Author Topic: Health Care Pie-in-the-Sky meets Reality: Walgreens in WA won't accept Medicaid  (Read 10971 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Mak,

The Government pays, but no one is required to take it.  That's the point - it's still a private business making a decision about what it's going to accept, which is the point of this article.

Also, instead of summary articles, try to post an article with stats (like the one I posted) on your measures - I think you'll have a very hard time finding any hard data sets that show the US ahead in either infant mortality or general cancer survival.  For example, here's some data that says the opposite of what your articles claim:

http://www.commonwealthfund.org/Content/Performance-Snapshots/International-Comparisons/International-Comparison--Effectiveness.aspx

Umm... your stats come from an organization promoting government health care. I don't see the study, nor do I see the actual statistics. They posted numbers.

If you'd have clicked the link, you'd have noted it cited a CDC Report. Real statistics there and not from a partisan organization.

I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
As for cancer, here's an article from the British Oncology journal Lancet Oncology:

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:Xq1T-cWgobsJ:healthcare.procon.org/sourcefiles/CONCORDCancerSurvivalStudy.pdf+Cancer+survival+in+five+continents:+a+worldwide+population-based+study&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESjLjbFtuK_2tMNmBcE_nWKtgoHDWWyTIwD5kx6oeJXDXdPPNpulXz15kYppWZHbhIkpF7mALxZ--Ay881YkOLIIvwWP9yLokJrD0JepjDjOmO1den_bBdtW9ThK4yDNNwn3xPzQ&sig=AHIEtbQj67LmngevVM3s6YMlFTiakx0lKw

Statistics straight from the source. US is better than every other country in almost every category of cancer survival. (And those few exceptions, it's very close.)

Many it is SIGNIFICANTLY better, as in 20% better.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
De Selby:

I hate to pile on(0), what with mak furnishing Brit-sourced & US Gov't-sourced data to slap silly the notion that health-specific outcomes are improved under socialized medicine.

Let us look at that whole "longer life expectancy under socialized medicine" deal a bit more closely.  if you scroll up, you'll see the 2009 numbers from the CIA Factbook about life expectancy around the world.  I stopped when I got to the USA, but that excerpt ought to be good enough.

For 2009, the life expectancy for the USA is 78.11 years.  If we tool up the list, we get to the UK, which has had socialized medicine since they gave Churchill the boot in 1945 or so.  So after 65 years of socialized medicine(1), extortionate taxes, the crushing of medical innovation, the mean UK life expectancy is (drum roll, please) 79.01 years.  Let me do the math for you: that is 0.9 years difference in the UK's favor.

That is a 1.15% increase over the USA's life expectancy.  Sixty-five. Years.  Of socialized medicine. They got a 1.15% boost, less than a year.  Anyone wanna do a cost-benefit analysis on that?

Also, we need to clarify.  The "life expectancy" we have been writing about of is "mean life expectancy at birth."

But, again, what about all those pesky differences between countries: murder rates, auto accidents, etc? 
In The Business of Health, Robert Ohsfeldt and John Schneider factor out intentional and unintentional injuries from life-expectancy statistics and find that Americans who don’t die in car crashes or homicides outlive people in any other Western country.

Huh.

[Note, this guy is using 2004-2006 data sourced from US & UK gov'ts--jfruser]
It's true that life expectancy is higher at birth in the U.K., by 1.7 years for males and .90 years for females, but life expectancy at older ages is greater in the U.S. than in the U.K. For men, life expectancy is greater at birth and up until age 60 in the U.K., but then the pattern reverses and men can expect to live longer in the U.S. at ages 65, 70, 75, 80 and 85. By age 75, male life expectancy is greater than in the U.K. by at least six months. Likewise, U.K. women have higher life expectancy at birth and up until age 55; at ages 60 and above, American women have greater life expectancy than their U.K. counterparts, and by age 75 women live longer in the U.S. than in the U.K. by 8-9 months.

Since quality health care (surgery, treatment, critical care, advanced testing, expensive prescription drugs) is most important during the last years of our lives, couldn't we say that the U.S. has a first-rate health care system, especially at the time when quality care is most important, and it extends the lives of older people in U.S. by at least 1/2 year?

Here's a link to a large image of his spreadsheet:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_otfwl2zc6Qc/SoB75JJD1dI/AAAAAAAAK2Y/56495T9JqJA/s1600-h/UKUSLife.bmp

De Selby, you may want and believe socialized medicine to be a wonderful thing better than a free market approach or what we have had in the USA (2).  The problem is, in the realm of reason & fact this is disprovable...and has been shown as bunk.  In the end, your belief is faith-based.  And you would impose your faith on all of us with the gov't's claimed monopoly on legitimate violence.

(0)  Oh, who am I kidding?  I love piling on statist propaganda with hard data and blowing it out of the water.

(1)  Assuming the difference is 100% due to socialized medicine

(2) Not free market, what with gov't spending $0.40  of every health care dollar and distorting the market with that & other regulation.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
That point about elderly people in the US living longer is interesting. I wonder if it has anything to do with the additional stress that US workers (probably) have over their UK counterparts, such that some US citizens die a bit earlier from heart attacks, etc, but those who don't live longer.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
i just had to add, if a patient can't afford to pay cash the doctor should be allowed to negotiate with them and take whatever they can pay the doctor wants.

I built a pole fence for our doctor when our twins were born  =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
i take eggs and power washed mines house.  built a deck for the one who delivered kid 2  and he owed mr after that
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I