Author Topic: Texas->North Carolina  (Read 5585 times)

zahc

• friend
Texas->North Carolina
« on: March 20, 2013, 01:19:39 PM »
My Texas likes: weather is ok, economy is good, gun/homeschool/misc laws are pretty decent, no income tax
My Texas Hates: No open carry, too flat, no basements, can't grow anything, windy all the time, alcohol laws aren't that great

I'm looking at some jobs in the Raleigh area. Anyone live in N.C. and want to give me their list?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Texas->North Carolina
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 01:29:24 PM »
My Texas likes: weather is ok, economy is good, gun/homeschool/misc laws are pretty decent, no income tax
My Texas Hates: No open carry, too flat, no basements, can't grow anything, windy all the time, alcohol laws aren't that great

I'm looking at some jobs in the Raleigh area. Anyone live in N.C. and want to give me their list?

Flat / crummy topography depends on where you live.  Panhandle?  Oh, yeah.  But, there are the E Texas piney woods, the hill country in central Texas, mountains in W & S Texas, desert in W Texas.

Same with wind.  Depends on where & when you are.  Not so much in E Texas.  W Texas?  What was that?  I can't hear you over the wind.

You can grow about anything in Texas.  Just gotta give it water.  For a few years, I saw the former cotton fields in S Texas covered in corn, for Pete's sake.

BUt other than those nuances, you got it about right.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 01:41:47 PM »
NC is rather nanny stateish. More details late tonight.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 01:47:43 PM »
NC is rather nanny stateish. More details late tonight.

I've heard more than one person refer to NC as the "New Jersey of the South". 

You are requried to get a purchase permit to buy a handgun, including FTF sales.

I have family and friends in NC and went to HS there.  I'd rank living in Texas above living in NC.

Raleigh area is decent.  Stay away from the Durham side.  Cary and that area are really nice suburbs, but 'spensive.

The beaches are beautiful.

http://www.ncrpa.org/ncgunfaq.htm
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 01:52:00 PM »
I've heard more than one person refer to NC as the "New Jersey of the South". 

You are requried to get a purchase permit to buy a handgun, including FTF sales.

I have family and friends in NC and went to HS there.  I'd rank living in Texas above living in NC.

Raleigh area is decent.  Stay away from the Durham side.  Cary and that area are really nice suburbs, but 'spensive.

The beaches are beautiful.

http://www.ncrpa.org/ncgunfaq.htm

Dont forget taxes, IIRC NC taxes are fairly high

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: Texas->North Carolina
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 02:07:43 PM »
NC suffer a massive yuppie infestation. Typical liberal centers hijack a good bit of state politics. S.C. is much better off imo, even though we're far from perfect. Actually, most all of the neighboring states are better off imo.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 02:26:10 PM »
NC suffer a massive yuppie infestation. Typical liberal centers hijack a good bit of state politics. S.C. is much better off imo, even though we're far from perfect. Actually, most all of the neighboring states are better off imo.

Yep. If you like hippies, hipsters, and bedwetting leftists youll love NC

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 02:29:15 PM »
Move to Asheville, it is a hotbed of traditional American values.  :rofl:
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
Re: Re: Re: Texas->North Carolina
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 02:54:21 PM »
Move to Asheville, it is a hotbed of traditional American values.  :rofl:
that is a damned lie...all these nice little WNC towns have been infested by hippies and their gentrification
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 02:59:12 PM »
Flat / crummy topography depends on where you live.  Panhandle?  Oh, yeah.  But, there are the E Texas piney woods, the hill country in central Texas, mountains in W & S Texas, desert in W Texas.

Ok, none of those places matter because I'm not looking at jobs there. To me, TX means my little North Texas Plano/Richardson bubble.

Honestly there are plenty of 'liburalz' here in my TX bubble too. Lots of refugees (including YT) from other states. Most people don't even have any accent.

N.C. is an easy day's drive from family; Texas is a hard 2-day's drive.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 03:47:24 PM »

And the winnah!  Texas, by three lengths and still pulling away.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 04:31:08 PM »
As my Pastor likes to say regarding in-laws-

Move far enough away they wont come often and close enough that when they do come, they don't have to stay the night.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2013, 04:59:19 PM »
Why not eastern Tennessee?

"I'm looking at some jobs in the Raleigh area. Anyone live in N.C. and want to give me their list?"

Disregard my question!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2013, 05:03:28 PM »
Why not eastern Tennessee?

"I'm looking at some jobs in the Raleigh area. Anyone live in N.C. and want to give me their list?"

Disregard my question!

But Southern Virginia is a possibility. Depending on where in Raleigh, you could be less than an hour from Virginia.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2013, 07:55:23 PM »
Georgia is the greatest state in the Union.

End of discussion.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2013, 08:23:13 PM »

I fail to see the downside ???
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2013, 10:23:35 PM »
I used to live in that part of Texas. I know "Texas" pretty well.  The only part of Texas that I didn't spend any amount of time was the Panhandle.   My hobbies are such that I always was headed to Eastern OK or Northern Arkansas every chance I got.  When I got the opportunity to move, I did. Hunting leases really bugged me.  But they are becoming more common outside of Texas now.  It is all about money.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2013, 10:55:06 PM »
I fail to see the downside ???

Why does Texas not slide into the Gulf of Mexico?  Because Oklahoma sucks!  Ha!   =D

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2013, 09:02:24 AM »
http://www.city-data.com/

NC is its own contradiction.
Raleigh-Durham has a few enclaves of rational thought.  Liberal dominance of the culture is stifling.
4 major universities in a tight area.
UNC Chapel Hill is as liberal it gets.
Duke University Medical center and Bowman Grey Medical Center are two seriously world class institutions.
Cary "Community of Relocated Yankees" is not a joke. 
Only long range rifle firing site is in Butner along with a federal prison
Government is a gaggle of southron good'ol boys with extreme liberal slant.
CCH laws are about what you expect.
Open carry is theoretically legal but I've never heard anyone recommend trying it.
Firearm purchase permits are nothing but advance NICS check.  You can get up to three permits at one time with no expiration date.
Main street Asheville has the only known genuine 60's head shop complete with bong case and Peter Max posters.
Coast of NC is incredible place to explore.
Western NC is beautiful especially during leaf season.
Taxes are higher than surrounding states.
Southern VA is a short drive away.

"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2013, 10:39:53 AM »
What Waitone said.

I was born and lived part of my childhood in NC.  I went to college there (small conservative private school).  I still have family there and go back several times a year.  Unless I could live in the middle of 100+ acres in Western NC, I wouldn't move back.

I live in VA and consider VA my adopted home.  Gun culture is better here, state policritters tend to be more conservative, and only NoVA is truly liberal (but more purple than blue).

Chris

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2013, 01:32:38 PM »
http://www.city-data.com/
Open carry is theoretically legal but I've never heard anyone recommend trying it.

Jocasse, Boomhauer and I all opened carried in Brevard, NC when I was down there.  It was only the one waiter at Huddle House that took exception to our carrying, but the manager told him we were legal.     We even open carried right down the main (shopping) street in broad daylight.  No one said "Boo" or called the police.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2013, 01:36:41 PM »
Jocasse, Boomhauer and I all opened carried in Brevard, NC when I was down there.  It was only the one waiter at Huddle House that took exception to our carrying, but the manager told him we were legal.     We even open carried right down the main (shopping) street in broad daylight.  No one said "Boo" or called the police.

But if you OC in the wrong place in NC you will find yourself in the pokey right fast. They can easily slap you with a "Going armed to the terror of the public" charge which gives them a broad license with the right judge and popo combo. Brevard is a town of hippies run by hippie hating cops, so we were cool there. Elsewhere can be a very different story.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2013, 01:59:38 PM »
I looked at NC when we were trying to decide where in the south to move. The cost of living was high compared to Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia, Kentucky and Arkansas. There were other downsides to it as well.

It's a beautiful state, and I enjoy visiting everyplace except Cherokee Village. ;)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2013, 02:58:21 PM »
Never been to NC, but I have heard stories over the years of how capricious LEOs can be there, more so than most other places.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2013, 04:52:36 PM »
Never been to NC, but I have heard stories over the years of how capricious LEOs can be there, more so than most other places.

You obviously never been to Chicago or dealt with the Illinois State Police.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.