Author Topic: Romney under fire for comments about London Olympics  (Read 4926 times)

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
Romney under fire for comments about London Olympics
« on: July 26, 2012, 06:03:20 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/romney-under-fire-comments-london-olympics-160305180.html

"You know, it's hard to know just how well it will turn out," Romney told NBC. "There are a few things that were disconcerting. The stories about the private security firm not having enough people, the supposed strike of the immigration and customs officials … that obviously is not something which is encouraging."

Open mouth, insert foot - welcome to the world of international politics, Mitt!  =D
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Romney under fire for comments about London Olympics
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 07:49:32 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/romney-under-fire-comments-london-olympics-160305180.html

Open mouth, insert foot - welcome to the world of international politics, Mitt!  =D

I'm not seeing the gaff.

Bigger picture, smaller words, please.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 09:44:37 PM »
Just an example of the press doing their best to invent gaffs by Romney to publicize rather than discuss Obama's idiocy or their own rigged poll numbers. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 10:17:58 PM »
I'm not seeing the gaff.

Bigger picture, smaller words, please.

Yeah, definitely not obvious from the quoted text. Where is the context?

Edit: After RTFA, the context makes it even less of a gaffe. Ok, so he didn't think security was as great as it could have been. So *expletive deleted*ing what?
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 12:21:12 AM »
I heard the audio of the comments....if anything, it sounds like he's sticking up for the Brits.

Then again, the MSM reported that Obama wasn't against business, either....

Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 09:04:39 AM »
What I heard was comments about the news stories we've all heard about the problems they had.
Anybody gets there knickers in a twist over that can bloody well buggar off.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 11:49:52 AM »
Didn't he go because he is the guy who got the games to work?  It's on his resume, in bold type.  That was an "accident" waiting to happen.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 12:50:10 PM »
So, we have a guy who has done this job, commenting on some of the minutia of the gargantuan task of running a games, seemed rather professional to me. Now you throw in some easily wounded Brits who never quite got over the revolt, add in a nice insult like only a Brit can, mash with 24 news cycle, poof! crisis!

Now then, the Obama attack team. You mean you guys that gave the Queen DVDs or sent Winston Churchill's bust home from the White House? Let the Dalai Lama in the back door? Bowed to damn near everyone on your worldwide tour of apology? Yeah, let's break out the foreign relations attacks on Romney, ought to be stunning. 
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 12:57:59 PM »
I agree with French.

Tempest in a teapot story manufactured and disseminated by liberal media, on both sides of the pond.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 01:00:44 PM »
I agree with French.

Tempest in a teapot story manufactured and disseminated by liberal media on both sides of the pond.

They have to keep doing it though. They are thoroughly invested in Barack Obama and have no comprehension of "sunk costs."
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2012, 01:38:16 PM »
They have to keep doing it though. They are thoroughly invested in Barack Obama and have no comprehension of "sunk costs."

WHich is why they are the chattering classes, not the productive classes.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

agricola

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 02:31:52 PM »
Tempest in a teapot story manufactured and disseminated by liberal media, on both sides of the pond.

It was a bit more than just the liberal media having a go at him over here - Romney got slated by nearly everyone from across the political and journalistic spectrum both for this and a couple of other, more genuine, gaffes (such as apparently forgetting the leader of the oppositions name and calling him "Mr Leader").   

It is also worth asking what on earth his team are doing as well, because its not as if he should have had anything like difficulty over here - all he had to do was just have turn up, mouth a few pleasantries about how much he was looking forwards to the Games, make a few points about how the Coalition government was on the right track in trying to rein in spending etc and then bimble off to Poland. 
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2012, 02:51:12 PM »
Because he has idjiots on his team.  I did hear the "Mr. Leader" gaffe, which is truly a gaffe.  For goodness sakes have a note card with the person's name on it and memorize it before stepping in to the cameras.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2012, 04:00:23 PM »
It was a bit more than just the liberal media having a go at him over here - Romney got slated by nearly everyone from across the political and journalistic spectrum both for this and a couple of other, more genuine, gaffes (such as apparently forgetting the leader of the oppositions name and calling him "Mr Leader").   

It is also worth asking what on earth his team are doing as well, because its not as if he should have had anything like difficulty over here - all he had to do was just have turn up, mouth a few pleasantries about how much he was looking forwards to the Games, make a few points about how the Coalition government was on the right track in trying to rein in spending etc and then bimble off to Poland. 

agricola, I realize it's likely down to the special circumstance of being subject to HM, but I would like to thank you for your proper use of the word "rein". Misapplication of t'other term is a major peeve for me.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2012, 04:05:29 PM »
Better yet, wave to the cameras and go about your business.  Makes no difference why Romney is making a foreign sweep, media will create a reason of its own.  UberBrit Piers Morgan thinks Romney's view is perhaps justified.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/piers-morgan-defends-mitt-romneys-olympics-comments-he-was-just-speaking-the-truth/
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

agricola

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2012, 04:11:42 PM »
Better yet, wave to the cameras and go about your business.  Makes no difference why Romney is making a foreign sweep, media will create a reason of its own.  UberBrit Piers Morgan thinks Romney's view is perhaps justified.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/piers-morgan-defends-mitt-romneys-olympics-comments-he-was-just-speaking-the-truth/

Having Piers Morgan being - seemingly - the only person from these islands to come out and back Romney is an indication of perhaps how bad the situation has become.  As a case in point, did anyone see his (Morgans') laughable "interview" with John Lott last week? 
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2012, 05:45:01 PM »
Because he has idjiots on his team.  I did hear the "Mr. Leader" gaffe, which is truly a gaffe.  For goodness sakes have a note card with the person's name on it and memorize it before stepping in to the cameras.

Maybe he can't pronounce "Illustrious Potentate" with his Massachusetts accent.....

Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2012, 09:43:07 AM »
such as apparently forgetting the leader of the oppositions name and calling him "Mr Leader"

Aww, cut the man a break. He's just prepping his November concession speech; from the election onward we will refer to the president as Dear Leader.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2012, 11:48:27 AM »
What would happen if all the candidates were to simply stop talking. Maybe mainstream media would simply implode and vanish in a puff of hot air. Then life could go on as usual.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2012, 03:58:38 PM »
What would happen if all the candidates were to simply stop talking. Maybe mainstream media would simply implode and vanish in a puff of hot air. Then life could go on as usual.

Regrettably, not an option. Pundits and talking heads would simply speculate about what isn't being said. E.g.: "Obama mum on declining economic outlook", "Romney silent as questions persist", etc.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2012, 11:31:11 AM »
As per usual most of the reports on this supposed Gaffe don't even give the whole quote or context.

"The stories about the private security firm not having enough people, the supposed strike of the immigration and customs officials, that obviously is not something which is encouraging," was the part I easily find. Both of those listed items were true. There was a problem with the security firm and there was a possibility of a strike. These were widely reported.

Now this:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/olympics/olympic-organizers-call-in-soldiers-students-to-help-fill-empty-seats/article4447478/?cmpid=rss1

They had to come up with a plan to fill seats? Romney may not have been so wrong.

As per usual, this wasn't so much of a Gaffe and more the media trying to find anything and everything they can possibly make hay out of when it comes to Romney. Personally I'm not a fan of the guy, but compared to the current POTUS; I think he will be an improvement.