Author Topic: Former Ariz. congressman plans run against McCain.  (Read 2261 times)

Desertdog

• friends
Former Ariz. congressman plans run against McCain.
« on: January 23, 2010, 10:21:24 PM »
Is this the only challenger for McCains seat?  I hope so, as 2 or more running against him would probabaly delute the voting so much McCain would win the primary.  We need for McCain to retire.

Former Ariz. congressman plans run against McCain.

Jan 23, 12:38 AM (ET)
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20100123/D9DD8MO80.html

PHOENIX (AP) - Former Arizona Congressman J.D. Hayworth says he's planning to run against John McCain for his U.S. Senate seat.

Hayworth told The Associated Press late Friday that he stepped down as host of his radio program on KFYI-AM, a conservative radio talk show in Phoenix. Legally, he wouldn't be able to host the program and be an active candidate.

Hayworth was ousted from his Congressional seat in 2007 after 12 years in office by Democrat Harry Mitchell, and has hosted the radio show for the past few years.

Hayworth says he's not formally announcing a run for the Senate seat, but that "we're moving forward to challenge John McCain."

He added that he's had a wonderful time at KFYI, but "it's time to enter public life again."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Former Ariz. congressman plans run against McCain.
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 01:08:30 PM »
There's two nobodies running against McCain, also:

Chris Simcox and Jim Deakin.

Deakin is a populist, and Simcox is a loon.  Each of them are 1-2% draws.  Both are seeking the Republican primary nomination, and I don't foresee them seeking 3rd party draws.

The Republican primary election will be between McCain and Hayworth.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 01:14:09 PM »
Legally, he wouldn't be able to host the program and be an active candidate.

Why on earth is that?

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 01:20:43 PM »
Why on earth is that?
my guess is something to do with exposure time. By being paid to be on the air it gives mroe exposure then a candidate that has to pay for similar.

Least thats my guess
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 03:13:59 PM »
my guess is something to do with exposure time. By being paid to be on the air it gives mroe exposure then a candidate that has to pay for similar.

Least thats my guess

I believe that is correct. IIRC, Fred Thompson had to wait till the "Law and Order" shows which included him had to complete their run before he could start campaigning for Pres.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 03:15:52 PM »
Is this the only challenger for McCains seat?  I hope so, as 2 or more running against him would probabaly delute the voting so much McCain would win the primary.  We need for McCain to retire.

That's what I'm sayin'.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 06:32:45 PM »
A political view of AZ from way back east is the state is republican territory.  Democrats can't mount a real challenge.  That leave it to republicans to fight it out.  McCain is the establishment candidate drawing money, and lots of it, from everywhere.  I read somewhere he already has $5 million is his campaign coffee can.  Enter JD Hayworth stage right no doubt with visions of a western Mass. dancing in his head.  Brown was able to attract insane amounts of money is short order once the word got out an insurgent was taking the fight to the "Man".  I submit AZ could well be a similar fight only in this case it is republican v republican or better put establishment v insurgent if JD positions himself that way.  I can easily see the Establishment Party circling wagons around McCain ( and by establishment I include republicans) while the insurgents draws fighters and resources from around the country, a la Brown. 

The question of the day is, "Who will get co-opted" in 2010.  *derogatory term deleted* are a potent forces as Brown demonstrated.  Establishment republicans can't allow that force to go uncontrolled.  So the question boils down to will republicans co-opt the insurgents (c.f. Dick Armey providing organizing smarts to Brown) or will the insurgents co-opt republicans and wrest control of the party from the cold dead hand of elitism.

Grab a bag of Cheetos and a Mountain Dew because Arizona will be a treat.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 07:37:28 PM »

The question of the day is, "Who will get co-opted" in 2010.  *derogatory term deleted* are a potent forces as Brown demonstrated.  Establishment republicans can't allow that force to go uncontrolled.  So the question boils down to will republicans co-opt the insurgents (c.f. Dick Armey providing organizing smarts to Brown) or will the insurgents co-opt republicans and wrest control of the party from the cold dead hand of elitism.

It's not the question of the day, it's the question of the past 4 decades or so.  There have always (well, "always" for the past 40 years) been two camps within the Republican party.  One camp is the elitist establishment country club types who are in politics because of the social stature it affords them.  The other camp is a loose coalition of conservatives of various flavors.

These two camps see-saw back and forth over who has more sway withing the Party as a whole.  In the 70's if was the elitists.  In the 80's it was the conservatives.  Up to '94 it was the elitists again, until Newt swung things back to the conservatives.  It was undecided through somewhere in the mid 200s, and McCain cemented it for the elitists back in '07.  Now it seems to be swinging back yet again to the conservatives.

Back and forth, back and forth, up through today.  Nothing new about this.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 10:53:18 PM »
One thing that Hayworth and other conservative challengers won't have is the timing of the Brown campaign. He was able to pull in contributions from all over the country, as people saw his election as a referendum on Obama. Come November, there will be tons of candidates looking for money from the same pool.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 12:40:47 AM »
A political view of AZ from way back east is the state is republican territory.  Democrats can't mount a real challenge.  That leave it to republicans to fight it out.  McCain is the establishment candidate drawing money, and lots of it, from everywhere.  I read somewhere he already has $5 million is his campaign coffee can.  Enter JD Hayworth stage right no doubt with visions of a western Mass. dancing in his head.  Brown was able to attract insane amounts of money is short order once the word got out an insurgent was taking the fight to the "Man".  I submit AZ could well be a similar fight only in this case it is republican v republican or better put establishment v insurgent if JD positions himself that way.  I can easily see the Establishment Party circling wagons around McCain ( and by establishment I include republicans) while the insurgents draws fighters and resources from around the country, a la Brown. 

JD is a "slick" character, though.

Very much the snake-oil salesman.

I'm VERY libertarian and anti-establishment oriented, and I have a hard time deciding to vote for him or for McCain.  JD is a neo-con, McCain is an aisle-crosser.  Both are statists (although of different colors), and JD is paying lip service to the Tea Party movement to get some traction and free inertia prior to leaving his radio show.

A true Tea Party candidate would endorse the dismantling of several programs and the immediate cessation of all bailout moneys as a first step, IMO.  The Tea Party is about money, then about government intrusion vis-a-vis the 10th amendment.  Neither McCain nor Hayworth care much about either of those issues.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!