Author Topic: A reference for scifi writers  (Read 5584 times)

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
A reference for scifi writers
« on: October 19, 2009, 02:34:36 AM »
A good friend sent me this website last week, and I killed almost a whole day reading it:
http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/

It's basically a physics reference in rocket/starship design, along with explanations on how to "do scifi right" at least as far as science is concerned.

Now it can kill YOUR day...
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
Re: A reference for scifi writers
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 08:42:17 AM »
Gee, thanks.

I see much unfinished work in my immediate future.   =|

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 10:28:20 AM »
I have posted links to the raygun section before

Kinda interesting to see fantasy being analyzed as authentic processes

http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/rocket3l.html
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 10:46:02 AM »
I refuse to click the linky, on the grounds that I would likely get sucked in and not surface for 24 hours.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

PTK

• friends
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 11:42:14 AM »
I just disappeared from life for about 45 minutes without intending to. THANKS. =( :rolleyes: :lol:
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

griz

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 11:47:40 AM »
Being the gun geek that I am, I went to that section first.  Low and behold what did I find but this bit of wisdom that would be handy for almost anybody to learn:

Birdshot will not reliably stop a person. It generally causes a flesh wound only. There are no projectiles that will reliably stop a person and not also punch the wall. 
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 11:55:56 AM »
except for frying pans

they tend to stay with in the room they are tossed, unless one uses a mass driver to bring them up to speed
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 12:01:02 PM »
I have posted links to the raygun section before

Kinda interesting to see fantasy being analyzed as authentic processes

http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/rocket3l.html

That's exactly the section I read that made me think of you guys.  Glad to see it didn't take you long to find it!  :laugh:
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 12:40:24 PM »
I prefer technobabble and deus ex machina.

Seriously, though, the toughest technical part of my writing involves translating the speed of spacecraft into travel times across various distances.  For example, how long will it take a craft moving at 900 c to travel 27 light-hours?  That one is relatively easy.  I've also had to do 1.56 million c over 160,00 light-years.  Lots o' zeroes for that one.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 01:11:39 PM »
I ended up in a section about stealth in space.  It reminded me of the The Lost Fleet series by Jack Campbell.  They used telescopes to quickly scan a system for other ships and bases.  It seemed to follow some of the logic presented in that section. 
http://www.amazon.com/Dauntless-Lost-Fleet-Book-1/dp/0441014186

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 03:10:53 PM »
I prefer technobabble and deus ex machina.

Seriously, though, the toughest technical part of my writing involves translating the speed of spacecraft into travel times across various distances.  For example, how long will it take a craft moving at 900 c to travel 27 light-hours?  That one is relatively easy.  I've also had to do 1.56 million c over 160,00 light-years.  Lots o' zeroes for that one.

If you do that, you usually have to focus on other areas like character and story development.  (And having read your stuff, thats pretty much it right there.)

IT's interesting that someone put together a nice reference for people that WANT to get it right, but getting it "right" isnt a prerequisite for a good story, either.

Someone else mentioned "The Lost Fleet" series of books; I think that's a great example of the other extreme; wanting to get details like propagation right for thematic effect.

I find the whole thing interesting as a fledgling, aspiring writer.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 09:58:48 PM »
Honestly, the Lost Fleet books focus more on leadership than anything else.  There are 5 of them so far and I think I read through all 5 in 2 weeks or so which is fast for me.  They books also point out the amount of time required to cross a solar system.  They do use "jump points" and hyperspace and "drive units", but they still talk about taking days to cross a system at 0.1c and have trouble keep up supplies like food and fuel.  A lot of scifi books gloss over a lot of that.

As an aside:  I recently finished a book called Freehold by Michael Williamson.  It was basically about a planet that is a Libertarian's wet dream against the UN based on Earth.  I figured the people on this site would like it a lot.
http://www.amazon.com/Freehold-Michael-Z-Williamson/dp/0743471792/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256003823&sr=1-1
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2009, 11:27:15 PM »
Great link, Nitrogen.  Thanks for posting it.

I'm astounded at how comprehensive and well researched it is.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2009, 11:28:40 PM »
except for frying pans

they tend to stay with in the room they are tossed, unless one uses a mass driver to bring them up to speed

First argument I've heard against greater sectional density.   =)

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2009, 01:15:04 PM »
Mech, just in case you didn't already know, Michael Z. Williamson is a regular poster over at THR.us.

My first experience with an author trying to "do it right" was in Heinlein's The Cat Who Walks Through Walls, when the main character and his companion land on the Moon after launching from an orbital station.  As someone who rather recently thought delta-V was a fancy kind of bathroom faucet, I was completely lost on the technicalities, and it drew me out of the story.  "Fan Service" is all well and good as long as it doesn't seem preachy or smug.

I wrestled with the top speed of my sci-fi ship (1.56 million c ) until I remembered time dilation.  I revived the old premise that advanced races could bomb all over the galaxy at insane velocities, but that it wasn't often done because of the seriousness of time dilation.  Nobody wants to transport a cargo bay full of Arcturian caviar halfway across the galaxy if it means their families won't see them for decades.  This leaves die-hard exploration and the trade of commodities that simply can't be had anywhere else as the only worthwhile long-haul missions.

Ultimately I set the average top speed for most ships at 900 c, which is great for local star systems but impractical for much else.  As for the actual effects of time dilation, which can be calculated with Lorenz's equations, they are so far beyond my ability that I've simply resorted to Author's Fiat (aka BS).

And, oh you of seven protons, what kind of stuff do you have in mind?

PTK

• friends
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2009, 04:08:14 PM »

We're all such geeks.  :lol:
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2009, 10:48:34 AM »
I like the fact that the section on sidearms includes both a picture of Malcolm Reynolds' pistol AND a picture of Spaceman Spiff's blaster.   :lol:

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2009, 10:51:04 AM »
As an aside:  I recently finished a book called Freehold by Michael Williamson.  It was basically about a planet that is a Libertarian's wet dream against the UN based on Earth.  I figured the people on this site would like it a lot.
http://www.amazon.com/Freehold-Michael-Z-Williamson/dp/0743471792/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256003823&sr=1-1

I read this book, and loved the depiction of the society presented there.  I'd love to live in a society like that, I just think it's impossible, because humans would eventually have to live in it.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2009, 11:15:26 AM »
I like the fact that the section on sidearms includes both a picture of Malcolm Reynolds' pistol AND a picture of Spaceman Spiff's blaster.   :lol:

A friend has an original Whitney Wolverine, as listed on the page as an example of sci-fi art-deco lines. I never fired it, but it was the most comfortable and ergonomicaly pointing pistol I have EVER held.

I know Olympic makes a new all polymer copy of it, and it's not very expensive, but I've heard lots of bad reviews, at least anecdotally.  =(
I promise not to duck.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2009, 11:36:23 AM »

My basic idea is something along the lines of "Dies the fire" except instead of modern technology all of a sudden no longer working, ancient mythical artifacts, superstition, magic, etc START working.  
One of the story ideas i'm working on within that framework is a "second civil war", with new "technology" that nullifies the current military advantage of entrenched forces.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2009, 11:48:01 AM »
My basic idea is something along the lines of "Dies the fire" except instead of modern technology all of a sudden no longer working, ancient mythical artifacts, superstition, magic, etc START working.  
One of the story ideas i'm working on within that framework is a "second civil war", with new "technology" that nullifies the current military advantage of entrenched forces.

It's been done, perhaps the earliest was "Waldo and Magic" the double novella compendium from Heinlen.

I think the neatest thing you could do would be to work really hard to put magic in a modern context, such as mass advertising, bureaucratic red-tape etc. Harry Potter touches on this a bit... but they still dress it up in gothic/baroque trappings.. wizard robes etc.

I'm thinking "Harry Potter" meets the banality of "Office Space", with YouTube and a healthy dose of 4chan (the non-revolting parts) thrown in. Kids over-using texting spells etc.
I promise not to duck.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2009, 12:12:09 PM »
Larry Correia (Of Monster Hunter International fame) is working on a book like that. It's called The Grimnoir Chronicles. Basically magic makes a sudden comeback in the mid 19th century, and history diverges from that point on.

If you're looking for something sort of like what you're describing (magic AND guns), check out the Dresden Files series.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2009, 01:23:40 PM »
Just pulling ideas from thin air:

A combination plasma rifle/rail gun.  A hollow sphere of copper alloy is injected with plasma nanoseconds before being firing.  The shell stabilizes the plasma just long enough for the sphere to reach its target, thus delivering both heat energy and kinetic energy to the target.

Total BS, I know, but do any aspects of this idea have merit?

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2009, 01:35:17 PM »
Just pulling ideas from thin air:

A combination plasma rifle/rail gun.  A hollow sphere of copper alloy is injected with plasma nanoseconds before being firing.  The shell stabilizes the plasma just long enough for the sphere to reach its target, thus delivering both heat energy and kinetic energy to the target.

Total BS, I know, but do any aspects of this idea have merit?

Heck, I'd go one better:
Magnetically guided plasma, spun and ejected.  No shell.  That'd be cooler, at least as a short-range sidearm, I think, assuming you can power it.

Personally, I think a particle-beam sidearm would be the bees knees, again, assuming you could power it.

I liked someone's idea of magnetically accelerated projectile weapons, that I read in someones book (it might have been Devonai's actually)
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2009, 01:41:33 PM »
Contact with anything robs a plasma of it's energy very quickly. And anything that can actually contain enough power to create the plasma is probably better off used as the weapon directly.

Also, in terms of actual damage, good energetic plasmas are a pretty close approximation of what would seem like a hard vaccuum to you or I. At least in terms of in use for a atmospheric/infantry weapon.

Although a thin conductive plasma conduit created by a UV laser can shoot a lethal electrical charge in a very straight line.

Kinetic energy seems "primitive" but it's insanely efficient, at least as compared to energy weaponry. A particle beam is almost impossible in atmosphere, save neutrons, but making that many guided neutrons is darn tough, them being well... neutral and all.  =D

Caseless ammo, gasses or liquid fuel powered projectile weapons. (think a cordless butane nail gun) or electromagnetic are probably the most reasonable personal weapons for the forseeable future. Solid-state tactical lasers in the kilowatt range are getting ever miniaturized, there are systems that can fit on a HMMV or small armored car, or even in an F-35 prototype. One that's the size of say a shoulder fired missile/recoiless rifle tube, or perhaps a large broadcast TV camera is concievable in the next 20-30 years, however the power supply is the rub.

Something that was backpack sized that could power such a laser for a reasonable number of shots would revolutionize everything else too. Cell phones that run for a year, laptops a month, "batteries" you could run your house off of etc.  And any device with that energy density would also be a halfway decent bomb if it malfunctioned.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 01:51:27 PM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.