Author Topic: worth trying new BB software?  (Read 5570 times)

Derek Zeanah

worth trying new BB software?
« on: March 22, 2008, 03:48:53 PM »
Was just looking at http://www.mybboard.net/features/more-features and thinking about trying it out.

Thoughts?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: worth trying new BB software?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 03:54:12 PM »
Looks OK. Seems to offer displays, views, and tools that are more TFL-like.

How easily will the databases transfer over?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 04:07:03 PM »
Oh no, not THIS again....

It is WWIV vs. Fido vs. GBBS all over again.  I've been there.  I've done that.  It was boring the first time, must it be rerun to the detriment of all?

I LIKE Simple Machines.  From a user perspective it WORKS.  Why try I and fix something that ain't broken?

If you must test & tinker Derek, set them up in parallel and let the user base decide.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 04:08:02 PM »
It's the users who really matter. If the software doesn't require a lot of reeducation, go for it...

Did you notice if it can deal with things like banner ads? One of my projects is going to want to do something around that.
Blog under construction

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 04:39:20 PM »
I don't mind Simple Machines, although there are two features that I desire- thread preview (where you roll your mouse over the title and the first few words pop up), and the quick reply box that THR implemented not too long ago.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 05:10:10 PM »
And a lot of people are yelping for an ignore button...

But, It's pretty sad when when you need a software crutch to help you maintain a polite demeanor...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Strings

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 09:36:35 PM »
>And a lot of people are yelping for an ignore button...<

That's only 'cause we don't want to listen to you anymore, Mike! Tongue

Honestly, the system is working fairly well (minus certain problem children). Why fix what ain't broke?

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 09:41:50 PM »
I don't see any banner ads, on any site.

AdBlock is one of the best inventions ever.

Derek Zeanah

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2008, 05:22:22 AM »
The ignore feature was what was drawing me, to be honest.

Sounds like there's no compelling interest in a change.

(And yes, I was going to recreate the database and work on copying it over as a test first, but if people are happy with what we've got then there's no real incentive to go to the effort...)

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2008, 05:32:07 AM »
Even though I was the one yelping for the ignore feature, I'm fine without it.  Getting rid of TelluriumCopperMultipleSchlerosis...eh was a big help.

It's pretty sad when when you need a software crutch to help you maintain a polite demeanor...

In RL, it's easy to leave a room, or hang up the phone, or change the channel.  In a forum context, though, it's a lot harder.  Users constantly spewing the same tripe over and over make it difficult to share any real discourse.  If the user gets put on an ignore list, then everyone else isn't constantly tempted to tilt at windmills or get in a YouTube-Comment-like squabble over insignificant BS (take your pick of metaphor).

Besides, everyone, everywhere, at some point, wished they had the power to mute others at will.
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2008, 05:44:18 AM »
My suggestion, since we're mostly freeloaders here, is that if any other software is more stable or makes things easier on Derek re:maintenance, we move to whatever. If it's easier to keep what we have we do that.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2008, 06:24:44 AM »
My suggestion, since we're mostly freeloaders here, is that if any other software is more stable or makes things easier on Derek re:maintenance, we move to whatever. If it's easier to keep what we have we do that.

I concur!  I also like the ignore function since folks have asked about it.

-Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2008, 11:21:10 AM »
I do miss the thread preview function active on THR.

As one who watched Lost In Space largely because I so enjoyed loathing Dr. Smith, I have found the ignore function less than useful:  how can you enjoy loathing a character if you edit him or her out?  Now an ignore feature that reports the who and how many and perhaps with an auto-suspend or death penalty, that might be fun!

"Sorry, your name now appears on the ignore list of more than 10% of the active membership.  Your posting privileges are suspended until such time as that condition no longer exists."

Ah, well, perhaps I should be careful what I wish for...

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2008, 05:27:49 AM »
Something I noticed on another Simple Machines forum that might be nice here is the inclusion of a spell checker in the reply pane.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2008, 05:37:19 AM »
Something I noticed on another Simple Machines forum that might be nice here is the inclusion of a spell checker in the reply pane.

Switch to Firefox and you get that automatically.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2008, 05:47:40 AM »
This works plenty good Derek. Whatever is easiest for you.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2008, 06:21:58 AM »
One thing that I like about this forum with simple machines is that it keeps track perfectly of your last viewed post in a thread.  Even days or weeks later.

Over on THR, once you post a reply to any thread, it seems to shift your "last viewed" on every thread in every forum to the most recent post that somebody has made.   angry
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2008, 06:46:05 AM »
IMHO, I like this forum style best of all of them.....

....but you should do whatever makes life easier for you.....

.....but, please, don't break the Internet again...it's just getting warmed up....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2008, 01:57:50 PM »
One thing that I like about this forum with simple machines is that it keeps track perfectly of your last viewed post in a thread.  Even days or weeks later.

Over on THR, once you post a reply to any thread, it seems to shift your "last viewed" on every thread in every forum to the most recent post that somebody has made.   angry

Exactly.  If Derek could find a working ignore plugin, that'd be cool, but I just don't see any real reason to shift to new software myself....if it ain't broke....
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2008, 02:05:23 PM »

Screw that, work harder.
I demand a new forum written entirely from scratch and made of GOLD.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2008, 04:31:19 PM »
I am happy with the current setup.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2008, 09:08:35 AM »

Screw that, work harder.

I call first row seats for when Derek makes Trackball nunchuks and beats the living crap outta you!!!!!!   grin
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2008, 04:48:04 PM »

Screw that, work harder.

I call first row seats for when Derek makes Trackball nunchuks and beats the living crap outta you!!!!!!   grin

GOLD Trackball nunchuks, that is....  cool
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.