Author Topic: Recommendations for web hosting  (Read 912 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Recommendations for web hosting
« on: July 26, 2010, 01:42:17 PM »
So if I want to get my own domain name, website and email, where should I be looking for a reliable and cost-effective service?  I don't need retail or cash handling or anything like that.  Just a personal website.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
Re: Recommendations for web hosting
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 02:05:40 PM »
I use GoDaddy for domain name registration, and it's my understanding that when you register a name with them they give you a certain amount of hosting space for free.

I don't use that; I maintain a server in my home, because I'm a control freak.

I've seen some people kvetch about GoDaddy's service, but I've never had a problem with them.

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 02:09:20 PM »
Another vote for GoDaddy here.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 02:11:44 PM »
I use Name.com for domain name registration, and have had good luck with MMHosting.com for cheap (linux) hosting and SoftSysHosting.com for cheap (windows) hosting.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 02:15:19 PM by Marnoot »

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 02:12:22 PM »
I use godaddy.  I have excessive and repetitive issues with the email.  When I have time I'm going to find another service.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 02:18:18 PM »
So if I want to get my own domain name, website and email, where should I be looking for a reliable and cost-effective service?  I don't need retail or cash handling or anything like that.  Just a personal website.

Buy your domain name from a separate company than your web hosting.  There's no technical complexity in doing so (usually), and if you ever need to ditch your hosting company due to issues, you're not totally hosed.

I assume you want a hosted provider, that takes care of all the background stuff, compuwebhosting.com is decent and I've had few issues with them.

For my virtual server provider, that I don't really recommend to your requirements, I use linode.  They're friggin awesome.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 03:32:38 PM »
I went through many hosting companies over a period of years, and was never satisfied. Two years ago I found Hosting.com (formerly Hostmysite.com), and they've been great. 24/7 live customer service with English-speaking tech support people who know their jobs. They've gone far beyond the written limits of tech support for my hosting package to help with all sorts of things.

Their basic package is $12.99 a month. There's less expensive hosting companies, but I haven't found one better. (Speaking only for myself).

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 10:41:03 PM »
1and1.com

Never had any problems, and English speaking tech support.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods