Author Topic: People watching  (Read 1085 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
People watching
« on: September 19, 2014, 06:23:47 PM »
The other day I put in a job application as a driver for a local company. I'm sure they'll get hundreds if not thousands of applications.

Today I was sitting in the parking lot of a pharmacy, waiting for my Rx. I noticed a guy in an alley trying to toss trash into a huge dumpster. It was one of the really long ones, about 7 feet tall. There were some cardboard boxes and bits of wood and paper littering the ground.

He'd grab a handful of stuff, try to toss it over the wall of the dumpster, and most would fall back around his feet. He'd grab another handful, toss it, and it would do the same. He kept at this same routine for probably twenty minutes. His t-shirt was soaked in sweat

I'd noticed that the dumpster had doors at one end, and they were open. What I couldn't figure out is why the guy didn't take the trash on the ground, put it in one of the cardboard boxes, and toss the boxes into the dumpster at the doors.

It occurred to me that this guy, or someone like him, might be applying for the same job as I did. That gave me encouragement.

People watching fascinates me.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: People watching
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 06:27:43 PM »
Wait till you find out he got the job and you didn't

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 07:03:00 PM »
Wait till you find out he got the job and you didn't

That was my thought too.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 07:08:16 PM »
With my luck we'd both get hired and he'd be my boss.

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 07:43:24 PM »
Sometimes I wonder how some people manage to dress themselves in the morning  :facepalm:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 09:49:20 PM »
I'm writing this anonymously so nobody will know who posted it.

I, too, have struggled with doing something the hard way, then have somebody ask later, "Why didn't you just...?"

"Errrr...ahhhhh....ummm..."

:facepalm:

Humbling.  And sometimes I need humble.

Anonymousrry
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 10:01:00 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 10:04:45 PM »
Airports are great for people watching....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 10:08:14 PM »
Sometimes I wonder how some people manage to dress themselves in the morning  :facepalm:

So I shouldn't have this shoe strapped to my head with a belt?
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 10:19:07 PM »

They have their own Private Joker.

Airports are great for people watching....

Especially at the luggage carrosels and the automatic doors.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2014, 06:40:04 PM »
Our local Fair started this week. My civic club has a restaurant. Good place for people watching. Fairgoers provide an endless mix of personalities and attitudes.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2014, 10:19:29 PM »
Our local Fair started this week. My civic club has a restaurant. Good place for people watching. Fairgoers provide an endless mix of personalities and attitudes.

Brad

The People of Wal-Mart with funnel cake and animal poop on their shoes.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2014, 01:04:39 AM »
The People of Wal-Mart with funnel cake and animal poop on their shoes.

stay safe.

Egzactamundo!

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2014, 05:50:31 PM »
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2014, 06:34:16 PM »
Peeple watching

People watching is why my wife goes with me to gun shows.

People of WallyWorld

My current state, 12 days out from surgery and 5 days from getting my catheter out, leads me to contemplate becoming a smelly recluse.   Or, just going to Walmart and blending in.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2014, 12:51:39 AM »
People watching is why my wife goes with me to gun shows.

We take bets on which ones will be leaving in handcuffs and which ones will have a troop of tounge-dragging overall-wearing Cleti following in their wake.  Then there is just the amazement factor of seeing the family obviously just from church leaving with armsfull of EBRs and ammo.

My current state, 12 days out from surgery and 5 days from getting my catheter out, leads me to contemplate becoming a smelly recluse.   Or, just going to Walmart and blending in.

Ozium, my friend.  Bathe in it if necessary.

stay safe.