Author Topic: Seal Team 6: The Raid on Osama Bin Laden  (Read 2114 times)

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Seal Team 6: The Raid on Osama Bin Laden
« on: November 09, 2012, 09:03:35 PM »
Playing on NatGeo right now and tomorrow at 1800 hrs. It stars Anson Mount (Cullen Bohannon on "Hell on Wheels), Freddy Rodriguez (Six Feet Under and Planet Terror) and William Fichtner (Blackhawk Down).

It's definitely worth a watch (I'm gonna watch it again) so set your DVR's! Oorah MFers!!!!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Lee

• friend
Re: Seal Team 6: The Raid on Osama Bin Laden
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 10:54:54 PM »
I liked it

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 11:39:53 PM »
Taped it last weekend and watched it earlier this week.  It was pretty decent.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 11:52:58 PM »
Started watching it this evening, but it seemed...too Hollywoodized, for lack of a better term.  Couldn't finish it.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 01:12:00 AM »
Started watching it this evening, but it seemed...too Hollywoodized, for lack of a better term.  Couldn't finish it.

Punch up the SWCC scene from Act of Valor. Excellent antidote to the typical hollywierdness. Keep this in mind during that scene: Live ammo!  =D

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 03:07:49 AM »
Is this the movie where Obama paralyzes Osama with one punch and then makes him fall on Obama's sword?.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 09:35:42 AM »
Punch up the SWCC scene from Act of Valor. Excellent antidote to the typical hollywierdness. Keep this in mind during that scene: Live ammo!  =D

I love that scene...that DVD chapter should be called "America, f yeah"

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 10:16:40 AM »
I love that scene...that DVD chapter should be called "America, f yeah"

My comment on it was "Hey, the brown-water boys just showed up.... and they brought a great big bag of *expletive deleted*ck you for everyone!"

Mk-44's and AN/M3 .50 cals (yes, not M2, M3 has a higher fire rate) warm the black depths of my soul.  =D

birdman

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 10:30:14 AM »
My comment on it was "Hey, the brown-water boys just showed up.... and they brought a great big bag of *expletive deleted* you for everyone!"

Mk-44's and AN/M3 .50 cals (yes, not M2, M3 has a higher fire rate) warm the black depths of my soul.  =D

I don't think there were or are mk44's on those boats.  M134, Mk46/48 sure...but A 30mm chain gun is a bit big for a jacuzzi boat.

The audio is just phenomenal...truck goes into water, bad guys show up, boat turns corner and...BWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA (making minigun noises, dog and SWMBO are looking at me funny)

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 10:50:47 AM »
I don't think there were or are mk44's on those boats.  M134, Mk46/48 sure...but A 30mm chain gun is a bit big for a jacuzzi boat.

The audio is just phenomenal...truck goes into water, bad guys show up, boat turns corner and...BWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA (making minigun noises, dog and SWMBO are looking at me funny)

What the deuce? When did they rename the Minigun? Back in '03-'04 learning what was in the Iwo's armory was part of the ESWS training, and they very explicitly stated that the two Navy miniguns they had in there were Mark 44's.

https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=9c7feaa183537193974190e1b8d6e03a&tab=core&_cview=0

birdman

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2012, 01:43:32 PM »
What the deuce? When did they rename the Minigun? Back in '03-'04 learning what was in the Iwo's armory was part of the ESWS training, and they very explicitly stated that the two Navy miniguns they had in there were Mark 44's.

https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=9c7feaa183537193974190e1b8d6e03a&tab=core&_cview=0

AN standard naming convention when they started putting it on everything, same reason why an M2 is an M2.  Navy specific things get there Mk designation, but there is a push to move away from it for joint service weapons.  Of course, that isn't always the case...the Mk46 and Mk48 are both torpedoes (though, the 46 now replaced by the mk50) and machine guns.  Basically, the navy is weird.

Given that, it's entirely possible a M134 is also a Mk44, in keeping with the "is it man portable or not" confusion of navy nomenclature weirdness between NAVSPECWAR and NAVSURWAR. 

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2012, 02:02:07 PM »
AN standard naming convention when they started putting it on everything, same reason why an M2 is an M2.  Navy specific things get there Mk designation, but there is a push to move away from it for joint service weapons.  Of course, that isn't always the case...the Mk46 and Mk48 are both torpedoes (though, the 46 now replaced by the mk50) and machine guns.  Basically, the navy is weird.

Given that, it's entirely possible a M134 is also a Mk44, in keeping with the "is it man portable or not" confusion of navy nomenclature weirdness between NAVSPECWAR and NAVSURWAR. 

Heh.

M1 Tank, M1 Helmet, M1 Submachinegun, M1 Rifle, M1 Carbine, M1 Bayonet, M1 Mine, M1 Armored Car, M1 Combat Car, M1 Mortar. Welcome to the Army/Navy nomenclature system. :P

Minigun = GAU-17, AN/M134, Mk44, Mk25, GAU-2.....  Were they giving away promotions for renaming stuff or something? 

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2012, 04:53:32 PM »
It's to fool our enemies. Like the History channel when it renames an old show and touts it as something new. Makes 'em think we got new stuff but we don't.;)
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2012, 06:41:41 PM »
Mmmmm....Mk48 ASROC, one of my favorites.

(mk114 FCT)

birdman

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2012, 07:09:42 PM »
Mmmmm....Mk48 ASROC, one of my favorites.

(mk114 FCT)

Mk48 is a 21" sub launched fish, the ASROC used the '46

birdman

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2012, 07:12:48 PM »
Correction to my previous, the mk46 has been replaced with the '54...you'd think I'd be able to get my own company's hardware correct :/

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2012, 07:15:37 PM »

I may of sprouted wood during that scene.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2012, 08:05:35 PM »
Mk48 is a 21" sub launched fish, the ASROC used the '46

Someone needs to tell the TMs then, they painted Mk48 on them....

birdman

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2012, 09:28:04 PM »
Someone needs to tell the TMs then, they painted Mk48 on them....

No clue dude, but the 48 is really honkin big, and only used on subs.

You sure it wasn't 84?  The harpoon (RGM-84) coud be fired from the same pepperpot launchers.

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2012, 10:27:34 PM »
It was 23 years ago, I guess it could have been a '46.  I only got to watch one load out and one launch.  I spent the rest of the time in one of 6 huge cabinets full of copper wires or working on some syncro/servo/or gyro components.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2012, 12:21:43 AM »
I may of sprouted wood during that scene.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2012, 04:37:57 AM »
Goddam Blue Angels talked me into joining the Navy with all that fancy flying stuff.  :laugh:

I was lucky, I got to be on a fire nozzle during a few ASROC loads and unloads. Watched one break the pawl on the loading crane, slide down and slam into the stop nice and hard. I thought for sure it was hitting the deck but it stopped. Lots of underwears needed changing after that one.  :O

Couldn't tell you what number was on them.
Avoid cliches like the plague!