agenda.Again,it could be true...

http://www.xojane.com/issues/girls-cant-like-superheroes

On the subject of the charts?Who is more likely to stay married?Whose charts would you trust to be accurate,complete,and un-biased in 2014?Who doesn't have an axe to grind?

jeff w

I like onions!

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2014, 05:01:56 PM »

The authors mini-bio from the website:

"About Samantha

Samantha Pugsley is an English Studies graduate, freelance writer, and photographer. She’s a married, bisexual, artsy super nerd who loves Marvel, fantasy/science fiction novels, video games and writing fanfiction. She’s incredibly passionate about gender equality, female sexuality and reproductive rights as well as mental health reform."

I question the truth of the story.It reads too much like an agenda.Could be true but...

Another article she authored.Sounds even more like a story made up to further her agenda.Again,it could be true...

http://www.xojane.com/issues/girls-cant-like-superheroes

On the subject of the charts?Who is more likely to stay married?Whose charts would you trust to be accurate,complete,and un-biased in 2014?Who doesn't have an axe to grind?

Did she save herself before marriage?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!