Author Topic: Scalia: Guns May be Regulated  (Read 14641 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Scalia: Guns May be Regulated
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2012, 01:00:41 PM »
Tommygun - attack the argument, not the person making it. We don't resort to name calling.

Anymore name calling or snark by anyone and the thread will have to be locked.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2012, 02:51:39 PM »
It doesn't have to "distinguish" between small arms and artillery.  It says "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."  It is OBVIOUSLY refering to those "arms" which can be kept and borne.

Citation needed. If there is support for this reading, I think we would all like to know about it. Without that, claiming that it is somehow demanded by the language is just fantasy.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2012, 03:32:05 PM »
It (2A) does not read "keep and bear arms on their persons". To bear has other seemingly obvious contemporary contextual applications which would extend beyond individual portability (e.g. horseback, wagons, boats/ships). These would also transition fairly seamlessly to modern parallel technologies.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2012, 04:21:47 PM »
The 2A applies to keeping arms and bearing arms. Those are two different things. A plain reading of the text simply doesn't connect keeping with bearing, other than to say that both are protected.

Now if we find that "the right to keep and bear arms" had that peculiar meaning to the Founders, such that keeping is dependent on bearing, that's a different story.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2012, 07:30:23 PM »
Tommygun's and Scalia's stance: an object can be illegal because the law says its illegal.
Yep, makes perfect sense if you graduated from the school of circular logic. ;/

More ineffable twaddle.  There's nothing "circular" about using the words of the amendment itself to help determine what the amendment means and what types of weapons it covers. 
You might not like the outcome but if you wish to expand the parameter of the second amendment I suggest you do the research and the work needed to do so.
It might be helpful to stop before you allow everyone to acquire nuclear warhead because I don't think I trust fistful with them. :rofl: [tinfoil] :angel:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2012, 07:37:08 PM »
You might not like the outcome but if you wish to expand the parameter of the second amendment I suggest you do the research and the work needed to do so.

Excellent!  "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

OK, looks like the people have a right to own and carry weapons, and that shall not be infringed. See? We know what it means now! Howitzers for everybody!

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2012, 07:57:42 PM »
You get to bear them, fistful............... >:D
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

brimic

• friends
« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2012, 09:38:41 PM »
More ineffable twaddle.:
Fixed your punctuation for you.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2012, 11:38:58 PM »
Fixed your punctuation for you.

Stick to your own posts smellfungus.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2012, 11:41:02 PM »
What's going on now? Did I punctuate that correctly?  ???

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2012, 11:43:04 PM »
What's going on now? Did I punctuate that correctly?  ???
:rofl:

brimic

• friends
« Reply #61 on: August 03, 2012, 11:13:05 AM »
What's going on now? Did I punctuate that correctly?
No, your ok.

I just wanted to fix TG's post so that it made more sense, as in:
More ineffable twaddle:  There's nothing "circular" about using the words of the amendment itself to help determine what the amendment means and what types of weapons it covers. 

Notice ho changing a . to a : makes more sense?
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #62 on: August 03, 2012, 11:23:58 AM »
Artillery should be regulated. No honest man needs a howitzer round smaller than a canned ham.
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #63 on: August 03, 2012, 11:30:07 AM »
No, your ok.

I just wanted to fix TG's post so that it made more sense, as in:
Notice ho(SIC) changing a . to a : makes more sense?

Brimic if you really want to make snarky remarks by "correcting" my posts you better learn to tidy up YOURS!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #64 on: August 03, 2012, 12:00:07 PM »
1.  Explosives are regulated separately from guns and ammo.  Nuclear weapons are not guns.  They are explosives.  How that fits in the 2nd Amendment, I am not sure I know.

2.  Would you say that artillery cannons without eplosive shells are significantly more dangerous than large caliber guns?  Perhaps, but just due to size and range.  IMO, an RPG with a dummy warhead isn't that much more dangerous than a 50 caliber rifle or similar rifle.  It is just scarier to the uninformed. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: August 03, 2012, 12:01:47 PM »
Stick to your own posts smellfungus.

Tommygun - attack the argument, not the person making it. We don't resort to name calling.

Anymore name calling or snark by anyone and the thread will have to be locked.

You were already warned once about civility in this thread.  Consider this your second. 

You will not be warned again.  Locked.