Author Topic: Add on 120 volt start for a briggs?  (Read 399 times)

Jim147

• friends
Add on 120 volt start for a briggs?
« on: February 12, 2022, 04:28:13 PM »
My wood splitter is about 15 years old and has a Briggs 675 series engine on it. Late yesterday afternoon the pull rope broke. No big deal I've replaced a bunch of them over the years. I looked and didn't have enough rope. Went to town and the hardware store was closed so had to make a longer trip to get rope.

It is cold here but got it apart and find out the rope broke because something between to pully and spring has broken. Well a rope won't help today. And I can't get the whole starter assembly until sometime next week. So it hit me. I have a 120 volt impact. It should turn it fast enough to start. Now can I get it back off before it winds the cord up or breaks my arm?

Thoughts? One more whiskey to warm up and I might go try this.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

dogmush

• friend
Re: Add on 120 volt start for a briggs?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2022, 04:52:55 PM »
 The last time I tried this the impact sheared the crank bolt off, and an easy starter repair turned into a more complicated broken bolt extraction.  That was on a 5k generator.

You need smoother torque than an impact delivers.  A drill might be a better bet.  Or fashion a temporary rope holder on the flywheel somewhere.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2022, 05:48:18 PM »
I had an old drag race buddy stop by right after posing this. The ones used on jr drag (Briggs) up to topfuel all have a clutch.

It always starts on the second pull so I will try the wrap around for now until I can get new parts.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2022, 03:49:10 AM »
Project Farm uses a 3/8" or a 1/2" drill and a standard deep socket to crank most of his small engines as do a few other small engine guys I follow.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2022, 08:56:25 AM »
I remember something from the 1980s which was an aftermarket add on for popular Briggs engines on lawnmowers to be started with a 3/8" drill.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536