Author Topic: European Space Agency's Philae probe  (Read 3738 times)

Sergeant Bob

• friend
European Space Agency's Philae probe
« on: November 13, 2014, 11:08:09 PM »
I am seriously geeking out over this milestone in space exploration. This probe ( flew a total of (IIRC) 1.4 BILLION miles, (slingshotting around several planets) to maneuver and gain velocity, to rendezvous with the comet Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko. The logistics of this feat is just amazing! The comet (which was IIRC, 800 million miles from earth) was intercepted after a 1.4 billion mile flight to intercept.

I think this is on par with the moon landings! I can't wait for the results found by the probe!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: European Space Agency's Philae probe
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 02:22:32 AM »
It will remain to be seen how much of even the small change in it's orbit imparted by the impact of the lander affects it or it over the long haul.
Hubris I tell you! They're  gonna knock the damn thing into a new orbit and smack the earth with the bloody thing.

Actually I'd rate it just one or two super geek point just below the last Mars rover landing..
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 06:18:43 AM »
I don't know if my kids even know it happened

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 02:30:22 PM »
And one of the most complex science missions ever is about to fail because the solar panels can't re-charge the batteries? Nothing like not building it with an RTG onboard. If they lose the probe over a battery they ought to shove a greenie into a volcano or something as a sacrifice.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 02:51:20 PM »
I'm sorry, but this event is CLEARLY overshadowed by the proof that science is sexist:

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/comet-scientist-offers-tearful-apology-after-the-internet-is-offended-by-his-shirt/article/2556184?custom_click=rss&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Who cares about human accomplishments if a guy who did (part of) it has a (to some) character flaw!
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 02:51:57 PM »
If they lose the probe over a battery they ought to shove a greenie into a volcano or something as a sacrifice.

I'd be interested to hear if "going green" was the reason. I was only casually familiar with the concept of RTGs until I read up on them after your post. "OMG nuclear!" would simply be sad.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 02:53:30 PM »
I'm sorry, but this event is CLEARLY overshadowed by the proof that science is sexist:

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/comet-scientist-offers-tearful-apology-after-the-internet-is-offended-by-his-shirt/article/2556184?custom_click=rss&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Who cares about human accomplishments if a guy who did (part of) it has a (to some) character flaw!

Yeah, that was ridiculous. I'm not sure if I'm more irritated at the feminazis, or the dude breaking down into tears during his apology.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 03:03:28 PM »

I.
Want.
That.
Shirt!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2014, 06:04:01 PM »
Based on the news hype, I thought it had landed some Kardashian's butt....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2014, 08:59:31 PM »
Based on the news hype, I thought it had landed some Kardashian's butt....

Yeah, but who hasn't?

I mean, who that is black hasn't?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2014, 04:42:10 AM »
He made a mistake by apologizing. Never admit to any kind of wrongdoing in front of SJWs. Ever.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2014, 10:44:40 AM »
He made a mistake by apologizing. Never admit to any kind of wrongdoing in front of SJWs. Ever.

"SJW"?

Whut dat?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2014, 10:54:46 AM »
"SJW"?

Whut dat?

Social Justice Warrior

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2014, 11:14:33 AM »
I.
Want.
That.
Shirt!

So do many other people from the looks of things. It was made for him by a friend. Maybe she will sell the pattern to a shirt company, it would make a great Hawaiian shirt.

bob

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2014, 01:07:22 PM »
Wait a minute.  It was a "she" who designed the shirt in the first place?

Ummmm.....
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2014, 01:20:57 PM »
Wait a minute.  It was a "she" who designed the shirt in the first place?

Ummmm.....

It's cool, it was her repression by the patriarchy that caused her to act out.
AKA Navy Joe   

BobR

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2014, 01:30:53 PM »
I hope all of the publicity doesn't make her want to escape to the convent for a few years!!!  =D

https://www.facebook.com/ellyprizeman?fref=ts

Nah, I don't see that happening. Supposedly a lot of "actors" and others have been tweeting her about the shirt and how to get one. I hope her 15 minutes of fame is good to her.

It is also very sad that when humanity has just landed a probe onto a comet hurtling through space people want to focus instead on a shirt one of the engineers was wearing. WTF is wrong with people?

bob
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 01:35:46 PM by BobR »

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2014, 03:07:56 PM »
BobR spake thusly:

It is also very sad that when humanity has just landed a probe onto a comet hurtling through space people want to focus instead on a shirt one of the engineers was wearing. WTF is wrong with people?

BobR spake truly.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2014, 04:15:22 PM »

But the Philae lander ended up in the wrong place, and as of Saturday morning it was basically dead. This is obviously "cosmic" retribution for the wayward engineer's misogynistic choice of wardrobe

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2014, 05:42:06 PM »
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2014, 10:11:32 PM »

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2014, 01:09:17 PM »
And the probe shut down. I've seen on press release from the 90's where ESA stated that RTG tech was not available to them. Which is horsecrap, the will to have the tech is the problem. You've got member states of the EU with nuke subs and nuke weapons you've got the much simpler tech for an RTG. I've seen some discussion that an RTG was too heavy. Yes, a big one. Smaller ones have been made that were 1-2 kg heavier than the battery system on the probe. So far I've come across no technical reason that the probe could not have been designed around RTG power from the start. Really sad.
AKA Navy Joe   

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2014, 02:11:00 PM »
^ "So far I've come across no technical reason that the probe could not have been designed around RTG power from the start."

If I recall, the Chernobyl and Challenger disasters were still fairly fresh in the public's mind and "Nuke=Bad" was still the mindset.   What if this here now nooculier stuff blew up on the launch pad or in the atmosphere and contaminated all of Gaia with that there polonutonium 295 stuff, hey?  What about that?

May have been a factor in the decision, given the tenor of the times.

I was really disappointed that this turned out the way it did, but we've had failures before.  I am amazed that we could plunk something down on a comet (like the Deep Impact project) in the first place.  

All I can say is what my Pop used to say when something went cattywumpus:  "Well, you can't lose 'em all."

Terry
REF:
http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/space/07/04/deep.impact/index.html?_s=pm:tech
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 02:24:41 PM by 230RN »

BobR

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2014, 02:44:06 PM »
IIRC the Cassini probe is carrying 3 RTGs and it has been working just fine going into year ten of its four year mission. Also, I remember a whole lot of hand wringing and woe is humanity from the greenies when Cassini was going to be launched. Of course, it may have been because of the weight of the plutonium it was carrying, which was substantial.

bob

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.