Author Topic: Ambi/Lefty mag releases  (Read 5574 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Ambi/Lefty mag releases
« on: August 12, 2010, 09:52:51 PM »
I own:

Colt 1991
Colt LW Commander XSE
CZ-75B
Springer XD9

I've been shooting Steel matches for awhile and I'm finally consistently knocking on the top of the D-league and middle of the C-league range.  Been practicing my magazine changes as that seems to be my weakest point right now.

As a southpaw, historically to change mags I remove my trigger finger from the trigger area, shift my grip backwards slightly, push the mag release with my trigger finger, insert the new magazine, re-shift my grip back and then put my finger back into the trigger area.

I need to eliminate those two grip-shifts.  They're costing me 10 seconds, easily, throughout the course of the night's match.

My XD9 has an ambi mag release and I notice that my mag changes are quite a bit faster with it than with the CZ or 1911's.

Things I don't like about the XD, however:
1.  It's striker fired.  Yuck.
2.  It has a trigger-dingus.
3.  The grip, to the left and right of the grip safety, is too wide and not correctly rounded like the CZ.  I notice a HUGE difference in grip comfort, shot recovery and endurance through a day of shooting between the CZ and the XD.  The XD is too wide in that section of the grip and results in bruising to the index finger's metacarpal area.  The XD frame's thumb shelves (left and right sides) are also incorrectly positioned for my large hands.
4.  The distance from backstrap to trigger face is too short for me.

Long story short, I need:

1.  Hammer driven.
2.  No trigger-dingus.
3.  Grip like a CZ, BHP, or 1911 with arched MSH.
4.  Ambi mag release.
5.  Low bore axis.
6.  Able to be carried C&L SA

I'm willing to possibly overlook the hammer-driven requirement for a striker gun if it doesn't have a dingus that rubs the finger raw, and the striker doesn't SPROING! like a cheap Nerf gun when you dry-fire it.  I have yet to find a striker/polymer gun that doesn't feel like a Nerf gun (XD, Glock included in that assessment).

Ideally, this would be a doublestack 9mm.  Mags should cost no more than $30 each, as I'll need at least 5 total.

Anyone got suggestions? 
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: Ambi/Lefty mag releases
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 09:58:12 PM »
Why don't you get an ambi mag release for your 1911 if that is the gun you want to use. Either that of find a Randall LH 1911. They are out there.

bob

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 09:59:27 PM »
I have a HK usp 9mm that has a ambi release. maybe look into some of there other offerings/calibers.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 10:02:25 PM »
The M&P might be what you are looking for with a couple of modifications (like the Apex trigger kit for a fine trigger). It has a switchable mag release but isn't truly ambi, if you can deal with that. It has a trigger safety, but the whole trigger is hinged instead of having a blade type device. Also, they come in manual safety versions (but you'll have to tweak it to get it "crisp" and positive). And I just hear a "click" when I pull the trigger during dryfire, no sproing like you describe.

S&W often has a rebate going on to where you can get the gun with two mags.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 10:04:15 PM »
Why don't you get an ambi mag release for your 1911 if that is the gun you want to use. Either that of find a Randall LH 1911. They are out there.

bob

Where?

I wasn't aware that 1911's could be converted to an ambi/lefty mag release.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 10:05:19 PM »
I have a HK usp 9mm that has a ambi release. maybe look into some of there other offerings/calibers.

I'm not sure if the HK P30 has ambi controls, but it is a fine handgun. And hammer fired.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 10:32:36 PM »
Sounds like you want to try out a Beretta 92.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 10:34:57 PM »
Where?

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=30897/pid=12749/sku/S_S_Ambi_Mag_Catch__fits_Colts___Clones_1911?source=CJ

If you have a C&R (or know someone)registered with Brownells you can get it for 78 dollars.

http://www.smithandalexander.com/guides.html

Midway sell a Cylinder and Slide ambi release. This website http://reasonablenut.blogspot.com/2006_10_01_archive.html shows how it looks and works.

bob

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 10:57:37 PM »
That cylinder and slide one looks mickey-mouse.

The smith alexander one looks intriguing, but I cannot find any video anywhere of its use.  I'd like to see how it operates, mechanically, and how far the right-side mag button protrudes from the side of the frame (if that would be a problem for my holsters).

I'd much rather doctor my existing 1911's and CZ than take on yet another platform.

I'll give the XD another chance in the rotation, until I get and install and am happy with an ambi mag release as an aftermarket product for the other pistols.
--Lysander Spooner

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 11:39:16 PM »
If you want to stick with your 1911 then reversing the mag release is your cheapest solution. I hardly see an ambi-mag release on a steel gun. The ones I've seen have almost always been straight up reversed.

The only guns I can think of that come with are the Beretta 92 and Px4 Storm, and the FNH FNX. HK must make one with an ambi-mag release, too.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 12:25:13 AM »
Where?

Smith & Alexander makes it. It's available from Brownells. If you want to move to a hi-cap, they also have it for the para-Ordnance double stacks

1911 part # 849-008-101 (ss) or 849-008-001 (blue)

Para part # 849-008-102 (ss) or 849-008-002 (blue)

If you want to stick with your 1911 then reversing the mag release is your cheapest solution. I hardly see an ambi-mag release on a steel gun. The ones I've seen have almost always been straight up reversed.

How could you reverse the mag release on a 1911? Even if you could weld up and machine the frame in mirror image, the magazines will have the notch on the wrong side.

I haven't tried it -- I'm not a southpaw.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 12:30:07 AM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2010, 12:58:33 AM »
I have no idea. I'm a righty, too. The folks I knew with the reversed mag releases had them on all the steel guns they own though. Sig, CZ, Hi-Powers, 92's, 1911's.

Would a mag mod be the only extra step needed though?

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2010, 01:18:42 AM »
Smith and Alexander make an ambidextrous mag release button. It fits in the cutout on the right side of the grip frame, and has an additional button. You can view it here.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2010, 08:50:37 AM »
--delete--
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2010, 02:28:34 AM »
A CZ-85 fits all of your criteria except for SAO, and you can probably convert to SAO(it can be done with -75s, but I don't know if the other ambi stuff on an -85 would interfere).  The CZ-85's mag release is not truly ambidextrous, but reversible.

You could also go with a CZ-75 SA in 9mm, but you lose the ambi safety and slide release.