Author Topic: Little House on the Prairie is the gateway drug to Atlas Shrugged  (Read 5569 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Little House on the Prairie is the gateway drug to Atlas Shrugged
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2013, 11:13:17 AM »
Most people in the 19th century were more independent and self reliant than today.   That was the nature of life back then.

Family and church were the primary institutions of support rather than government.

As far as homesteading is concerned, there are many issues involved.  Much of the land available for homesteading wasn't really any good for farming, at least not with animal power on a mere 160 acres.  In the LH books, "pa" somewhere makes the comment that the land is better suited for grazing (I think Ladypine knows these books by heart  :lol: ).   People were already moving west for other reasons such as mining and ranching.  It could be argued that the Indians and cattle ranchers had a better claim on the land than did the USG just based on prior usage.

Homesteading is glorified, but really it was bad policy.  It tore the guts out of natural grasslands, which are much harder to regenerate than "old growth" forest.   =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Re: Little House on the Prairie is the gateway drug to Atlas Shrugged
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2013, 04:12:03 PM »
Family and church were the primary institutions of support rather than government.

As it should be...

I read the Little House books as a tween and while I enjoyed them greatly, I read this first and it was was my gateway drug to Atlas Shrugged.

I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.