Author Topic: Tom Clancy Dead: Celebrated Thriller Author Dies At Age 66  (Read 3004 times)

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Re:
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2013, 04:23:01 PM »
Bestest book ever.

SWMBO snagged a couple of paperbacks that said Clancy, but he subbed out to other writers.

I even think that Eric Von Lustbader was one of them.

Clancy rocked!

I really liked his earlier books (which as you point out, were not subbed out) but didn't finish the first one he "co-authored".

As others have said, he will be missed. =(
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 12:57:22 AM by Sergeant Bob »
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: Tom Clancy Dead: Celebrated Thriller Author Dies At Age 66
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2013, 05:46:49 PM »
Ordered  ("Seven Days in May"). New was $90+ but I got a gently used copy on the way from a place out in Kali. I love Amazon, makes finding used books easy, used it a lot and saved a bunch of money on my textbooks back in college.

I own an original edition that belonged to my father from 1962.  It was a hardcover like Clancy's books.  The list price on the cover in 1962 was $5.00.   
$90.00....worth  it I suppose if you're a collector.  ;)
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2013, 07:19:36 PM »
I always felt that the movies detoured too far from the books.  Let us not speak of the Clear and Present Danger movie which was an abomination.

I never watched the movies...seldom does a movie match a book well...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2013, 10:10:23 PM »
I never watched the movies...seldom does a movie match a book well...

All too true, and something far too many Hollywood types fail to recognize.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

HankB

• friend
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2013, 10:56:52 PM »
I always felt that the movies detoured too far from the books.  Let us not speak of the Clear and Present Danger movie which was an abomination.
Since you bring up one abomination, I'll raise you one Clancy novel movie adaptation which was even more abominable: The Sum of All Fears.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2013, 11:11:09 PM »
That sucks. I had really enjoyed Rainbow Six and Red Storm Rising.

I liked the movies. [popcorn]
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2013, 11:20:13 PM »
Since you bring up one abomination, I'll raise you one Clancy novel movie adaptation which was even more abominable: The Sum of All Fears.

Okay, that was the one I meant.  That was the real abomination.  Clear and Present Danger basically shared a movie title and a general subject of drugs...  beyond that different story.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2013, 11:53:15 PM »
As a young Lieutenant in Germany in 1987 reading Red Storm Rising really drove some things home.  I've enjoyed his books, although the last one I read was The Dragon and the Bear.  At which point  I felt he was out of ideas and that he made things more technical as well as logistically and tactically impossible to cover for that shortfall.   

Hunt for Red October and Patriot Games were good movies.  The only ones that even remotely followed the plot of the books.

If you are going to read Harold Coyle's Team Yankee which is an excellent book and get the technical stuff pretty right (he did change some things simply because the M1 Abrams was very new, and some items on board and capabilities were classified at the time.  But he does mostly get the fire commands correct.
He was an Armor Major with the 1st Armored Division in Ansbach when he wrote Team Yankee.

Do read General Sir John Hackett's The Third World War first.  Coyle used his novel with it's broad overview to write a novel, using that scenario, about a small unit, the Company Team that's part of a Battalion Task Force, fighting WWIII. 

Again these came out in 1986-1987.  We were all walking around with a pretty high pucker factor after reading those books.

The Brotherhood of War series by WEB Griffin is fun read.  Not sure how accurate the technical stuff is and most of the military stuff (battles, names, places, events) are mostly made up, some real events are altered, like the Song Tay raid (but not the part about some Captain, putting all the parts together and then going in and asking his boss when the raid was planned.)    Apparently he's played fast and loose with how close and/or good his military connects are.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.