Author Topic: Target to combine boys and girls toys because stereotypes  (Read 14908 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Target to combine boys and girls toys because stereotypes
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2015, 03:18:05 PM »
I wish you much luck in all your future endeavors to continue wasting time and effort over non issues.

It ain't wasted time if it yields results.

Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

It has worked for the Left for decades.  The Right needs to adopt similar tactics to compete.  One of those tactics being:
Mustering outrage and numbers over even the slightest of objectionable actions.

Expect to see more and more tactics used by the Left adopted by the Right.

Yes and no. I'm skeptical how well the SJW tactics would actually work for the right. The meed-ja is not on our side. The universities won't put on big spectacles in our favor. Not to mention that the right just aren't the kind of busy-bodies the left are.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2015, 04:01:22 PM »
Yes and no. I'm skeptical how well the SJW tactics would actually work for the right. The meed-ja is not on our side. The universities won't put on big spectacles in our favor. Not to mention that the right just aren't the kind of busy-bodies the left are.

Additionally, the right is far less likely to attempt to destroy someone's life and blackball them forever for having a different political opinion.

That's probably going to change, because the left will push too far and the right will start pushing back hard.

Note: I'm not saying this because I'm happy about that outcome. I'm just well aware of human nature. Something is going to give.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2015, 04:50:33 PM »
Agree with both fistful's and mak's points, but especially with:
That's probably going to change, because the left will push too far and the right will start pushing back hard.

Note: I'm not saying this because I'm happy about that outcome. I'm just well aware of human nature. Something is going to give.

The Right would rather work hard and spend time with our families than engage damned fool Leftists on the internet, but we neither started the culture war nor did we make the rules. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2015, 11:53:51 AM »
Bumping this because today's Hugos recap is relevant:

http://accordingtohoyt.com/2015/08/23/burning-down-the-field-in-order-to-save-it/

On the other hand, did you think it would be easy?  Did you think it was just a game? The effort to bring dignity and meritocracy to science fiction is like any other battle in the cold civil war: they will bring unreasonable force to bear on it, seeing it as part of a greater battle.  They’re not afraid of destroying that particular portion of the culture in order to “save” it.  Meanwhile we’re hampered by actually wanting to save the thing we’re fighting for.  And regardless of what else happens we can be sure that people like Beale are all for setting it on fire from the other side.

Until we realize EVERY part of the culture war is like the above, we will lose because the left WILL defend every hill. EVERY one, because they understand the power of incrementalism and "slippery slopes".
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2015, 03:07:50 PM »
Okay, I was in Target over the weekend.  Needed a few things, and frankly the Target closest to me is 1,000 times better than the Wally World.  Anyways, I took a walk past the toy section, just to see what they did.  The toys are now labeled by what they are.  Toy cars.  Action figures.  Nerf.  Fashion dolls.  Didn't change the lay out or the organization.  Just got rid of the pink and blue signs and have simple signs with the types of toys labelled.  As I said, nothing to see here.  Target does nothing and gets tons of press for it.  Nice move by their marketing department.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2015, 03:25:20 PM »
Here's the only sign necessary for "girl toys" vs "boy toys"

"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2015, 05:51:18 PM »
Okay, I was in Target over the weekend.  Needed a few things, and frankly the Target closest to me is 1,000 times better than the Wally World.  Anyways, I took a walk past the toy section, just to see what they did.  The toys are now labeled by what they are.  Toy cars.  Action figures.  Nerf.  Fashion dolls.  Didn't change the lay out or the organization.  Just got rid of the pink and blue signs and have simple signs with the types of toys labelled.  As I said, nothing to see here.  Target does nothing and gets tons of press for it.  Nice move by their marketing department.

But, but, WORLD WAR Something something!!!!!ELEVENTY!!

=D
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2015, 08:24:37 PM »
Here's the only sign necessary for "girl toys" vs "boy toys"

So stealing this for FB

:rofl:
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2015, 01:04:01 PM »
The youngest one in my house is my wife, and if her favorite toy store (aka our LGS) had a separate section for "girls toys guns " (pastel etc) she would be outraged.
?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2015, 01:41:36 PM »
The toys are now labeled by what they are.  Toy cars.  Action figures.  Nerf.  Fashion dolls.  Didn't change the lay out or the organization.  Just got rid of the pink and blue signs and have simple signs with the types of toys labelled.

Simple, Logical, and handy if you're looking for a specific sort of toy rather than a random one where all you know is boy/girl.

BTW, I remember reading a study where it seems that while boys 'only' like 'boy' toys, girls will tend to split their time between toys for boys and the 'girl' stuff.

Unless pushed, they'll generally quite happily play with toy cars or engage in a watergun or nerf war, but then go play with their dollies as well.

Oh - and on age appropriate.  It varies by the child as well.  My brother has a kid who's behind, one that's ahead, and one that's 'about right'.  The one that's ahead, for example, add about 3 years.