Author Topic: The extremists DO hate puppies...  (Read 4900 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
The extremists DO hate puppies...
« on: July 01, 2008, 07:21:56 AM »
If ever there was a group that needed to be hit with valium darts...

How can you get angry at that?!

Muslims outraged at police advert featuring cute puppy sitting in policeman's hat

By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 12:15 PM on 01st July 2008

A postcard featuring a cute puppy sitting in a policeman's hat advertising a Scottish police force's new telephone number has sparked outrage from Muslims. 

Tayside Police's new non-emergency phone number has prompted complaints from members of the Islamic community.

The choice of image on the Tayside Police cards - a black dog sitting in a police officer's hat - has now been raised with Chief Constable John Vine.

The advert has upset Muslims because dogs are considered ritually unclean and has sparked such anger that some shopkeepers in Dundee have refused to display the advert.

Dundee councillor Mohammed Asif said: 'My concern was that it's not welcomed by all communities, with the dog on the cards.

'It was probably a waste of resources going to these communities.

'They (the police) should have understood. Since then, the police have explained that it was an oversight on their part, and that if they'd seen it was going to cause upset they wouldn't have done it.'

Councillor Asif, who is a member of the Tayside Joint Police Board, said that the force had a diversity adviser and was generally very aware of such issues.

He raised the matter with Mr Vine at a meeting of the board. 

Tayside Police Chief Constable John Vine said the advert was not intended to cause any offence

The chief constable said he was unaware of the concerns and that the force had not sought to cause any upset but added he would look into the matter.

Councillor Asif said: 'People who have shops just won't put up the postcard. But the police have said to me that it was simply an oversight and they did not seek to offend or upset.'

Cards featuring police dog-in-training Rebel have been distributed to communities throughout the area to advertise the single number point of contact for non-emergency calls to the police.

Rebel has proved a popular recruit for Tayside Police after coming through the very first Lothian and Borders Police dog-breeding programme in February. 

One of seven German Shepherd pups born in early December, he has now completed his course of inoculations, and is free to venture out onto the streets of Tayside.

A spokesman for Tayside Police said: 'Trainee police dog Rebel has proved extremely popular with children and adults since being introduced to the public, aged six weeks old, as Tayside Police's newest canine recruit.

'His incredible world-wide popularity - he has attracted record visitor numbers to our website - led us to believe Rebel could play a starring role in the promotion of our non-emergency number.

'We did not seek advice from the force's diversity adviser prior to publishing and distributing the postcards. That was an oversight and we apologise for any offence caused.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1030798/Muslims-outraged-police-advert-featuring-cute-puppy-sitting-policemans-hat.html#

I'm sorry. If someone is enraged by CUTE PUPPIES, they need to get the hell out of the Western world and get back to the sort of dysfunctional ickystan where that's accepted. What the hell?

The sane human reaction to that picture is to want to hug the cute puppy and muss its ears, and play with it. If you feel "outrage", you're broken.

If a cute puppy or kitten looking at you like that, with those sorts of eyes doesn't make you smile, you do not have a soul.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: The extremists DO hate puppies...
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 07:27:59 AM »
It's not an actual DOG they are being asked to put in their window.

It's a PICTURE of a dog.

And it looks like it had a bath right before the photo shoot.  It's clean.

Talk about making a mountain out of a mole-hill.

And frankly, while dogs may be "ritually unclean" in Muslim societies... England is a Western society with a tradition of honoring the bonds between man and dog.  That tradition carried across the ocean to Canada and the US and is still running strong, where a dog is respected as a valuable assett to Search and Rescue, Drug detection or other valuable services as well as personal protection and companionship.

This is OUR society, and we LOVE dogs.  Deal with it, Mohammed Asif.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 07:34:02 AM »
Silly police.

The should have used this picture.

It would have been universally acclaimed in Johnny Jihad land...

And yes, that is a REAL picture of a Palestinian toddler dressed up in a bomb belt several years ago.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 07:48:35 AM »
i just don't get why they're all offended.

there acting likes its a human rights voilation and its a picture of a puppy....

its a card with telephone numbers on it. if the dang puppy offends you, IGNORE IT!!!! duh...

"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 08:06:29 AM »
there acting likes its a human rights voilation and its a picture of a puppy....

I'd be tempted to start protesting how Burquas offend me.

I mean, the waste...  How many yards of fabric does one of them waste?  Wink

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 08:22:43 AM »
I hope some local racist group or anti-muslim group makes the same complaint about an ad featuring a person of Middle Eastern descent. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 08:26:18 AM »
You know, maybe it's just the media, but it seems like the Muslim community gets offended and outraged all the freaking time, over the smallest things.  Why is that?  Talk about intolerance...  rolleyes

MrRezister

• I resist. It's what I do.
  • friend
  • Shank, shank, shank mommy's ankles!
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 08:31:45 AM »
So once again the host country is expected to bow and scrape at every whim of every possible group that might take the slightest offense to anything they do.  AND THEY F'ING APOLOGIZED like pansies.  I may be physically ill soon.
He never brought you an unbalanced budget, which is a perennial joke. He never voted himself a wage increase and, to this day, gives back part of his salary every year. He has always voted to preserve the Constitution, cut government spending, lower healthcare costs, end the war on drugs, secure our borders with immigration reform and protect our civil liberties.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 08:36:03 AM »
The comments section of the paper there is interesting. One person referred to the extremists as "throwing their toys out of the pram" at just about everything. I like that.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2008, 10:49:08 AM »
Our strategy in Iraq is totally flawed.  All we need to do is take all our un-adopted dogs and puppies from animal shelters and turn them loose in Iraq  grin

Looking at the poster, I wondered if the puppy was going to pee on the police officer's hat  laugh

(one can hope, anyway Wink )
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2008, 11:38:56 AM »
I love it-

"We don't want pictures of dogs in our shops"

is "enraged behavior" how???

Seriously folks...the sum total of the reaction was this:

Councillor Asif said: 'People who have shops just won't put up the postcard. But the police have said to me that it was simply an oversight and they did not seek to offend or upset.'

Looks to me like the definition of "enraged" has been expanded so that anything done by a Muslim constitutes "acts of rage."
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2008, 11:54:35 AM »
I'm sorry. If someone is enraged by CUTE PUPPIES, they need to get the hell out of the Western world and get back to the sort of dysfunctional ickystan where that's accepted. What the hell?

Dogs are related closely to filth in the Muslim world.  Not everyone likes dogs.  We Yankees appreciate cleaniness and order and dislike dogs but we are not leaving the Western World as we created it and run it.

It's a PICTURE of a dog.

And it looks like it had a bath right before the photo shoot.  It's clean.

Talk about making a mountain out of a mole-hill.

It's a PICTURE of something some people consider filthy.  To them it is not a mole hill, it is an insult.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

agricola

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2008, 12:00:18 PM »
Quote from: BBC News
Muslim attack on Dogs "hypocritical", say pets.

There has been a vehement response by members of the British Canine Association to earlier comments by senior Muslim leaders that they found dogs "ritually unclean", following Tayside Police's use of Rebel to promote a new non-emergency phone line.

The Scottish head of the BCA, a six-year old Border Collie known as Peebles, said "Dogs have a long and proud history in the community, its about time we were treated as such.  To be described as "ritually unclean" by a group of people who constantly bemoan their own oppression could easily be described as hypocritical."

There were even threats by hardline elements of the canine community to befoul the pavements outside mosques, though Police have stressed these views were in a minority.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/scotland/32323.htm
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2008, 06:48:08 PM »
When people get all in a huff, I tell 'em a story about an incident that happened to a friend of mine, in my presence, a few years ago.

We were in downtown Dallas for one of those street fairs (I can't remember which one, it was around summertime though)
Some punks are harassing a muslim looking woman, she was wearing jeans, shirt, and one of those headscarf things.

My friend (who usually feels emboldened in public cuz he knows I carry, but that's a DIFFERENT rant altogether) basically goes up to the punks and yells at them for harassing the poor woman.

This womans' husband comes out of the woodwork afterwards, and..
...smacks my friend across the face for "being familliar" with his wife, speaking to her not in his presence.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2008, 07:28:09 PM »
How dare they be insulted when they knew that was not the intent.  angry
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2008, 11:44:16 PM »
How dare they be insulted when they knew that was not the intent.

But if they don't jerk the dog's Britain's leash on on a regular basis, how will it ever learn?
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2008, 12:29:47 AM »
When people get all in a huff, I tell 'em a story about an incident that happened to a friend of mine, in my presence, a few years ago.

We were in downtown Dallas for one of those street fairs (I can't remember which one, it was around summertime though)
Some punks are harassing a muslim looking woman, she was wearing jeans, shirt, and one of those headscarf things.

My friend (who usually feels emboldened in public cuz he knows I carry, but that's a DIFFERENT rant altogether) basically goes up to the punks and yells at them for harassing the poor woman.

...smacks my friend across the face for "being familliar" with his wife, speaking to her not in his presence.

And so he would have recieved a beatdown of epic proportions;

Lo. he would have lived in the Suck.

"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2008, 12:33:52 AM »

Said husband would have got an A$$ Whooping for smacking me and another for not sticking up for his own wife.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2008, 12:44:13 AM »
Looks to me like the definition of "enraged" has been expanded so that anything done by a Muslim constitutes "acts of rage."

Check that, bro.

Of course, the greater question is:

The police are, last I checked, a public entity. Shouldn't they respect the community they work for and avoid publishing imagery that offends it?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2008, 05:00:15 AM »

Check that, bro.

Of course, the greater question is:

The police are, last I checked, a public entity. Shouldn't they respect the community they work for and avoid publishing imagery that offends it?

What community? The country of SCOTLAND, perhaps?

The problem is that these groups of spoiled-brat extremists do not want to assimilate. Wherever they go, they own it. And that's what they expect.

Because that's what they get. Over and over again.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2008, 05:25:18 AM »
Apparently this was overstated.  Only one guy was outraged and he seems to be an attention whore:

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/output/2008/07/02/newsstory11590817t0.asp

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2008, 05:32:08 AM »
Apparently this was overstated.  Only one guy was outraged and he seems to be an attention whore:

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/output/2008/07/02/newsstory11590817t0.asp

What, they have their own Islamic Rage Boy? This sure made international media.

And the story really isn't the person being outraged, the real story is how quickly the authorities knocked their head against the ground to apologize for something they had no reason to apologize for. That's what was disturbing to me.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2008, 07:34:59 AM »
Sometimes people want to be offended JUST for the attention it gives them.

For example, the local animal shelter in Austin recently had a "Black is Beautiful" campaign, trying to get people to adopt black cats and black dogs, which tended to languish at the shelter. Any sane person would think this was just an innocent PR campaign to encourage people to rescue some animals that weren't currently fashionable.

You guessed it - some local NAACP activists decided it was their day to become offended, so they protested and sent out press releases about the inherent "racisim" in this campaign to encourage adoption of black pets.

And then they wonder why they're held in such low esteem.  rolleyes

. . .This womans' husband comes out of the woodwork afterwards, and . . . smacks my friend across the face for "being familliar" with his wife, speaking to her not in his presence.

Said husband would have got an A$$ Whooping for smacking me and another for not sticking up for his own wife.
A big "+1" on that last . . . and if I had a pork chop, slab of bacon, or a ham sandwich I would've shoved it down the @$$wipe's throat.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2008, 12:33:55 AM »
That's a waste of good food.  If I meet you, I'm taking some pain meds first, bringing beer, then insulting you throroughly.  grin

What, they have their own Islamic Rage Boy?
Somehow, an Emo kid with a beard came to mind, and I laughed coffee through my nose.  smiley
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Paragon

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2008, 02:14:04 AM »
Well, look on the bright side...thanks to the guy who was so badly offended, he doesn't need to put up the sign!  The whole world has seen it now because of his whining.  The police should thank him.  grin