Author Topic: European Space Agency's Philae probe  (Read 3738 times)

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Re: European Space Agency's Philae probe
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2014, 04:33:53 PM »
IIRC the Cassini probe is carrying 3 RTGs and it has been working just fine going into year ten of its four year mission. Also, I remember a whole lot of hand wringing and woe is humanity from the greenies when Cassini was going to be launched. Of course, it may have been because of the weight of the plutonium it was carrying, which was substantial.

bob

The way I understand it the stuff is sub-compartmented and encased in such a manner that a fire would be unlikely to release much. Fascinating subject to me. Since I started reading i am left to wonder on what will become the space race's big radiological problem eventually. All the soviet RORSATs carried a nuke reactor onboard and when the satellite was done they were ejected into a storage orbit. A few hundred years from now those things will start re-entering as their orbits decay. Genius. 
Nuke power seems to make perfect sense for space as long as you don't poop where you eat.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2014, 05:01:36 PM »
It is also very sad that when humanity has just landed a probe onto a comet hurtling through space people want to focus instead on a shirt one of the engineers was wearing. WTF is wrong with people?

It is also very sad that when humanity has just landed a probe onto a comet hurtling through space, a grown man with a job wears a shirt like that on TV. What, indeed, is wrong with people?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2014, 06:39:03 PM »
Close enough?

http://www.alohaland.com/pinup-girls-guys/red-galactic-gals

You are my  new hero!!!

I have a job, I am a grown man, and I would go on TV wearing one of these shirts, especially if it was made by a personal friend. I don't think I would apologize for it though. ;)

bob

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2014, 07:06:49 PM »
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2014, 07:11:26 PM »
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2014, 08:21:27 PM »
http://ellyprizemanupdate.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/decisions-and-comments.html?m=1

You could ask the actual maker, but I hear she's getting a hell of a lot of requests.  =D
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2014, 08:58:51 PM »
Yeah, that was ridiculous. I'm not sure if I'm more irritated at the feminazis, or the dude breaking down into tears during his apology.

I give him a pass over that.  Dude just had the *greatest* moment of his career and that gets completely ignored by hateful harpies & SJWs who then proceed to try to make him over into the image of Hitler or something.

"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2014, 03:21:13 PM »
Probably just wore it in that morning and suddenly there are lights and cameras all over the place.  

What bothers me is that here I am, also adding to the comment-glut on the darned shirt, while still admiring the effort that went into the project.  You learn from stuff like that.

Next time around, now that we know that the harpoons don't necessarily work on a body like that, we'll figure something else out. Sorta like getting a flyer when shooting for record.  The probe probably hit a weird unexpected surface bump or something and threw it off.  Remember how the first manned moon lander had to drift around for a while to find a smooth spot to set down?  I still remember the dust being blown around on the moon's surface as it maneuvered.

Good practice anyhow if we ever have to attempt to destroy or deflect a threatening space body.

Terry

« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 03:29:58 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.