Author Topic: Elmore Leonard Dead at Age 87  (Read 974 times)

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Elmore Leonard Dead at Age 87
« on: August 20, 2013, 10:25:15 AM »
Elmore Leonard, whose short stories are the basis for the show "Justified", has passed on.

RIP Elmore.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

AZRedhawk44

• friends
RIP, Elmore Leonard
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 10:26:40 AM »
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_OBIT_LEONARD?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-08-20-10-16-03

:'(

Guy had a very prolific storytelling mind.  I wish I had discovered him earlier.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

SADShooter

• friend
Re: Elmore Leonard Dead at Age 87
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 10:26:57 AM »
 =( Passed many hours reading or watching his work.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: RIP, Elmore Leonard
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 10:30:44 AM »
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_OBIT_LEONARD?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-08-20-10-16-03

:'(

Guy had a very prolific storytelling mind.  I wish I had discovered him earlier.

Derp da dupe.  Dupe topics merged.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 10:33:18 AM »
Great author.

He followed up with several more well-written, fast-paced crime novels, including "Swag" (1976). Leonard was already following the advice he would later give to young writers: "Try to leave out the parts that people skip."

I am re-reading his books electronically.  They stand the test of time, as do most that focus on the basics: writing, plot, character development, etc.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 10:37:29 AM »
That's too bad. Really well-rounded author and screenwriter, from "Get Shorty" to "Justified". I think he wrote some westerns as well. I need to check those out.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 11:53:03 AM »
That's too bad. Really well-rounded author and screenwriter, from "Get Shorty" to "Justified". I think he wrote some westerns as well. I need to check those out.

"Valdez Is Coming" is my favorite EL western.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 04:15:11 PM »
The mind that came up with all of the complex characters of Justified was a creative mind, indeed.  RIP.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 09:25:12 AM »

I was spoiled by Baen for a long time. $10 for an ebook? Sigh.

It's cheaper just to crawl used book stores than build up a healthy ebook collection.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 10:17:19 AM »

It's cheaper just to crawl used book stores than build up a healthy ebook collection.

Me, too.  Did not Apple & BN just take it in the shorts (in court) for collusion in this area?
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 10:35:45 AM »

I feel the same way, but then I remember I don't have to store the books.  These days, I tend only to buy dead tree books if they're used or something I plan to keep forever.  Most fiction doesn't fall into that plan. 

Chris

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 10:46:36 AM »
I feel the same way, but then I remember I don't have to store the books.  These days, I tend only to buy dead tree books if they're used or something I plan to keep forever.  Most fiction doesn't fall into that plan. 

Chris

Same here. I've been going through the Longmire series, and have been flabbergasted at the prices. However not having to deal with storing or getting rid of them afterwards somewhat alleviates that. Like Chris, I only by harcopies of books I want to keep forever. Also harcopies of things like manuals that have lots of pictures and diagrams, because I still find it much easier to access those kinds of texts as physical books.

I do think Ebooks shouldn't be more than five bucks or so. I don't blame the authors. I think a lot if it is similar to the music industry, where a big chunk of change is being wasted on "hardcopy" infrastructure and methods in a digital infrastructure age.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."