Main Forums > The Roundtable

Building Materials

<< < (7/7)

Bogie:
I was sort of considering the mini-split thing in my 700 square foot house, but...

Frankly, window units work just fine, and are considerably cheaper overall. A $2,000 difference will buy a lot of inefficiency... I heat the place, for most of the winter, with two 110 volt "radiators." That costs about an extra $200-250ish over normal electric usage for the season. Granted, I do keep the temp at about 60 - I'm a "cold" person. When it gets below 15 or so, I plug in a radiant heater on a third circuit.

The gas company wanted $35/month for a connection fee before I used any. These things are also quiet.

The downside of the AC stuff is... I'm a cold person. I'm not really comfy above 72 or so... I'm semi-tempted to jackrig a drill, and see about some sort of heat pump, but with my luck, I'll be over one of the big tunnels or caves that run under South City.

dogmush:
Bogie-

Check the local Facebook Marketplace or the like.  I was able to get a decent mini-split for my shop for like $200.  It seems like chinese mini-splits are the kind of thing someone always seems to have a connex of for sale cheap.  Fell off the boat or something.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version