Author Topic: Rigged Choice Voting  (Read 77 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Rigged Choice Voting
« on: April 30, 2024, 04:09:54 PM »
Apparently the commie pinko hippies in Boise got enough signatures to get Ranked Choice voting on our ballot this November. I doubt they will get enough votes for it to pass.

I have always thought of it as a tool for a minority party to use to try and dilute the candidates from the other side. I notice it doesn't seem to be a popular concept in California. It seems like it pops up more in purple states, and always benefits the dems.

I learned about it making it on our ballot from the Idaho 2nd Amendment Alliance, and something I was unaware of is that you MUST rank candidates. In other words, you have to assign a number to every candidate running for an office. If you only approve of one candidate and hate the rest, and you only rank that candidate and not the others, they throw away your ballot. So in essence, you are forced to vote for people who you may vehemently disagree with. There is nothing American about that.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

griz

• friend
Re: Rigged Choice Voting
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2024, 05:05:18 PM »
I didn't know they would only count ranked votes.  My first impression is it would hurt mainstream candidates.  If a voter only knew of the two R&D candidates, he might list his actual pic as number one, and rate all the unknowns in front of the one he disliked.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #2 on: Today at 05:54:56 PM »
Look at what happened in Alaska with Palin. Two republicans and neither would drop out. The dem flipped the seat by getting all the other votes.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:56:31 PM »
Look at what happened in Alaska with Palin. Two republicans and neither would drop out. The dem flipped the seat by getting all the other votes.

That's exactly why it's so popular with Idaho commies and why they're pushing so hard for it here.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #4 on: Today at 08:44:04 PM »

The dem flipped the seat by funding the other republican which is what will happen every place rcv is tried.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: Today at 08:47:04 PM »
What is Ranked Choice Voting?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: Today at 09:03:20 PM »
What is Ranked Choice Voting?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instant-runoff_voting

Note that there are a bunch of variations, which makes it even more confusing and non-standardized. For instance, I mentioned above that the ranked choice voting they want for Idaho forces you, as Australia does, to put a mark by every candidate. Some systems apparently let you leave slots blank. So different states could be using different ranked choice systems in the same election if this were to become the standard for us.