Author Topic: Photo ID Amendment  (Read 21445 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Photo ID Amendment
« Reply #100 on: August 09, 2012, 02:24:44 PM »
I think that's closer than my parents' closest trip to Walmart. (And mine growing up.) Illinois is a big state...

And yet, Texas is several times bigger.
Yeah, but there are a LOT more WalMarts!   :laugh:

I agree with comment above.  Anyone who has to drive a distance to a DPS office would likely have to drive a ways to vote anyhow.  Also, in my rural home town, the county seat has a driver's license office so I bet you could get an ID there also.  Most counties aren't quite that big as there are 254 of them in Texas I beleive.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #101 on: August 09, 2012, 02:47:28 PM »
The nearest Walmart to us is about 80 miles round trip if you take the dirt and gravel backroads, and 120 miles round trip if you take mostly paved roads.  The time is about the same; you can either buy more gas or buy more tires  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #102 on: August 09, 2012, 03:18:25 PM »
I ask this as a genuine question, because I don't know the answer...

Does a person seeking assistance from the County - welfare, food stamps, rent/fuel assistance, etc. - have to show some sort of photo ID? How about at the state level? Federal? (OK, there were three questions.)

If I report for Jury Duty, I have to. To get a (regular) job, I must. To open a bank account or cash a check, I must. Pawn something at a shop? I haven't done so, but I bet the answer is affirmative.

Surely these (soon-to-be) disenfranchised people must do something that requires a photo ID.

There are huge numbers of peeps without a driver license. So? They still need an ID for many, many 'normal' activities.
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #103 on: August 09, 2012, 03:28:43 PM »
I also have a question. If my license is suspended, is it no longer a valid ID? Or is the plastic card removed from my possession?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #104 on: August 09, 2012, 04:47:22 PM »
I also have a question. If my license is suspended, is it no longer a valid ID? Or is the plastic card removed from my possession?
I'm sure this varies from location to location.  In my area, police are supposed to take the actual card but (according to my cop buddy, anyway) it rarely actually happens.  Most cops let you keep it because it saves people the hassle of having to go get another ID.  Again, other areas likely differ.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #105 on: August 09, 2012, 05:36:42 PM »
I know in some states they punch a hole in the card to invalidate it as a drivers license, but it's still valid legal identification.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #106 on: August 10, 2012, 01:16:58 AM »
When my father turned in his DL when he went blind, the state (of Indiana) gave him a free* ID card.  Different color and says "IDENTIFICATION CARD" at the top instead of "Drivers' License", otherwise it's the exact same.

* - ID cards are free in Indiana, you still have to provide proof of who you are and proof of address.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 09:57:13 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #107 on: August 10, 2012, 01:19:09 AM »

There are huge numbers of peeps without a driver license. So? They still need an ID for many, many 'normal' activities.

See? We have lots of work to do already.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #108 on: August 10, 2012, 09:14:10 AM »
See? We have lots of work to do already.

Eh? I'm not pickin' up what you're puttin' down.

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #109 on: August 10, 2012, 04:10:15 PM »
Eh? I'm not pickin' up what you're puttin' down.

jb
I'm guessing there's a "Show me your papers!" thing there.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #110 on: August 11, 2012, 07:23:30 PM »
From post 24
(we can't say "*expletive deleted*" anymore?)

Certainly we MAY. We just mayn't specify which expletive was deleted!  =D
?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell