Main Forums > The Roundtable

UK: Bit of a change from the usual UK news - Victoria Cross awarded

<< < (2/3) > >>

Guest:

--- Quote from: Stand_watie ---Now who knows the best American equivalent to Victoria Cross? Silver Star? Medal of Honor?It is equivalent to the Medal of Honor. It is the highest award withing their military and, like the medal of honor, requires extreme heroism in the face of enemy fire.

IIRC one of the big differences is that the Victoria Cross there was at one time not awarded posthumously whereas the MOH has often been awarded to those who died in their efforts. I believe that in recent years this has changed both awards are held to very similar criteria.

K Frame:
Without looking it up, who knows the source of the metal that is used to strike VCs?

El Tejon:
Same metal as a Guard's sword, right?

K Frame:
"Same metal as a Guard's sword, right?"

Nope.

The metals are cast (not struck) from bronze that originated with cannons captured by the British during the Crimean war, supposedly at the siege of Sevastopal. Some historians now doubt that the cannons were at the siege, but it's apparently true that they were captured from the Russians, who apparently took them from the Chinese at some point in time.

Iapetus:

--- Quote ---c_yeager
IIRC one of the big differences is that the Victoria Cross there was at one time not awarded posthumously whereas the MOH has often been awarded to those who died in their efforts. I believe that in recent years this has changed both awards are held to very similar criteria."Recently" was 1920, according to this website.  http://www.victoriacross.net/facts.asp

I think I heard somewhere that most VCs have infact been awarded posthmously, but I couldn't find any statistics to back it up.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version