Author Topic: Gun and knife companies with obnoxious web sites.  (Read 5577 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Gun and knife companies with obnoxious web sites.
« on: August 04, 2012, 05:50:01 PM »
Why do gun and knife manufacturers insist on these stupid, bloated web sites, that spend half their time telling me that they're "loading" some gimmicky flash nonsense?  ;/

http://www.springfield-armory.com/

Just show me a page full of your products, with little thumbnail photos, product name/number, and a few specs. If I want further info on an item, I click on it, and you show me a web page for that model. Why do they make it complicated?  =|
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Blakenzy

• friend
Re: Gun and knife companies with obnoxious web sites.
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 06:55:24 PM »
It's flashy tech... It's got what people crave...

"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

HForrest

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 07:06:36 PM »
Yeah, Springfield Armory's site has long been one of the worst of the gun manufacturers in that regard. It's not just guns and knives, either... seems like more and more of the web keeps switching over to ridiculous unnecessarily resource/bandwidth intensive flash/interactive/web 2.0 styling every day.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 07:18:39 PM »
Yeah, Springfield Armory's site has long been one of the worst of the gun manufacturers in that regard. It's not just guns and knives, either... seems like more and more of the web keeps switching over to ridiculous unnecessarily resource/bandwidth intensive flash/interactive/web 2.0 styling every day.

I'm sure it's not just the cool toy websites - those are just the manufacturers' sites I happen to see most often.

I thought web designers and businesses were supposed to have learned their lesson years ago, that people don't like that garbage.  =|

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 07:22:10 PM »
Yea, after that major change several years ago, I have ignored them completely.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 07:27:30 PM »
...those are just the manufacturers' sites I happen to see most often.

Well, there you are:  the fault is yours. =D
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 07:41:15 PM »
Yea, after that major change several years ago, I have ignored them completely.

So do I. Especially since I do most of my surfing on my ipad, which doesn't have Flash player.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 07:53:55 PM »
Why do gun and knife manufacturers insist on these stupid, bloated web sites, that spend half their time telling me that they're "loading" some gimmicky flash nonsense?  ;/

In lieu of free moccasins.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 09:00:01 PM »
Needs more cowbell!
Avoid cliches like the plague!

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 10:51:43 PM »
Those with the LOUD auto-play videos piss me off to a great degree. Especially if they use a media player w/o a volume button. I have to use the PC main audio control, which really sets me off...

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 12:18:12 AM »

http://www.springfield-armory.com/

Just show me a page full of your products, with little thumbnail photos, product name/number, and a few specs. If I want further info on an item, I click on it, and you show me a web page for that model. Why do they make it complicated?  =|

I have the same complaint. I think the reason for it is that the companies hire web designers to create their sites, and DON'T give the designers any real direction ... such as "make sure the pages load fast so customers with slow computers don't have to wait!" To the web designers, it's all one big game. They get paid to see how many of the latest resource-sucking toys they can possibly squeeze into one web page. What's not to like?

I've taken to just bailing out on sites with lengthy Flash intros. I just write to the head of the company and explain that I have better things to do with my time than wait for their useless intro to load, so I'll just take my business to a company that doesn't waste resources (and my time) like that. Most of them now have an option to click past the Flash intro, but a site that even has a Flash intro is likely to run as slow as molasses in January throughout because the designer isn't interested in what the customer needs, he is interested in showing off what a cool web designer he is.

Spare me.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 09:08:46 AM »
Best gun websites are Ruger and Charter Arms.....all the info you need & no Flash crap you don't....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 10:06:54 AM »
I always thought www.zombo.com was okay, and worth the wait for their flash site to load.
I promise not to duck.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 10:37:42 AM »
I hate springfield's website also.

Thankfully, I love XD pistols and can get any info I want off the XD forums :_D
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 10:41:53 AM »
I always thought www.zombo.com was okay, and worth the wait for their flash site to load.

Absolutely.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2012, 10:53:52 AM »
Bushnell has a terrible site, too. Kimber's site has always been attractive, and reasonably functional even though it uses Flash.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2012, 11:03:11 AM »
gimmicky flash nonsense
How about flashy gimmicky nonsense like Cold Steel or Extreme Shock?
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2012, 09:39:46 PM »
Nothing says tacticool like an ! in your name:  http://www.blackhawk.com/
But brimic is right about Extreme Shock (for real ninjas only)  http://www.extremeshockusa.com/
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2012, 11:11:12 PM »
But brimic is right about Extreme Shock (for real ninjas only)  http://www.extremeshockusa.com/

That site makes me feel like I just ran into a coloring book owned by an 8 year-old that has recently watched a marathon of 90's action films...
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2012, 02:43:38 PM »
That site makes me feel like I just ran into a coloring book owned by an 8 year-old that has recently watched a marathon of 90's action films...

And yet I felt compelled to click the link.  :facepalm:
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2012, 03:57:20 PM »
I looked at the title and guessed, before clicking, that this was about Springfield Armory.  lol.

Yeah, I hate their homepage too.  Always trying to direct you to some XDm garbage.

I own an XD... but when I find myself going there I want the menuing system to visit some info about M1A's or 1911's.  Instead I get to wait and get misdirected or have to click-thru to get to the real part of the site I want.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!