Author Topic: The Catholic church now opposes the death penalty  (Read 5590 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: The Catholic church now opposes the death penalty
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2018, 08:46:38 AM »
Not being a Catholic I just looked into their reasoning for not supporting the death penalty. Pretty weak sauce indeed. A person doesn’t lose his human dignity even after committing a heinous crime? They’re nuts.

I'm not Catholic either, and I could be wrong, but I would guess they're talking about the person being made in the image of God, and having intrinsic worth. I don't disagree with that. I just don't think it contradicts execution, if they've committed murder, or a comparable offense.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2018, 08:55:29 AM »
I'm all for capital punishment in the right circumstances.  A few examples of such are the mass shooters that survived their spree. Florida, Ft. Hood, Aurora, there is no doubt about their guilt. Plant them.
As for prosecutorial misconduct, from the false accuser to the presiding judge anyone found guilty of attempting to wrongly convict a person of a crime gets the same sentence that could/would have been imposed on the wrongly accused, up to and including the death penalty.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2018, 09:28:13 AM »
If you don't trust the government but support the death penalty...here
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cognitive%20dissonance

I'm not opposed to the concept of capital punishment.  But the justice system has proven itself too fallible to be trusted with such power.
https://www.innocenceproject.org/cameron-todd-willingham-wrongfully-convicted-and-executed-in-texas/
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2018, 09:41:57 AM »
I would support the death penalty in some cases, but only if it was less expensive than lifetime incarceration.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2018, 10:41:30 AM »
I would support the death penalty in some cases, but only if it was less expensive than lifetime incarceration.

Based on what I have read over the years, the death penalty in the US is almost always significantly more expensive than life in prison, and this has led several states to abandon the death penalty.  The primary cost driver is legal costs (attorney fees, expenses of the court system) for the trial and appeals thereafter.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2018, 02:08:37 PM »
If you don't trust the government but support the death penalty...here

I'm not opposed to the concept of capital punishment.  But the justice system has proven itself too fallible to be trusted with such power.
https://www.innocenceproject.org/cameron-todd-willingham-wrongfully-convicted-and-executed-in-texas/

If you don't trust the government, but still think we should have government - here:

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2018, 03:40:59 PM »
If you don't trust the government, but still think we should have government - here:

I'm perfectly okay with the dissolution of government.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2018, 03:55:24 PM »
Decentralization, States rights and reigning in Federal judges would be a baby step.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2018, 04:03:03 PM »
Based on what I have read over the years, the death penalty in the US is almost always significantly more expensive than life in prison, and this has led several states to abandon the death penalty.  The primary cost driver is legal costs (attorney fees, expenses of the court system) for the trial and appeals thereafter.

That's only because the system allows and provides for a seemingly interminable series of appeals, appeals of appeals, and appeals of appeals of appeals, ad nauseam. If the possibility of imposing a death sentence is limited to cases in which guilt is conclusively proven (such as the case of the first Fort Hood shooter, or the Aurora theater shooter), then such an exhaustive array of appeals is unnecessary and should not be allowed. There has to be recourse to an appeals process, of course, but there's no reason why it can -- or should be allowed to -- continue for decades.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2018, 04:06:36 PM »
Decentralization, States rights and reigning in Federal judges would be a baby step.

Definition of reign

1 a : royal authority : sovereignty

under the reign of the Stuart kings

b : the dominion, sway, or influence of one resembling a monarch

the reign of the Puritan ministers

2 : the time during which someone (such as a sovereign) reigns

Definition of rein

1 : a strap fastened to a bit by which a rider or driver controls an animal —usually used in plural
2 a : a restraining influence : check

kept a tight rein on the proceedings

b : controlling or guiding power —usually used in plural

the reins of government

3 : opportunity for unhampered activity or use

gave full rein to her imagination

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2018, 04:20:48 PM »

Thank you.

I had a post where I was too lazy to determine if worse or worst was correct and everyone let it slide
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2018, 06:38:17 PM »
Pedants gotta pedant.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2018, 08:01:56 PM »
For both here and my "Thanks" PM to Hawkmoon regarding reign versus rein:

Our quote system does not include quotes in the post you are trying to quote, if that makes sense.  In other words, if you quote this post, the quoted quote will not contain any content.

For testing, I do not think this content will show up in a quote of this post.

Quoting Hawkmoon's post "Pedants gotta pedant":

Pedants gotta pedant.

"But don't quote me on that."

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2018, 08:42:17 PM »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2018, 09:43:11 PM »

Our quote system does not include quotes in the post you are trying to quote, if that makes sense.  In other words, if you quote this post, the quoted quote will not contain any content.

Quoting Hawkmoon's post "Pedants gotta pedant":

"But don't quote me on that."

Terry

I always have to go back and copy/paste the quote if I need to. I wonder if there is some way to have it automatically do this.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2018, 10:31:09 PM »

That's why computer systems allow you to click and drag to highlight, then press CTRL+C to copy, and CTRL+V to paste.

CTRL+C makes a modicum of sense ... 'C' for Copy. But 'V' for Paste? Paste doesn't begin with 'V," and I can't think of any synonym for "paste" or "insert" that starts with 'V.'

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2018, 01:50:39 AM »
I'm perfectly okay with the dissolution of government.

So you've said.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2018, 02:00:31 AM »
That's why computer systems allow you to click and drag to highlight, then press CTRL+C to copy, and CTRL+V to paste.

CTRL+C makes a modicum of sense ... 'C' for Copy. But 'V' for Paste? Paste doesn't begin with 'V," and I can't think of any synonym for "paste" or "insert" that starts with 'V.'

P is already for print. I'm betting it's because V is right next to C.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2018, 11:52:18 AM »
Double post.  See below.  :facepalm:

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2018, 11:55:52 AM »
freakzoid said,

"I always have to go back and copy/paste the quote if I need to. I wonder if there is some way to have it automatically do this."

There is, but I think "they" tried to fix the problem of nested quotes, where by the time two or three quotes appeared within a quote, the horizontal width of the first quote was, like, only 5 or 6 letters wide and was essentially unreadable.

Terry

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2018, 02:10:46 PM »
freakzoid said,

"I always have to go back and copy/paste the quote if I need to. I wonder if there is some way to have it automatically do this."

There is, but I think "they" tried to fix the problem of nested quotes, where by the time two or three quotes appeared within a quote, the horizontal width of the first quote was, like, only 5 or 6 letters wide and was essentially unreadable.

Terry

Yes. The quote function used to grab everything, if memory serves. That was changed, because people were quoting quotations of quotations of quotations of quotations of quotations of quotations of quotations of quotations of quotations of quotations of quotations of quotations.

I like the new way. People should quote what they're responding to, and not just quote the entire thread.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2018, 02:21:16 PM »

Think of it as an insertion mark.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2018, 04:50:03 PM »

Yes. The quote function used to grab everything, if memory serves. That was changed, because people were quoting quotations of quotations of quotations of quotations of quotations of quotations of quotations of quotations of quotations of quotations of quotations of quotations.

I like the new way. People should quote what they're responding to, and not just quote the entire thread.

Yes, people were "nesting" quotes to the point it got out hand.  This is why we can't have nice things.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2018, 05:43:52 PM »
Quote from: fistful on 07 August 2018, 12:10:46

Yes, people were "nesting" quotes to the point it got out hand.  This is why we can't have nice things.

So true.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2018, 06:17:23 PM »
Quote from: Amy Schumer on August 08 at 04:50:03 PM
Quote from: fistful on August 07, 2018, at 02:10:46 PM

So true.

Indeed.