Author Topic: Donald Jr. in Big Trouble  (Read 6884 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Donald Jr. in Big Trouble
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2017, 02:54:45 PM »
I do have to say one thing. This is certainly the strongest evidence for collusion they've been able to uncover.

That says a lot more about the other "evidence" than this episode, though.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

HankB

• friend
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2017, 04:39:49 PM »
Hmmm . . .

If Donald Jr. testifies, he can say - on the record - that he thought maybe the Russian lawyer had evidence of a quid-pro-quo with the Clintons, with huge speaking fees for Bill and big donations to the Clinton foundation constituting bribes for the Clinton State Department's approval of the uranium deal . . . after all, with James Comey's FBI and the Holder/Lynch AG's office thoroughly subverted by the Obama/Clinton cabal, it's obvious NOTHING was going to happen through regular channels . . .  >:D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2017, 04:55:34 PM »
No reasonable prosecutor would indict, of course. No intent, amirite?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2017, 06:05:16 AM »
Hmmm . . .

If Donald Jr. testifies, he can say - on the record - that he thought maybe the Russian lawyer had evidence of a quid-pro-quo with the Clintons, with huge speaking fees for Bill and big donations to the Clinton foundation constituting bribes for the Clinton State Department's approval of the uranium deal . . . after all, with James Comey's FBI and the Holder/Lynch AG's office thoroughly subverted by the Obama/Clinton cabal, it's obvious NOTHING was going to happen through regular channels . . .  >:D

:D Like.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2017, 09:06:05 AM »
And it is now coming out that the woman was initially denied a visa, but was admitted to the U.S. by special permission granted by Loretta Lynch, for the specific purpose of assisting a Russian citizen who was being tried for something. Apparently she shouldn't even have been in the country at the time she met with The Donald II.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/341788-exclusive-doj-let-russian-lawyer-into-us-before-she-met-with-trump

So, just another example of the Obama administration doing an end run around the laws at every opportunity. In other words, business as usual for the Obama team.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2017, 09:07:30 AM »
It may be happening sooner than I thought:

http://nypost.com/2017/07/11/death-panels-to-break-pink-slip-news-to-dozens-of-ny-times-copy-editors/

That article sounds like it was more financially-motivated than motivated by any truth-based principles.  We all know that circulation of the printed media is declining precipitously.

One little amusey, from the viewpoint of this old proofreader, was the sign carried by one of the protesters bearing proofmarks.

TErry

« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 10:56:52 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2017, 09:53:36 AM »
Ok- so is it illegal to try and get dirt on a political opponent from an employee of a foreign government?   ??? 

I can't see why it would be.  First Amendment and all that.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2017, 10:04:28 AM »
Ok- so is it illegal to try and get dirt on a political opponent from an employee of a foreign government?   ??? 

Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2017, 10:55:25 AM »

One of the talking heads on Fox last night said that there is NO "collusion" crime on the books for politics, only for insider trading.

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2017, 11:45:40 AM »
The Left and the MSM still doesn't get it.

That 51% of the American voting public, give or take, HATES THEM. And regardless of whether or not they like Trump, he's going to be the easy default choice to give all of them the finger again in 2020. And like what happened in Wisconsin in 2010 with the huge backlash over busting the state .gov and teachers unions, the protests, the hippy drum-circles in the Capitol rotunda where they'd sneak off and crap in the corners... Walker won his recall election with more votes than his actual election, and won it by a larger margin. The WI Democrats and unionistas completely misread the situation and wound up cutting their own throats in the process and flipped the state red.

All the "Resistance" is accomplishing is the same thing nationally.

They could/should just go after Trump and the GOP on policy and economics 24/7, it would at minimum work better, actually slow/oppose Trump's policy role causing more moderates/RINO's in Congress to defect and go wishy-washy on various bills... however, they're kind of stuck on that basis too.

What exactly is the Left/MSM/DNC going to champion in this theoretical new policy attack?

- Raising taxes and killing economic recovery/jobs?
- Bitching about income inequality, which would mean raising taxes and killing economic recovery and jobs?
- Fighting for keeping Obama-era environmental regs, raising taxes and killing economic recovery and jobs?
- Fighting to keep Obamacare which raises taxes, has killed economic recovery for 6 years and threatens jobs?
- Fighting for a $15 minimum wage and threatening jobs?
- Fighting for transsexuals and cross-dressers to use the girl's bathroom and locker room?

So the handful of thoughtful Democrats, like the CA Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom who apparently has more than two neurons firing up there and is harping on how "Russiagate is a loser issue" for them, and that they should focus on policy debates... they still have a problem, because well... they are so screwed.

:rofl:
I promise not to duck.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2017, 11:55:19 AM »
One of the talking heads on Fox last night said that there is NO "collusion" crime on the books for politics, only for insider trading.

It is in two other places in the US Code:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/953

Any citizen of the United States, wherever he may be, who, without authority of the United States, directly or indirectly commences or carries on any correspondence or intercourse with any foreign government or any officer or agent thereof, with intent to influence the measures or conduct of any foreign government or of any officer or agent thereof, in relation to any disputes or controversies with the United States, or to defeat the measures of the United States, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.

This section shall not abridge the right of a citizen to apply, himself or his agent, to any foreign government or the agents thereof for redress of any injury which he may have sustained from such government or any of its agents or subjects.

I don't think they met to discuss the election(s) in Russia...

And,

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/201 

(a) For the purpose of this section—
(1) the term “public official” means Member of Congress, Delegate, or Resident Commissioner, either before or after such official has qualified, or an officer or employee or person acting for or on behalf of the United States, or any department, agency or branch of Government thereof, including the District of Columbia, in any official function, under or by authority of any such department, agency, or branch of Government, or a juror;
(2) the term “person who has been selected to be a public official” means any person who has been nominated or appointed to be a public official, or has been officially informed that such person will be so nominated or appointed; and
(3) the term “official act” means any decision or action on any question, matter, cause, suit, proceeding or controversy, which may at any time be pending, or which may by law be brought before any public official, in such official’s official capacity, or in such official’s place of trust or profit.
(b) Whoever—
(1) directly or indirectly, corruptly gives, offers or promises anything of value to any public official or person who has been selected to be a public official, or offers or promises any public official or any person who has been selected to be a public official to give anything of value to any other person or entity, with intent—
(A) to influence any official act; or
(B) to influence such public official or person who has been selected to be a public official to commit or aid in committing, or collude in, or allow, any fraud, or make opportunity for the commission of any fraud, on the United States; or
(C) to induce such public official or such person who has been selected to be a public official to do or omit to do any act in violation of the lawful duty of such official or person;
(2) being a public official or person selected to be a public official, directly or indirectly, corruptly demands, seeks, receives, accepts, or agrees to receive or accept anything of value personally or for any other person or entity, in return for:
(A) being influenced in the performance of any official act;
(B) being influenced to commit or aid in committing, or to collude in, or allow, any fraud, or make opportunity for the commission of any fraud, on the United States; or
(C) being induced to do or omit to do any act in violation of the official duty of such official or person

IANALNDIPOOTV but,

DJTJ was not a public official at the time of the meeting.  Nor, is it, last time I checked, was it illegal to meet with anyone from a foreign country.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2017, 02:48:27 PM »
http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/senate/341857-senate-panel-asking-trump-jr-to-testify-report

Jr. better get his story straight if he's going to testify under oath, otherwise he could be in actual legal trouble. Having already been caught in a couple lies, it might be best to stick the truth moving forward.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2017, 03:19:41 PM »
http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/senate/341857-senate-panel-asking-trump-jr-to-testify-report

Jr. better get his story straight if he's going to testify under oath, otherwise he could be in actual legal trouble. Having already been caught in a couple lies, it might be best to stick the truth moving forward.

Yes, otherwise he'll be in contempt of Congress, just like Eric Holder...

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2017, 05:26:35 PM »
If they subpoena him and he doesn't show up that would contempt of congress, right? I'm thinking perjury if he keeps changing his story.

This guy makes the claim that meeting proves there was no collusion.
Maybe he's just glossing over the Magnitsky Act stuff to focus on the (non) collusion or maybe there's sarcasm that isn't coming through, but if not this is a pretty poor understanding of the motivations of that Russian lawyer:
Veselnitskaya who seems to have a genuine concern for Russian orphans.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2017, 06:06:12 PM »
If they subpoena him and he doesn't show up that would contempt of congress, right? I'm thinking perjury if he keeps changing his story.
He can just do a Hillary Clinton, and say "I don't recall"  or invoke the 5th like Loretta Lynch.  (Think about that the AG of the US invoking the 5th).

Maybe he's just glossing over the Magnitsky Act stuff to focus on the (non) collusion or maybe there's sarcasm that isn't coming through, but if not this is a pretty poor understanding of the motivations of that Russian lawyer:

Were the Clinton's smuggling or selling Russian Orphans into sex slavery or was she just lobbying to change the law ??

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2017, 07:29:37 PM »

I suspect Congress would put the screws to a Republican found in contempt, unlike what was done to Holder.  They do like to eat their own.
Plus, there are a lot of them that despise Trump and his family.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2017, 09:56:13 PM »
But meanwhile, the Vietnam-era anti-hero McCain was out chasing dirt on Trump from Russia during the primary season. Why isn't HE being investigated for "collusion"?

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2017, 10:09:12 PM »
say "I don't recall"  or invoke the 5th 
Absolutely, that would be the smart option. So far he hasn't shown himself to be one to choose that.
Were the Clinton's smuggling or selling Russian Orphans into sex slavery or was she just lobbying to change the law ??
huh? I don't get the Clinton connection here, or what your talking about at all really.  ???

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2017, 10:57:19 PM »
huh? I don't get the Clinton connection here, or what your talking about at all really.  ???

Russian Lawyer claimed to have dirt on Clinton, goes into meeting and talks about the Magnitsky Act (which Russia responded to by banning the adoption of Russian Children by Americans), so would the "dirt" she would have would be that Russian orphans were being smuggled into the sex trade by the Clintons.  There are already lots of rumours swirling about Bill and Pedo island.

I guess I overreached.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2017, 10:59:26 PM »
Russian Lawyer claimed to have dirt on Clinton, goes into meeting and talks about the Magnitsky Act (which Russia responded to by banning the adoption of Russian Children by Americans), so would the "dirt" she would have would be that Russian orphans were being smuggled into the sex trade by the Clintons.  There are already lots of rumours swirling about Bill and Pedo island.

I guess I overreached.

I thought it was Podesta and Pizza Comet.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2017, 11:01:41 PM »
The way I understood the article that I posted was that the Russian thought the meeting was about orphans and Jr. thought it was about Hillary. Both parties having been lied to by Goldstone.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2017, 12:25:58 AM »

Oh, and they had a talking head who said that if the Russians had approached her, when she was working for the Clinton campaign, that she'd have totally gone to the FBI over it.

Right. And Santa Claus, the Great Pumpkin, and the Easter Bunny are real.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2017, 12:28:36 AM »
The way I understood the article that I posted was that the Russian thought the meeting was about orphans and Jr. thought it was about Hillary. Both parties having been lied to by Goldstone.

That's pretty much the way I read it, too.

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2017, 08:34:29 AM »

Goldstone certainly seems like a slimeball and I have no doubt he would lie but I just don't see his motivation for conning both parties into a meeting they're going to walk out of unhappy. I could definitely see Veselnitskaya lying about her connections and having info though. Her concern for Russian orphans is pretty laughable - it goes only as far as using them as leverage to get the Magnitsky Act repealed. If she really cared about them she wouldn't be lobbying our politicians she would be working in Russia.