Author Topic: Tracking the "Other" side.  (Read 8238 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Tracking the "Other" side.
« on: August 02, 2012, 12:27:25 AM »
I'm not sure which one of my alleged "friends"signed me up, but I'm on the daily e-mail lists for: 1) the Obama campaign (daily requests for $$$). 2)  "Causes" and "Care2" - which is a "Sign my petition for every feel-good, knee-jerk liberal cause 20somethings named Emily or Kayla can think of, no matter how stupid."  and 3) The Center for Biogical Diversity" -which firmly believes that Charles Darwin should just stop it and not let anymore species join the other 99.9999% that have gone extinct.  Oh, and it's all our fault.

Anywhoo, here's today's from the CFBD, based on Zero scientific proof and the NRA boogeyman:

Dear Scout,

Just moments ago the National Rifle Association took legal action to block the EPA from protecting wildlife and people from being poisoned by lead hunting ammunition left in the wild.

Today's legal action challenges the Center for Biological Diversity's suit, filed last month with allies, to get the EPA to finally regulate toxic lead in hunting ammunition.

These outrageous attacks need to stop. Please make an emergency gift today and help us stand up to the NRA's assault on wildlife.

As I've written to you over the past two weeks, millions of birds are needlessly poisoned every year by toxic lead ammo left in the wild, including bald eagles, swans and endangered California condors.

Under the federal Toxic Substances Control Act, the EPA has the authority to stop this lead-poisoning epidemic with common-sense solutions -- but the NRA is using its muscle to throw up roadblocks to any new safeguards.

The NRA is bound and determined to keep the EPA from doing its job in protecting the millions of birds who die every year after being painfully poisoned by lead bullet fragments.

That's why we need your urgent support now with a gift to our Condor Defense Fund. Help defend the EPA's ability to regulate this deadly toxin and ensure not one more condor, swan or bald eagle is poisoned by lead bullets.

The Center has been working since 2004 to end the preventable lead poisoning of birds and reduce health risks for people eating lead-shot game.

Lead poisoning is the leading cause of death for America's ancient, critically endangered condors. Please make your gift today to stand up to the NRA and protect these extraordinary birds, along with other wildlife, threatened by lead poisoning.

We've faced this challenge before and know the NRA will stop at nothing to keep us from protecting endangered wildlife -- so we're in for a bare-knuckle fight.

Thank you for standing with us,

Fire away, so that I can fire back.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Tracking the "Other" side.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 01:49:16 AM »
Tasty, tasty condor...
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 02:09:39 AM »
I wonder, do these birds also eat nuts, bolts, and other pieces of metal? Haven't they evolved to the point where they can distinguish food from junk?

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 02:24:12 AM »
Maybe the birds are endangered because they are stupid.

Where is their save the Rodrigues Solitaire email?

Just say,  I was really disappointed that they do taste like chicken, but that is one big wishbone.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 06:22:04 AM »
The poisoning of condors by ingesting lead shot and bullet fragments from game animals has been pretty well established. They scavenge the remains left by hunters or the dead animals not harvested by the hunter.

They have already outlawed lead for hunting in Ca I believe, yet it has had no effect on the condor lead blood levels.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 08:10:27 AM »
Maybe the birds are endangered because they are stupid.

Where is their save the Rodrigues Solitaire email?

Just say,  I was really disappointed that they do taste like chicken, but that is one big wishbone.

jim

I'm thinking more a cross between Spotted owl and Bald eagle.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 09:30:00 AM »
The poisoning of condors by ingesting lead shot and bullet fragments from game animals has been pretty well established. They scavenge the remains left by hunters or the dead animals not harvested by the hunter.

They have already outlawed lead for hunting in Ca I believe, yet it has had no effect on the condor lead blood levels.
What?  You mean no one bothered to check for other sources of lead?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 11:11:04 AM »
millions of birds who die every year after being painfully poisoned by lead bullet fragments

Ya think they're gonna just jump in the roasting pan by themselves  :P

I dunno about the condors, but it seems like there are more bald eagles around every year  ???  And the redtails around here are almost a plague.  :facepalm:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 01:41:46 PM »
millions of birds who die every year after being painfully poisoned by lead bullet fragments

I liked that quote too.
It sounds a lot like a large number pulled out of the air like Dr. Evil would do.

They make no mention of how many birds are killed by windmills- its ok to be hypocritical if another lefty institution is involved.
Also interesting is that the banning of DDT came about due to weakening of egg shells- killing bird embryos birds  is somehow a far bigger tragedy than killing humans human embryos.

Sorry if this rubs some libertarians the wrong way, but I cannot pass up an opportunity to point out the hypocrisy of the left.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 05:49:40 PM »
I'm not sure which one of my alleged "friends"signed me up, but I'm on the daily e-mail lists for: 1) the Obama campaign (daily requests for $$$). 2)  "Causes" and "Care2" - which is a "Sign my petition for every feel-good, knee-jerk liberal cause 20somethings named Emily or Kayla can think of, no matter how stupid."  and 3) The Center for Biogical Diversity" -which firmly believes that Charles Darwin should just stop it and not let anymore species join the other 99.9999% that have gone extinct.  Oh, and it's all our fault.

Anywhoo, here's today's from the CFBD, based on Zero scientific proof and the NRA boogeyman:

Hey, Scout, do you reload?  If so, mail them some bullets (not cartridges, just the bullets) along with the note: "Just doing my part, see that these are disposed of properly, mmmkay? "

Watch the hand-wringing and screaming begin.
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 08:50:23 PM »
What?  You mean no one bothered to check for other sources of lead?

From what I've read the lead isotope detected indicates bullets as the source of lead, YMMV of course.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 10:14:27 PM »
From what I've read the lead isotope detected indicates bullets as the source of lead, YMMV of course.

How is bullet lead supposedly different from anyone else's lead?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 10:20:49 PM »

Just reporting to you what I've read over the years.

I guess your question leads to the next question: what other source of lead are the birds being exposed to?

Knee jerk reactions against the enviroweenies regardless of the merits of the issue just make us look like idiots of nothing more than a different kind.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 10:21:35 PM »
It contains a higher percentage of Higgs Bosons from an evil universe.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2012, 10:23:31 PM »

Moves faster.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2012, 03:43:05 AM »
Just reporting to you what I've read over the years.

I guess your question leads to the next question: what other source of lead are the birds being exposed to?

Knee jerk reactions against the enviroweenies regardless of the merits of the issue just make us look like idiots of nothing more than a different kind.

Exactly, there is usually a nugget a truth in there that they seize on and run wild with while ignoring other things, like the aforementioned windmills.

Yes there is other lead out there. Last I checked tho condors do not sneak up your drive at night to gnaw on your battery terminals and steal your wheel weights. They will however eat a dead animal with chunks of lead in it that a hunter deposited there.

That said, It's for the condors is also a handy excuse to ban anything we don't like. Better than "It's for the children!" Apparently easier to get more kids than condors.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2012, 09:56:20 AM »
That said, It's for the condors is also a handy excuse to ban anything we don't like. Better than "It's for the children!" Apparently easier to get more kids than condors.

Yup. The California Condor has become the poster child for all kinds of environmental activity out here - from banning lead bullets and shot to prohibiting hunting, fishing, and stream access in several wild areas.

Interestingly, Turkey Vultures are thriving here. Sometimes it's just time for a species to die. Species have been going extinct for longer than humans have existed.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2012, 10:06:21 AM »
Turkey Vultures are thriving [in California]

There's something poetic about that ...  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2012, 11:49:20 AM »
Do Condors upchuck on you if you mess with them like vultures will? 

My comment on the lead was that I figured no one had bothered to actually do any research for sources of lead.  It could come indirectly from lead ingested by animals they eat also.  Sort of like some of the spotted owl stuff.  I heard the original counts of them were badly flawed and understated.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2012, 03:06:08 PM »
Actually, if they're serious about those big numbers they should be marching against industrial animal slaughter, and ALL become hunters of wild game.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2012, 10:13:50 PM »
Sort of like some of the spotted owl stuff.  I heard the original counts of them were badly flawed and understated.

When loggers found spotted owl nests in second growth timber, the biologists would not come out to check on it.

So the loggers had to finally resume work and destroy the nests, because "spotted owls don't nest in second growth timber"  ;/

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2012, 01:26:43 AM »

Tire weights!

Damn.  I knew something was eating those things.

I no sooner get balanced, than I wind up losing a weight somewhere, and all this time I thought it was just bumpy roads.

=D
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2012, 05:25:36 PM »

they can differentiate between different alloys 
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2012, 05:32:09 PM »
I'm not sure where all this bullet riddled meat is supposed to be lying around, unless it's from shoot'n scoot poachers  =|

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2012, 06:20:46 PM »
I'm not sure where all this bullet riddled meat is supposed to be lying around, unless it's from shoot'n scoot poachers  =|

Bullet fragments in gut piles. Actually what I have read about the California Condor is that compared to other birds it does not take very much lead to kill them.

Protecting animals and the environment, usually leads to better living conditions for Homo Sapiens. I really don't want to live in some toxic wasteland because someone screamed there are too many regulations and we need to get rid of the EPA.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536