Author Topic: New Joss Whedon show?  (Read 5591 times)

BridgeRunner

• friend
New Joss Whedon show?
« on: February 28, 2009, 05:09:25 PM »
Anyone seen it, have any opinions? 

My husband just mentioned reading a lot of bad reviews and a lot of good reviews.  I'm a bit curious.  I'm not a big enough Whedon fan to be following it closely, I just like Firefly.  Any thoughts?

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: New Joss Whedon show?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 06:30:06 PM »
Episode 1... bleh.

Epsiode 2... better.  Starting to reveal a hint of a plot to the series.

Will watch episode 3 sometime tomorrow.

I'm not much impressed with Eliza Dushku's previous work with Whedon, but then again she was cast as an annoying quasi-heroine/quasi-villain with ego and self confidence issues.

She's broken away from that character in this series (though the pilot opened with that attitude for her), so evidently she has greater depth to her skill than I gave her credit for.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 07:02:26 PM »
\
I'm not much impressed with Eliza Dushku's previous work with Whedon, but then again she was cast as an annoying quasi-heroine/quasi-villain with ego and self confidence issues.

Ditto.  That's one of the reason I haven't really been following what's been going on with this new series.

Good to hear she might be getting past that.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 07:13:08 PM »
Is this like a firefly spin-off? I've not heard of this.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 07:18:14 PM »
Joss said it'll get interesting around the 6th episode.  The first five were standalones because he wasn't sure how far he'd get.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 07:58:55 PM »
Watched the first one, didn't think much of it. Have 2 &3 on DVR, haven't watched them yet. I'll wait till I have a few more recorded, then watch them in marathon to see what I think. I want to give it a chance. Don't want to make the same mistake I did passing on Firefly after the first episode while it was on-air.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 08:35:23 PM »
The series is called "Dollhouse"

From IMDB:
The show follows an organization that employs mind-wiped DNA-altered humans known as Dolls who are implanted with false memories and skills for various missions and tasks. When they are not 'at work' they are living in a real life Dollhouse which gives the show the name. One of those mind-wiped humans, a young woman named Echo, is slowly starting to become aware of herself and what's going on - all the while somebody on the outside is trying to bring the Dollhouse down while getting closer to Echo - possibly not aware that she is one of the Dolls he is after.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 08:51:48 PM »

I thought Dollhouse has been out for a while.  I specifically remember adverts on TV telling me to watch it quite some time ago.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 09:24:44 PM »

Ewwww!!!!.....would that be considered an upskirt or an up-kilt?.....

Have #2 & 3 on TiVo now...haven't watched them yet....hope they're better than #1....

What happened with all the Whedon-class snappy dialog?....that was the best part of his works.....

Good to see Fred again....  =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 09:43:11 PM »
The show follows an organization that employs mind-wiped DNA-altered humans known as Dolls who are implanted with false memories and skills for various missions and tasks.
Sound familiar?

Roy Batty - combat model
Leon Kowalski - worker model
Pris - pleasure model
Zhora - ?

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2009, 10:33:01 PM »
Sound familiar?

Roy Batty - combat model
Leon Kowalski - worker model
Pris - pleasure model
Zhora - ?

Different twist... they aren't synthetic people.

They are real people that get coerced into "volunteering" to join the Dollhouse.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2009, 08:04:42 AM »
Watched #2 and #3 last night....getting more interesting....

...is it just me, or is the FBI's neighbor a lot hotter than Echo?....or was I just distracted by the lasagna?....  =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2009, 11:56:19 AM »
Watched #2 and #3 last night....getting more interesting....

...is it just me, or is the FBI's neighbor a lot hotter than Echo?....or was I just distracted by the lasagna?....  =D

Agreed 200%
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2009, 01:28:05 PM »
i've seen all three.

i was disapointed in the first episode. not because it was bad, but because it didn't have the pop that firefly did. nor did the second. the third is a little more interesting. it's begining to open up and get some questions out. i will note that i heard that joss intentionally aired the second episode first. and i'm not suprised if he's being hesitent. Dollhouse is, after all, in the death spot (friday night).

whats missing for me is the cast of characters. i always though that joss and crews brilliance really showed in the dialoge between characters, but that seems to be missing here.

i will keep watching, but as for now i will not say that Dollhouse is of the same quality as Firefly, nor will i say that it sucks. my judgement will be reserved till the end of the season.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2009, 01:57:55 PM »
Dollhouse isn't nearly as fun as Firefly, but it's still an interesting and unique show.  It beats the heck outta the cookie-cutter sitcoms and crime dramas.

Modifiedbrowning

• friend
  • Best Avatar on APS
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2009, 03:24:56 PM »
Zhora - ?

Off world assassination kick squad.
Give Peace a Chance,
Kill all Terrorists.

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2009, 06:11:58 PM »
I gave up after the 3rd episode.  I have a limited amount of TV time and the show just isn't worth it. 
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2009, 02:48:01 AM »
Just watched the latest on Hulu.  I won't spoil it terribly, but basically Echo was sent in to infaltrate a cult for the ATF.  For the first 2/3 of it, I was cringing, but then I must say that a plot twist made it much less cringeworthy...
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2009, 02:11:29 PM »
I've watched Castle, with Nathan Fillion, just because...

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2009, 02:14:11 PM »

it was ok.

but the whole responcible daughter taking care of the irresponsible dad gag gets old after awhile. i think the only good parts where when Fillion was being a goof.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2009, 05:20:41 PM »

The wife and I watched it, too.  It was okay.  It's going to have to get better, though, before we'll watch it regularly.

We're really waiting for the next season of "Mad Men".  It's the only series we actually watch.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2009, 05:50:10 PM »
Castle spoiler comment from yesterday's episode.

Scroll over to read...

I liked the stand-off scene where he is willing to make a move because he notes the bad guy' gun was on safe.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2009, 12:46:16 PM »
The first five were standalones because he wasn't sure how far he'd get.
The way I heard it, FOX insisted on micromanaging the first five episodes.  Those episodes are pretty lousy.  They get better after that.

I thought the last episode (9) was incredible.  It's hard to believe it's the same show .

Rocketman: I liked Mad Men a lot when I watched season 1; I need to get caught up.  Another great series is Damages.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2009, 12:54:00 PM »
Have to say....b/t the two, I prefer Castle over Dollhouse.....

....kinda makes me wonder where the magic of Firefly really came from.....  =|

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2009, 01:00:36 PM »
whats missing for me is the cast of characters. i always though that joss and crews brilliance really showed in the dialoge between characters, but that seems to be missing here.

Hard to have snappy dialogue when your main character is supposed to be vaccuous and empty of any ideas, or programmed to be a false personality that has no connection to other preprogrammed false personalities.

She can be a smartazz one episode, a biblebeater the next, and a sorority brat the next with no continuity at all.

Waiting for the obvious plot twist to come where the repeated "wipes" leave residual imprints and the Dolls begin to act outside of expectations.  I still don't see how Whedon will have a truly great series out of it though since it seems to be lacking a long term plot element.

Either Echo breaks out, or she stays wiped and docile forever.  If the latter, it's a boring show with no continuity and I'll drop it after first season.  If she breaks out, she then wages a private war against Dollhouse?  That won't last long one way or another.

There has to be a third option rummaging around in Whedon's head, or this show would have never gotten made.  ???
--Lysander Spooner