Author Topic: In downtown Philly  (Read 5574 times)

taurusowner

In downtown Philly
« on: October 28, 2010, 02:25:47 PM »
Doing some sight seeing with buddies in downtown Philly PA right now.  Unfortunately since we're probably going to Independence Hall and other Federal sites, no Glock 19 for me.  Not even a folding knife.   =|

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: In downtown Philly
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 04:01:52 PM »
I picked up a 2- 3/8" one-handed folding knife for just such purposes.  Federal Legal is 2-1/2", at least in the building I frequent.  At least that's what the sign says. 

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

GAGGER

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 04:11:38 PM »
Head south to Tony lukes under I-95 on oregon ave, best sammiches around.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 04:35:59 PM »
Head south to Tony lukes under I-95 on oregon ave, best sammiches around.

Don't forget to add the broccoli rab.  Good stuff!

Chris

GAGGER

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 04:55:29 PM »
yum, roasted pork w\ broccoli rabe and sharp provolone, /drool

taurusowner

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 05:50:23 PM »
Any great bars or pubs I should check out? Especially ones with young lady types? ;)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 06:55:19 PM »
I picked up a 2- 3/8" one-handed folding knife for just such purposes.  Federal Legal is 2-1/2", at least in the building I frequent.  At least that's what the sign says. 

Or you can do what I do: Go to Lowe's or your other large bigbox hardware store and buy the Stanley FatMax Xtreme chisel tip marker. A two pack sells for just under $ 4 at my local Lowe's.

These make excellent improvised kubotans or fist loads and raise no eyebrows clipped into your shirt pocket. I used to be a kubotan instructor and I think these markers work very, very well due to the sturdy construction. They go through security at the courthouse and the airport whereas my classic Monadnock plastic kubotans do not. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 12:46:11 AM »
not to knock your pen, but i prefer the rounded shape of a industrial sharpie >:D the ends are nice and small/pointy. >:D might be worth checking out. =)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 10:01:07 AM »
In my experience, some of the Sharpies break when used as a kubotan (wrist locks) or as a fist load (striking).  If you like the Sharpie shape, the Pocket Shark from Cold Steel could be an option, or some of the thicker Sharpies used as lumber/construction markers could work.  In addition, the new stainless steel refillable Sharpie (http://www.amazon.com/Sharpie-Stainless-Permanent-Marker-1747388/dp/B001V9LQLG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=office-products&qid=1288361110&sr=8-1) are getting a lot of attention in the EDC community as an improvised kubotan.   I bought a few Pocket Sharks, and they are frankly too large and the markings too prominent for my taste and ease of carry.  The markings are impervious to solvents and have to be sanded off.  
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 10:07:27 AM by MillCreek »

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 10:14:44 AM »
Any great bars or pubs I should check out? Especially ones with young lady types? ;)

Yea, I doubt you would want to go to the ones I'd recommend.   =D

South Street and Society Hill aren't that bad. 

If you head west of Philly, gimme a call.  I'm about an hour away from ya.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 10:36:50 AM »
In my experience, some of the Sharpies break when used as a kubotan (wrist locks) or as a fist load (striking).  If you like the Sharpie shape, the Pocket Shark from Cold Steel could be an option, or some of the thicker Sharpies used as lumber/construction markers could work.  In addition, the new stainless steel refillable Sharpie (http://www.amazon.com/Sharpie-Stainless-Permanent-Marker-1747388/dp/B001V9LQLG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=office-products&qid=1288361110&sr=8-1) are getting a lot of attention in the EDC community as an improvised kubotan.   I bought a few Pocket Sharks, and they are frankly too large and the markings too prominent for my taste and ease of carry.  The markings are impervious to solvents and have to be sanded off. 

There is this (or one of the myriad similar pens): http://www.amazon.com/Schrade-SCPENG-Tactical-Pen-Grey/dp/B002CQXM1Y/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=IURUZ2P6B1TQL&colid=JDAHAJBKPF4M

Chris

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2010, 07:12:00 PM »
that stainless sharpie is sweet. =D

as for braking them, i've sat and stepped on the industrials and haven't broke one yet.(probably will now :facepalm:) maybe there thicker?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2010, 07:34:46 PM »
^^^ I am going to have to try to find some and check them out.

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2010, 03:46:31 AM »
If you're still in Philly, check out the Dark Horse tomorrow (Sunday) night, we're throwing a big Halloween party.  Head to the dining room (2nd floor) and ask for Pat.  8pm ish.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2010, 05:03:20 AM »
Apropos of nothing but I will be in Haddonfield, NJ ("North Camden", just across the river) this Christmas with family (will probably be moving there for law school) and will be seeing a friend of mine in Philly for a couple days.

Not sure if I can pull it off but I wouldn't mind meeting up with some APS-ers for a beer.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

zahc

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2010, 10:01:49 AM »
Maybe you don't fit the right demographic to be hassled, but depending on the city, walking around with fat markers in plain sight is a sure way to get hassled by cops, who will assume you are graffiti artist.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2010, 01:42:00 AM »
what I would do is buy some cheapo folders and stash them outside before you go in to a secure building.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2010, 02:57:07 PM »
Be sure to stop by Doc Johnson's Medical Products.  Last time I was there they were on Walnut Street near the Holiday Inn.  Take the tour and be sure to stop and talk with the senior citizen ladies who pain the veins.  Given his demise years ago I doubt they still call the best seller the "John Holmes" but I'm willing to bet they are just marketing it under some other name.  Also check to see how they make the "John Wayne Bobbitt" model. :angel:

AS far as I recall they do not give away samples.  The women I was with when I took the tour asked.  They were disappointed.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2010, 03:42:04 PM »
In downtown Philly
Born and raised...
Basketball court is where I'm spending my days!
Got in one little fight, and my mom got scared...
I promise not to duck.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2010, 08:39:40 PM »
re: the stainless steel sharpie.

Walmart.  Picked up 3 the other day for $5.88 each.  Office Depot was sold out.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2010, 08:05:46 AM »
guess who's going to walmart tonight. >:D

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah