Author Topic: Field and Stream tests 9 mm ammunition  (Read 839 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Field and Stream tests 9 mm ammunition
« on: February 19, 2022, 01:15:19 PM »
https://www.fieldandstream.com/guns/best-9mm-ammo?fbclid=IwAR0Z-_ZT-Zu_EWrd_3N_8xq4yV0qo8Jxby5vHG8ux5-gA0ZG1rjhmEIb5B4

Interesting that 4 out of the 5 top rounds were 124 grain.  I vacillate between 124 grain and 147 grain standard pressure Speer Gold Dot.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Field and Stream tests 9 mm ammunition
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2022, 04:23:26 PM »
I tend to stick with Federal HST or Speer Gold Dot 124 grain.  I can usually find one of those or both. 

It looks like many of the others aren't bad, just not quite as good.  Some like Hornady Critical Defense have really low penetration.  That one is at only 10" penetration. 

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2022, 04:28:28 PM »
I've been using Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P exclusively for 20-plus years and I consider these results to be a validation of that choice.  However, back then my only reasoning was that you could get a 50-round box for the same price as a 20-round box of Cor-Bon or other "premium" loads.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2022, 04:36:18 PM »
Pretty much 100% Speer Gold Dot 124 +P here.
I know for a fact they do a number on hands.  :facepalm:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2022, 04:47:29 PM »
I like the Winchester Ranger Talon 127 grain +P+ in suitable 9mm pistols.

Current availability?    :rofl:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2022, 06:17:01 PM »
I've been using Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P exclusively for 20-plus years and I consider these results to be a validation of that choice.  However, back then my only reasoning was that you could get a 50-round box for the same price as a 20-round box of Cor-Bon or other "premium" loads.
That is a big part of the reason I used it and the Federal HST.  At first there were ammo sellers at gun shows who sold the 50 round boxes.  Later I found them online.  Being able to load up your high capacity magazines without buying multiple boxes of ammo is nice.  The 20 round boxes always seemed like a rip off.  Cor-bon has been overpriced since I started buying guns.  I don't think I ever saw it at a more reasonable price. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2022, 07:21:06 PM »
45ACP 230gr Hardball. If it was good enough for Normandy and Iwo Jima it's good enough for me! :old: :rofl:

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2022, 07:57:44 PM »
Gold Dot 124 +

I've been meaning to switch to HST Micro. I just have to get around to buying 100 rounds of it for testing. And I'm cheap.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2022, 08:05:49 PM »
I like Speer gold dots. Reasonable cost and wide availability (at least outside of panic periods ;/)
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2022, 08:25:42 PM »
I have Golden Saber 115 now, or 115 XTPs that I loaded. Gold dot 124 I still consider my preferred round. At one point I found a case for $250. Guess that day isn't coming back.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2022, 09:59:43 AM »
I've always figured anything in Golden Saber, Gold Dot, or Hydra-Shok (now HST) would be decently reliable. Nice to see they meet expectations.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2022, 10:10:10 AM »
I really need a subcompact .45... If I have to shoot someone wearing a plate, I want them to at least feel it long enough for the followup...
Blog under construction

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2022, 10:34:55 AM »
I really need a subcompact .45... If I have to shoot someone wearing a plate, I want them to at least feel it long enough for the followup...
The XDs pistol that I have works pretty good.  Only 5 or 6 rounds in the mag, but it is compact and easy to conceal.  Probably more reliable than a sub compact 1911.
I finally got a holster for the S&W M&P 2.0 45.  Not sub compact, but it is smaller and slimmer than a many other choices and shoots pretty good.  I saw an ad for a Springfield XDm 3.8 that had all their newest features.  I used to have one, but I didn't like it.  The was too fat for me to get comfortable with the grip in a subcompact form.

Short of that, it seems to me that more 10mm options are coming out every year.  I am trying to get the S&W M&P 10mm, but can't catch one in stock yet. 

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2022, 10:41:16 AM »
The XDs pistol that I have works pretty good.  Only 5 or 6 rounds in the mag, but it is compact and easy to conceal.  Probably more reliable than a sub compact 1911.
I finally got a holster for the S&W M&P 2.0 45.  Not sub compact, but it is smaller and slimmer than a many other choices and shoots pretty good.  I saw an ad for a Springfield XDm 3.8 that had all their newest features.  I used to have one, but I didn't like it.  The was too fat for me to get comfortable with the grip in a subcompact form.

Short of that, it seems to me that more 10mm options are coming out every year.  I am trying to get the S&W M&P 10mm, but can't catch one in stock yet.

Most 10mm are built on 45acp or similarly sized frames. With 10mm making a strong resurgence after almost dying IMHO you might as well go 10mm nowadays. If 45ACP steals your soul full roundhouse 10mm also goes after your relatives.
Thing to watch out for is many off the shelf 10mm loads are 40S&W loads in a 10mm case. Check the numbers.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2022, 11:15:48 AM »

I have several AMT DAO BackUps that I bought new back in the 80's and 90's.  The ones I still have are .380 and 9 mm.  A friend of mine had one in .45 and I shot it several times.  25 ounces loaded, as I recall, and the recoil was not bad.  There are better choices available now, but back in the day, if you wanted a stainless compact pistol in a major caliber, they were a popular choice. With modern lubricants, I have not had any of the galling or feeding problems mentioned by some.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2022, 11:44:41 AM »
45ACP 230gr Hardball. If it was good enough for Normandy and Iwo Jima it's good enough for me! :old: :rofl:

Clint Smith has some similar line. Something about, "Ask all the enemy soldiers in Korea how they liked being shot with the .30 carbine."

=)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2022, 07:31:43 PM »
Clint Smith has some similar line. Something about, "Ask all the enemy soldiers in Korea how they liked being shot with the .30 carbine."

=)
See, he is a big fan of the new 30 Super Carry! 

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2022, 09:24:10 PM »

My XDS45, out of the box was a little wonky, and took a bit of work to get reliable.   Polishing a few places, and a lot hand cycling.  Once there, it's been absolutely reliable, with every ammo I've tried.  5, 6 and 7 round magazines.  And a very good trigger for a striker fired gun.  No kid's toy plastic space gun here.

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.