Author Topic: Target to combine boys and girls toys because stereotypes  (Read 14910 times)

zahc

• friend
Target to combine boys and girls toys because stereotypes
« on: August 10, 2015, 07:34:45 AM »
Is this a parody news site? I am just leaving that possibility open since it's so hard to tell.

http://abc11.com/914421/

They are going to leave clothing segregated for now, but given their reasoning, it's just a matter of time.

If it weren't happening in real -time, I would not have believed there could be a lobby so powerful that stores would rearrange based on "receiving complaints". Especially for such an unnatural cause. Why are there hundreds of millions of gun owners, yet stores go out of their way to post no-gun signs? Why are they so afraid of these radicals? All they have to do is  complain and Target rearranges the store? How can I have some of this power?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: Target to combine boys and girls toys because stereotypes
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 08:03:24 AM »
It's for reelz.

"Tar-zhay" leading the way in new trends in merchandizing.

I'm willing to give it a chance just to see if girls female patrons the sugar and sweet set the cis-normative set that can't be disparaged because gender group starts buying "action-oriented" and "violence-supporting" trinkets.

Mattel already has Urban Metrosexual Dad (Neutered) Ken.  Will this get them to bring out Seal Sniper Barbie*?

stay safe.

* - not to be confused with Seal Clubbing Barbie.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 08:25:22 AM »
Is this a parody news site? I am just leaving that possibility open since it's so hard to tell.

http://abc11.com/914421/

They are going to leave clothing segregated for now, but given their reasoning, it's just a matter of time.

If it weren't happening in real -time, I would not have believed there could be a lobby so powerful that stores would rearrange based on "receiving complaints". Especially for such an unnatural cause. Why are there hundreds of millions of gun owners, yet stores go out of their way to post no-gun signs? Why are they so afraid of these radicals? All they have to do is  complain and Target rearranges the store? How can I have some of this power?

It's part of the revolt against nature and, more to the point, nature's God. There are no "girls" or "boys", and any differences are just the result of adults pushing their ideas of what a "boy" or a "girl" are supposed to be.

Recall the president of Harvard being utterly destroyed for suggesting there are innate differences between boys and girls. Yes, it's insane, but we live in an insane world now.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 09:59:00 AM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 11:01:37 AM »
How can I have some of this power?

That's something I've been wondering about, too. It seems to require a certain amount of friends with lots of free time, and/or proxy accounts; a friendly media establishment; a fanatical devotion to the pope cause...
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 04:35:55 PM »

That's something I've been wondering about, too. It seems to require a certain amount of useful idiot lemming-type friends with lots of free time, and/or proxy accounts; a friendly media establishment; a fanatical devotion to the pope cause...

All better now.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 10:32:15 AM »
Guys, relax.  All they are doing is taking down signs (that I don't remember ever seeing) that label types of toys as either Boys or Girls.  Target is just riding the new "genderless" trend in parts of society for free good publicity.  Not like they are putting dresses on GI Joe or creating Tranny Ken dolls...yet.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 10:43:51 AM »
When our girls were little, you could give them a toy dump truck and they would wrap it up in a blanket and carry it around like a baby  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 11:21:55 AM »
Guys, relax.  All they are doing is taking down signs (that I don't remember ever seeing) that label types of toys as either Boys or Girls.  Target is just riding the new "genderless" trend in parts of society for free good publicity.  Not like they are putting dresses on GI Joe or creating Tranny Ken dolls...yet.

My friend and I actually did that with his sister's Barbies.  She was PISSED.  Little did we understand in 1986 how positive we were.....

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 11:52:53 AM »
Guys, relax.  All they are doing is taking down signs (that I don't remember ever seeing) that label types of toys as either Boys or Girls.  Target is just riding the new "genderless" trend in parts of society for free good publicity.  Not like they are putting dresses on GI Joe or creating Tranny Ken dolls...yet.
The chain is removing gender labels from toys and bedding sections after customers complained about gender stereotyping.

Not just toys. I'm sure the three boys interested in Little Mermaid sheets will be happy that their mother didn't have to go into the "girls" section to get them. Likewise the girls with Transformers sheets. (And I just realized the irony of choosing that example.)

It's just stupid. They are catering to an amazingly, vanishingly small segment of the population in order to give themselves kudos for how progressive they are.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 02:42:47 PM by makattak »

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2015, 01:36:56 PM »
When our girls were little, you could give them a toy dump truck and they would wrap it up in a blanket and carry it around like a baby  ;)

Awww. A widdew baybee dump twuck. Isn't that cute?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2015, 02:03:56 PM »
after customers complained about gender stereotyping.

Not just toys. I'm sure the three boys interested in Little Mermaid sheets will be happy that their mother didn't have to go into the "girls" section to get them. Likewise the girls with Transformers sheets. (And I just realized the irony of choosing that example.)

It's just stupid. They are catering to an amazingly, vanishingly small segment of the population in order to give themselves kudos for how progressive they are.

I could comment, but I won't because they'd likely find out and fire me.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2015, 02:20:28 PM »

Ah, more progressivism, where they are so welcoming and open to all ideas... except ones that disagree with them. They'll destroy you for those.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2015, 02:32:55 PM »
after customers complained about gender stereotyping.

But they had customers complain.  It was only two, but everyone knows that for every complaint, there are 2 billion other customers that agree with them. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2015, 07:48:35 PM »
I'm not sure I get the outrage or how this really caters to a super small subset of the population.

Gender norms are hugely influenced by society. Yes, there are some bits and pieces that are biological, but a lot of it is related to learned behavior as well.

Toys and play are a way for children to interact with objects and explore all sorts of stuff and creative play is the best. It's not about what the toy is, it's what they do with the toy that counts.
So how does that make an object a "boy" object or a "girl" object?

*shrug* Emily hated baby dolls. She actually would freak out if presented with one for a long time. I'm not sure I blame her. Those things can be a little creepy.
OTOH, she adores toy trucks and tractors. It all makes a lot of sense. She was never around babies much and she lives on a farm, so baby dolls are a no go, but trucks and tractors? Those are awesome.

Personally, I could care less about gender specific toys. Just put all the toys and crap in one aisle and let the kids figure it out. The amusing part is watching them do that.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2015, 10:52:42 PM »
As a parent of 5, 3 and 1 year old girls I cannot stomach this.  As a parent I never tell them when they're buying "boy" stuff; I just rely on the signs... and now that the 5 year old can read who the heck is going to enforce these arbitrary gender stereotypes on my behalf?

Do you guy against this have any idea how insane you sound?  They are basically changing nothing but some simple signs. 

Oh, and my little girls (5, 3, 1) love them some Transformers.  They don't know that's a "boy" thing BECAUSE IT'S NOT A BOY THING.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2015, 02:42:58 AM »
makattack noted,

Quote from: RocketMan on August 11, 2015, 12:03:56 PM

Ah, more progressivism, where they are so welcoming and open to all ideas... except ones that disagree with them. They'll destroy you for those.

Needed additional emphasis disunirregardless of the particular matter discussed herein.

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2015, 06:35:12 AM »
I'm having a hard time getting worked up about this.
Now if they start messing with the men's and women's clothes I'd be in trouble.
Men's clothes sizes make some kind of sense; waist, inseam, collar size, sleeve length.....
Women's sizes are arbitrary and capricious. Size 8.....  8 what? Then they start throwing code words* into the mix, WTF would a size 22 Pettit be?

*I've been married 33 years, I know they exist but I still have no *expletive deleted*ing clue what they mean.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2015, 08:12:53 AM »
I'm having a hard time getting worked up about this.
Now if they start messing with the men's and women's clothes I'd be in trouble.
Men's clothes sizes make some kind of sense; waist, inseam, collar size, sleeve length.....
Women's sizes are arbitrary and capricious. Size 8.....  8 what? Then they start throwing code words* into the mix, WTF would a size 22 Pettit be?

*I've been married 33 years, I know they exist but I still have no *expletive deleted*ing clue what they mean.

Can someone explain to me how a man's shoe size converted to woman's size is always larger.  A size is a damn size.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2015, 08:49:32 AM »
As a parent of 5, 3 and 1 year old girls I cannot stomach this.  As a parent I never tell them when they're buying "boy" stuff; I just rely on the signs... and now that the 5 year old can read who the heck is going to enforce these arbitrary gender stereotypes on my behalf?

Do you guy against this have any idea how insane you sound?  They are basically changing nothing but some simple signs.  

Oh, and my little girls (5, 3, 1) love them some Transformers.  They don't know that's a "boy" thing BECAUSE IT'S NOT A BOY THING.

Ok, and? Are your little girls begging you for Transformers? I have two girls and a boy- almost 5 (girl), 3 (boy), and almost 1 (girl). My little girls enjoys playing with trucks. My little boy enjoys playing with his sister's dolls. They also play together with the various toys using different ones to represent Godzilla.

The difference is, though my daughter has fun with my son's toys and vice-versa, when they are asking for toys that they are excited about, guess which ones they are? My boy has never asked for a doll while we are out. My girl has never asked for a truck.*

If I'm headed to the store for a gift for a little girl or a little boy (whether one of my own or one of their friends), it's helpful to have the interests grouped. It makes finding toys easier.

And, YES, this is about convenience for the customers. Target just inconvenienced their customers in order to appeal to people who are convinced that most boys don't like certain toys and most girls don't like certain other toys.

I'm not sure I get the outrage or how this really caters to a super small subset of the population.

Gender norms are hugely influenced by society. Yes, there are some bits and pieces that are biological, but a lot of it is related to learned behavior as well.

Toys and play are a way for children to interact with objects and explore all sorts of stuff and creative play is the best. It's not about what the toy is, it's what they do with the toy that counts.
So how does that make an object a "boy" object or a "girl" object?

*shrug* Emily hated baby dolls. She actually would freak out if presented with one for a long time. I'm not sure I blame her. Those things can be a little creepy.
OTOH, she adores toy trucks and tractors. It all makes a lot of sense. She was never around babies much and she lives on a farm, so baby dolls are a no go, but trucks and tractors? Those are awesome.

Personally, I could care less about gender specific toys. Just put all the toys and crap in one aisle and let the kids figure it out. The amusing part is watching them do that.

Were this an isolated event, it wouldn't garner the umbrage. It is representative of the current battle over the denial of human nature and of differences between the sexes.

"Gender norms" may be played out with very small differences in different societies, but there are hard-wired differences between the sexes and this is part of the effort to deny those differences. Please find a society where the men give birth and nurse. Go ahead, I'll wait. Find a society where women willingly take on the most physically demanding and dangerous jobs. Again, I'll wait. You have it almost exactly backwards- a small amount of it is learned behaviour, but the vast majority is hard-wired biologically.

And, on that note, there are some girls who have a much greater preference for boy toys/games/pursuits. We even have a name for them: tomboy. We quite recognize that some girls like boy things, but also recognize that they are rare. Otherwise, we wouldn't have a special term for it, they'd just be "girls".

There are also boys who prefer girlish toys/games/pursuits. My guess is that it is fewer than the converse seeing as we don't really have a name for that.

Neither of these situations prove that the vast majority of boys and girls don't have starkly different preferences.

Again, it's no big deal, taken by itself, but of course this isn't done in a vacuum. This is Target broadcasting its chosen side in World War T.

*(Trains, of course, are a different matter. The Thomas people did a great job personifying them so that they actually appeal to both boys and girls.)

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2015, 11:49:14 AM »
And, once again, sky is falling...

It's some signs. In a business establishment.  That don't matter anyways.  Target's toy section is what, 4 half-aisles?  Not like you can get lost in there.

Really.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2015, 01:05:22 PM »
Actually who really cares what Target thinks anyway.

If I'm going toy shopping Target is the last place on my list, I'm heading to Toys R Us.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2015, 01:57:19 PM »
And, once again, sky is falling...

It's some signs. In a business establishment.  That don't matter anyways.  Target's toy section is what, 4 half-aisles?  Not like you can get lost in there.

Really.

Congratulations. You just illustrated why the left wins the culture war.

"It's not a big deal. It's just one little bitty area X. Why are you making it such a big deal?"

(After that one has taken hold) "Oh, come on, you didn't think it was a big deal when area X did it, why do you care now?"

(After that one has taken hold) "YOU WILL CONFORM TO THE STANDARDS OF AREA X!!! HOW DARE YOU BE CONTRARY TO POPULAR OPINION!!!" - this is, of course, accompanied by ruinous fines and/or imprisonment.

The left understand incrementalism. Clearly, most people don't- Well, I guess except in the areas of gun rights, it seems people have caught on there. If only that awareness could be transferred.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2015, 02:29:09 PM »

I was under the impression that Target could organize their wares as they pleased. I also don't place much sociological importance on their organizing techniques. There's plenty of other venues.

There's literally several hundred more important things one could address in "cultural wars". Off the top of my head, I mean. Reality is probably several million more important parts. Open any regulation or law (of which millions exist), randomly stab a finger, and you'll likely find something with more real world negative cultural war implications.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2015, 02:59:39 PM »
I was under the impression that Target could organize their wares as they pleased. I also don't place much sociological importance on their organizing techniques. There's plenty of other venues.

There's literally several hundred more important things one could address in "cultural wars". Off the top of my head, I mean. Reality is probably several million more important parts. Open any regulation or law (of which millions exist), randomly stab a finger, and you'll likely find something with more real world negative cultural war implications.

Has anyone argued they don't have the right to do this or should be prevented from doing so by law?

And there are plenty of other realms where the battle should be fought. That doesn't change the tactics I just referenced above. This is at step 1. Many MANY other battles are already at step 3.

It's a much easier fight at step 1, but when people refuse to recognize the battle, it's an easy win for the leftists.