Author Topic: Ten Year Review of the Renewable Fuels Standard  (Read 1096 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Ten Year Review of the Renewable Fuels Standard
« on: October 20, 2015, 03:11:47 PM »
Article on The Blaze:
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/10/20/ethanol-study-concludes-the-epas-biofuel-standard-created-more-problems-than-solutions/

The actual review
http://beag.ag.utk.edu/pub/TenYrReviewRenewableFuelStandard_1015.pdf

“Our analysis shows that the RFS has created more problems than solutions, particularly with regard to hampering advancements in biofuels. Corn ethanol was presented as a ‘bridge’ to advanced biofuels and a means of reducing GHG emissions,” De La Torre Ugarte said in a statement, referencing a comment made by former EPA Administrator Lisa Jackson. “However, the reality is clear that this policy has been a bridge to nowhere.”

Is anyone surprised?
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

brimic

• friends
Re: Ten Year Review of the Renewable Fuels Standard
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 03:45:12 PM »
In almost related news today, I saw that farmers in the midwest are having a bumper crop of corn this year and are already bitching that the price of corn is too low- due to excess corn harvest.
http://www.jsonline.com/newswatch/334382031.html
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 08:57:29 PM »
Sounds like the proper government solution is to mandate even more ethanol in our gasoline.

On a positive note, my little burg has a new gas station/convenience store to compete with the previously "only game in town for the last dozen or so years" gas station. The manager at the new station told me this morning that they will soon have pure gasoline and off-road diesel. 
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 03:03:16 AM »
To save time for others who did not know what off-road diesel is:

http://www.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_difference_between_off-road_diesel_and_highway_diesel

Having never run diesel (I can't stand the smell of either the fuel or the exhaust) and having not farmed in almost 35 years, and having pretty much lived the "city life" for that time, that one threw me.

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 04:09:48 AM »
The article says that #2 heating oil will work, from what I've read the controls on it isn't as tight as for diesel fuel, so it WILL screw up internal combustion engines, given enough time.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 08:56:36 AM »
To save time for others who did not know what off-road diesel is:

http://www.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_difference_between_off-road_diesel_and_highway_diesel

Having never run diesel (I can't stand the smell of either the fuel or the exhaust) and having not farmed in almost 35 years, and having pretty much lived the "city life" for that time, that one threw me.

Terry

If you can get your hands on an older diesel with mechanical injectors, you can run it on all sorts of stuff, including transmission fluid.

Barack Obama

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 10:22:30 AM »
Let me drop some info on this thread real quick, since this is my field.

Diesel fuel pumps, even the old mechanical ones, are rather delicate beasts. The fuel system makes the diesel engine. Clean fuel is an absolute must and that fuel must have lubricity to keep the pump in good operational condition. The fuel injector nozzles can quickly and easily be eroded if contamination makes it past the filter. We encourage the use of high quality, high efficiency filters for a reason.

Diesel fuel pumps are expensive to rebuild and can easily be thousands of dollars to rebuild. Fuel injectors are also expensive. And a malfunctioning fuel system can cause damage to the engine itself.

The article says that #2 heating oil will work, from what I've read the controls on it isn't as tight as for diesel fuel, so it WILL screw up internal combustion engines, given enough time.

As far as offroad vs heating oil, I don't know if heating oil is ultra low sulfer diesel like offroad is, I don't deal with it. Furthermore, is the home heating oil kept as "clean" as the diesel? Is it the same quality?

Trying to be cheap with a diesel engine can easily cost you a lot...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 10:46:11 AM »
Trying to be cheap with a diesel engine can easily cost you a lot...
But that money comes out of someone else's pocket and is deposited into yours, right?  >:D

Barack Obama

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2015, 10:49:38 AM »
But that money comes out of someone else's pocket and is deposited into yours, right?  >:D

Yes yes it does. There is a reason I fix this *expletive deleted*it and don't own it

=D

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!