Author Topic: Is 61 too late for a mid-life crisis?  (Read 689 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Is 61 too late for a mid-life crisis?
« on: February 10, 2022, 10:42:57 PM »
So, I've been looking at this... And thinking...

...about how back around 2003 or so, I was toying with the idea of building a Volkswagen-engine-based chopper trike.

I know how to weld now... And there's that garage machine shop...

https://hotrodjalopy.com/hot-rod-jalopy-builder/electric-chopper-trike-build/
Blog under construction

JTHunter

• friends
Re: Is 61 too late for a mid-life crisis?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2022, 11:05:17 PM »
Naw! Never !!  :rofl:
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2022, 11:12:52 PM »
Nothing stopping you, and that's awesome.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2022, 11:31:13 PM »
The geeky part of me is really liking the idea of an EV build...

But for about what I'd put into batteries, I could rig an equivalent power VW case and heads...

Downside is that I'd have to deal with a transmission, and my left ankle does NOT like that idea...

(I would probably go foot clutch and low-side shifter, because a VW automatic would cost more than the rest of the bike)

I always toyed with driving Route 66 (I live a few feet from it), but having done that several times hauling crap, it sort of lost its allure...

Right now, just thinking local... Oh, that and... I haven't been more than 25 miles from the house, except two trips to Knob Creek, for a few years now... I dunno, but I don't want to leave too far.
Blog under construction

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2022, 03:12:21 PM »
I always toyed with driving Route 66 (I live a few feet from it), but having done that several times hauling crap, it sort of lost its allure...

Wave when you go by, I can see it from my back deck. It's about 3 miles away and hard to see unless you know where to look but at night the lights from the cars show up real well.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2022, 05:47:28 PM »
If you're serious, I've got a 67 torsion housing with a swingaxle trans, drum to drum. I could donate to the cause, the only issue is getting it from WI to MO.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2022, 12:22:53 AM »
I have a 3/4 ton van... May take you up on that. I'm bring some good St. Louis beer.

One of the guys I work with is in the group of state police who inspects the garage mechanic inspectors... This is gonna get done right.
Blog under construction

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2022, 10:09:00 AM »
Is Route 66 worth driving now?  Depends on the natural scenery to me and how many towns you have to fight through. 

Most of the old highways in Texas used to pass through all the small towns.  A few are worth passing through I guess, but most don't have anything left in their downtown areas.  The major highways had bypasses built and all the businesses moved out there. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2022, 10:38:19 AM »
I liked the old towns... Tucumcari, etc...
Blog under construction

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2022, 06:30:50 PM »
Bedlamite, I'm thinking that could be cool... The EV thing is interesting, but I could do a lot more with a VW case and cans...

So... Need any machine shop work?
Blog under construction