Author Topic: The face of Obama followers, in their own words.  (Read 6323 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: The face of Obama followers, in their own words.
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2008, 05:01:43 PM »
http://www.flufacts.com/treatment/antibiotics.aspx

then again there are real doctors with an opinion

Why Antibiotics Cannot Cure the Flu

Although it seems like antibiotics would be one of the better options for fighting the flu, this is actually not the case. Antibiotics have a completely different purpose, and should never be used to treat the influenza virus.

Antibiotics are medicines that kill bacteria and are, therefore, only useful for treating bacterial infections. The flu is a viral infection, not bacterial, and because of this it cannot be treated with antibiotics. Taking antibiotics to fight the flu can actually be harmful to your health. Inappropriate use of antibiotics contributes to the development of antibiotic resistance, which is a growing health concern.

Bacterial and viral infections are distinctly different, and require different treatments. Therefore, we’ve prepared a list of helpful questions to ask your doctor.

It’s important to know all your treatment options, such as antivirals, so you can be better prepared if you get the flu.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2008, 05:14:57 PM »
http://www.flufacts.com/treatment/antibiotics.aspx

then again there are real doctors with an opinion

Why Antibiotics Cannot Cure the Flu

Although it seems like antibiotics would be one of the better options for fighting the flu, this is actually not the case. Antibiotics have a completely different purpose, and should never be used to treat the influenza virus.

Antibiotics are medicines that kill bacteria and are, therefore, only useful for treating bacterial infections. The flu is a viral infection, not bacterial, and because of this it cannot be treated with antibiotics. Taking antibiotics to fight the flu can actually be harmful to your health. Inappropriate use of antibiotics contributes to the development of antibiotic resistance, which is a growing health concern.

Bacterial and viral infections are distinctly different, and require different treatments. Therefore, we’ve prepared a list of helpful questions to ask your doctor.

It’s important to know all your treatment options, such as antivirals, so you can be better prepared if you get the flu.

I did not claim that antibiotics can cure the flu.  I said they can prevent or cure opertunistic bacterial cross-infections.  If a patient has chronic reinfections of the ears or sinus, for example, prophyllactic administration of antibiotics may indeed be prescribed by the doctor for a patient with the flu.  Even a "real" doctor with an opinion.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

• friends
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2008, 05:28:11 PM »
http://cdc.gov/Features/GetSmart/

http://her.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/23/1/146

http://www.idsociety.org/Content.aspx?id=11984

i probably got confused by your reply to this

If you had the flu dude, you don't need penicillin.  Antibiotics are useless against viral diseases and will only kill helpful bacteria in the absence of harmful bacteria.

with this

Wrong.  An antibiotic can prevent oppertunistic cross-infections of the ears, sinus, eyes, throat, etc, while one's natural defenses are down.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2008, 06:30:00 PM »
http://cdc.gov/Features/GetSmart/

http://her.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/23/1/146

http://www.idsociety.org/Content.aspx?id=11984

i probably got confused by your reply to this

If you had the flu dude, you don't need penicillin.  Antibiotics are useless against viral diseases and will only kill helpful bacteria in the absence of harmful bacteria.

with this

Wrong.  An antibiotic can prevent oppertunistic cross-infections of the ears, sinus, eyes, throat, etc, while one's natural defenses are down.

Allow me to try to unconfuse you.  See the part in green above?  The part that reads, "Antibiotics are useless against viral diseases..."?  Its not exactly true.  If it had read "antibiotics won't cure a viral disease", it would be technically true, but misleading.  You see, not all medical treatment is done with the aim of curing the underlying disease.  Sometimes, medical treatment is undertaken with the intent of reducing pain.  Sometimes, they treat the symptom, to make the patient more comfortable.  And sometimes, medical treatment is intended to keep the patient from getting worse - especially when the patient's immune system is already beat down.  Like happens with chemo.  Or radiation treatment.  Or HIV.  Or the flu, even.  The flu can kill - it kills thousands every year - sometimes millions.  And do you know what the primary mechanism it kills with?  Secondary bacterial infection leading to fatal pneumonia.  So antibiotics just might keep grandpa or a baby with the flu from dying.  Yes, technically, they don't "cure" the flu.  But "not cure" is far different from "useless".  Insulin doesn't "cure" diabetis - it just keeps you from deteriorating from it and dying.  The HIV drugs don't "cure" HIV, they just delay or prevent the onset of full blown AIDS.  Are we clear now?

Now lets get to the part in red.  You know, the part that reads, "will only kill helpful bacteria in the absence of harmful bacteria..."?  This little nugget of "wisdom", as it happens, is also WRONG!  You see, its that little word, "only", that makes it wrong.  Certainly, if the antibiotics are misused, that is ONE thing that could happen.  Its not the ONLY thing.  For one, they could kill you outright if you have an allergic reaction to them and go into anaphyllactic shock.  You know what else they could do?  They could PREVENT a dangerous bacteria from establishing a viable population IN THE FIRST PLACE!  They call such treatment "preventative medicine", and such use of a drug a "prophyllactic" use.  Just like calling condoms "prophyllactics" when they are used to prevent the spread of disease.  Just like if the doctors are trying to keep Grandpa with the flu from dying of pneumonia...

Sorry for the big words and I hope this clears up your confusion.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

• friends
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2008, 06:48:06 PM »
oh the big words don't scare me muck. all those other fellers from the cdc and those other amateur sites use lots and lots of big words. got me all a flutter with that there "antibiotic resistant propaganda they endorse. saw a guy who died from that flesh eating variety. that coupled with their wiley propaganda swayed me over to the dark side of thinking that antibiotics are over used. seen so many folks go and ask for and get em for viral conditions over the decades.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2008, 08:23:03 PM »
Ok, we're now arguing for the sake of argument.  The influenza virus, per se, is not treated with antibiotics.  Secondary bacterial infections, sure, but to say a doctor will treat somebody with antibiotics for exhibiting flu symptoms is a bit of a stretch. 

Never mind that antibiotics won't cure Obama followers, either.

Closed for annoying thread drift. 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"