Author Topic: legal question/armed guards at marijuana stores  (Read 791 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
legal question/armed guards at marijuana stores
« on: February 19, 2022, 01:59:28 PM »
 It just occurred to me, weed is still illegal on the federal level.
A yr or two ago, Hawaii revoked permits to own a gun if the permit holder had a cannabis card. ( because federal I think)
Here in NV/CA one see's armed guards outside of the marijuana outlets - isn't that illegal under federal law? Using a gun to facilitate a crime?

btw, i am all in favor of getting rid of drug laws as well as gun laws - I am just curious about "how" this works
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

dogmush

• friend
Re: legal question/armed guards at marijuana stores
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2022, 02:15:10 PM »
Yes, but the feds don't have enough jackboots to enforce drug laws without state and local help.  Which isn't a bad thing.

There's also the optics of a DEA raid when the locals obviously don't mind pot sellers.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2022, 02:28:36 PM »
It just occurred to me, weed is still illegal on the federal level.
A yr or two ago, Hawaii revoked permits to own a gun if the permit holder had a cannabis card. ( because federal I think)
Here in NV/CA one see's armed guards outside of the marijuana outlets - isn't that illegal under federal law? Using a gun to facilitate a crime?

btw, i am all in favor of getting rid of drug laws as well as gun laws - I am just curious about "how" this works

The armed guards aren't facilitating a crime -- they are preventing the crime of robbery.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2022, 03:41:05 PM »

The armed guards aren't facilitating a crime -- they are preventing the crime of robbery.
So, if a heroin dealer hires Allied Security - that's legal??
 Often the armed guards will carry the weed to a car or hold a door open or take money back inside-you know, actually participating.
 if the guards were not there, the pot shops would absolutely be robbed- they have lots of cash and drugs. ... isn't them being there making life easier for the distribution of a federally illegal drug?

Yes, but the feds don't have enough jackboots to enforce drug laws without state and local help.  Which isn't a bad thing.

There's also the optics of a DEA raid when the locals obviously don't mind pot sellers.

yes, I agree.
but an easy/cheap way to ... umm ... not ignore their own laws would be to disallow armed guards to protect their illegal operations ... banks are not cooperating ( because federal )

cops are confiscating/stealing marijuana money in CA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GKg1UucxNc&t=726s
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2022, 07:05:56 PM »
I wonder how they're shipping stuff? Guessing that USPS is right out, and UPS, Fedex, etc., are also not likely...
Blog under construction

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2022, 07:17:56 PM »

yes, I agree.
but an easy/cheap way to ... umm ... not ignore their own laws would be to disallow armed guards to protect their illegal operations ... banks are not cooperating ( because federal )

Banking laws are federal. I'm not sure that armed guard laws or regulations are a federal jurisdiction. So the feds are right back to needing the locals help. Unless they want to start a RICO case on a mall ninja.

Mostly I think the DEA just spends their limited resources where it's less likely to blow up in their faces on MSNBC.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2022, 07:21:06 PM »
Just got off the phone with a Santa buddy who runs greenhouses in Colorado.

In that state, if you are legally authorized, you can move x-quantity within the state.

Crossing state borders is highly problematic, and generally is basically just drug smuggling, trying to avoid dogs, etc...
Blog under construction