Author Topic: Sportsman's Guide  (Read 3032 times)

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Sportsman's Guide
« on: May 27, 2012, 04:59:41 PM »
Anyone have the 411 on them? I (as usual, late to the party) just started checking them out and they have some pretty good deals on ammo and magazines. If you join the "Buyer's Club ($29.99 per yr) it's even cheaper and you get free shipping.

Are they trustworthy? How about returns? Do they take a long time to ship orders?

Thanks folks! [ar15]
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

White Horseradish

• friend
Re: Sportsman's Guide
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 05:06:04 PM »
They are pretty decent. However, for me they are local and I can just go browse the returns at their store or have them deliver the order to the counter.

I've had trouble with backordered stuff never showing up, but that might not necessarily be their fault. Other than that, I've been dealing wiht them pretty trouble-free.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 05:10:11 PM »
They are pretty decent. However, for me they are local and I can just go browse the returns at their store or have them deliver the order to the counter.

I've had trouble with backordered stuff never showing up, but that might not necessarily be their fault. Other than that, I've been dealing wiht them pretty trouble-free.

Oh man!!!! that's awesome!!!!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 05:10:27 PM »
I'm seldom completely happy with anything I buy (except ammo), but the prices are good.  They do ship fast, and they are OK with returns.  I mostly buy shoes there, which is kind of risky if the size is a bit off.

I paid $29 for a pair of Red Wing heavy duty dress shoes a few years ago and they look good, are comfortable, and will probably last forever.  Something comparable would probably be over $100 anywhere else.
"It's good, though..."

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 05:16:50 PM »
I'm seldom completely happy with anything I buy (except ammo), but the prices are good.  They do ship fast, and they are OK with returns.  I mostly buy shoes there, which is kind of risky if the size is a bit off.

I paid $29 for a pair of Red Wing heavy duty dress shoes a few years ago and they look good, are comfortable, and will probably last forever.  Something comparable would probably be over $100 anywhere else.

my show size seems to vary, right now the sneakers I have on say size 9, my boots say size 11-I figure I better try any shoes on first.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 05:18:47 PM »
Thanks for the info guys! They have the best prices on .223 I've found (cheaper than any of the locals) and add to that the fact they have .223 that isn't Wolf.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 05:56:06 PM »
I've been buying from them for at least ten years -- maybe closer to twenty. Every once in awhile they'll get me with some piece of Chinese trash but, for the most part, their stuff is decent. They ship promptly if the item is in stock, and I have never had a problem with returns.

And I'm pretty sure Gary Olen, the founder/owner, is a "gun guy." Almost all the holster ads seem to feature one of two 1911s, and I suspect those are his personal pistols.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Chester32141

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 06:05:08 PM »
I've been a buyers club member for about 5 years ... always been happy w/ their quality and prices.  Any returns have been trouble free ... Hated their credit card, but only because I tried to make it my primary card and they weren't up to the task.  It's pretty easy to save the cost of membership every year for an active sportsman  [ar15]
"The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter...... "

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2012, 07:03:13 PM »
Thanks for the info folks. Just signed up to the Buyers Club. The two $10 off coupons will darn near pay for the membership!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 09:37:22 AM »
Most the stuff is harbor-freight quality.  I've ordered odds and ends from there and haven't had many problems.  I've never ordered ammo from them.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2012, 01:40:14 PM »
I have several holsters from SGC, and IMHO they are well made and pretty much a bargain for the price. (I only buy the leather ones). Sadly, I recently wanted to buy another of one I've had for a number of years, and they no longer offer it.

I've bought a lot of ammo from them. Just watch the shipping -- ammo is heavy ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2012, 06:56:11 PM »
I'm a member, and I have been generally satisfied with their merchandise.  I order mostly military surplus, so there's a significant "as is" factor to the stuff.  Still, the only worthless item I ever got was an Austrian rucksack with a terrible design.  Not really the SG's fault.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2012, 09:31:44 PM »
I plan on using them mostly for ammo (free shipping with Buyer's Club) and other such brand name items so it should work out pretty well. They have the best prices I've found on .223 ammo and they have some nicely priced aftermarket Mini 14 mags which are highly rated (function like factory) for about half the price of factory mags offered elsewhere

Grebnaws

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2012, 01:14:20 AM »
Devonai, I think I am familiar with the rucksack you speak of. I own one and use it as my travel bag occasionally. It's a true WTF design. Relocating the straps hasn't helped at all.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2012, 10:45:16 AM »
Yeah, I hope it was never a standard issue item.  I can just imagine a young Schwarzenegger getting it and saying something classic.

I was surprised, because all the other Austrian surplus is typical, handy field gear.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Chester32141

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2012, 09:20:17 PM »

Let me suggest that before anyone places an order w/ SG that they request the latest coupon codes ... shipping for orders over $99 is often free ... great time to stock up on ammo  [ar15]
"The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter...... "

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2012, 01:54:51 PM »
I guess I was mistaken about the free shipping. It's free shipping only on the "Buyer's Club" order itself. =|
Still a good deal with $20 off and the discounts.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2012, 01:55:29 PM »
Let me suggest that before anyone places an order w/ SG that they request the latest coupon codes ... shipping for orders over $99 is often free ... great time to stock up on ammo  [ar15]

How do you get the latest codes?

Thanks Chester!

Nevermind, I think I figgerd it out. Type "coupon code" into the search box. Also, a $10 off coupon will pay most of the shipping on a box of 200 Rem. UMC .223.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 02:08:18 PM by Sergeant Bob »