Author Topic: The f-150 slave cylinder saga continues...  (Read 2286 times)

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
The f-150 slave cylinder saga continues...
« on: February 17, 2006, 05:25:34 PM »
Just picked up my truck.
Half way home, the slave cylinder went out again.  The one I just paid $484 to have replaced.  My truck gets another flatbed ride tomorrow.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 05:30:17 PM »
Whaaaaahhgghh!!!!
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

mfree

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 05:53:17 PM »
It's not overextending, is it? I'm not familiar with how those are set up but if it's external with an actuating lever the lever may be bent...

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 05:58:17 PM »
I have no idea.  That's the kind of the thing the dealer should be checking when I pay them money to fix a problem.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 07:18:25 PM »
Let me tell you about the Ford dealership I know. They've been having a tough time moneywise and let go of all but a couple of their best mechanics and replaced them with brandy new cheez whiz's straight outta the tech school. Did you catch my comment about the one that smashed his own face in with a 10 lb sledge? Somewhere down in the Southern Expressions thread IIRC. Can't say this is true at your place. Sounds awful familiar though.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006, 07:19:55 PM »
I learned tonight that the mechanics at this dealership work on commission.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006, 08:12:12 PM »
Oh yea, They go by the "book" if it says the job takes 5 hours and you can do it in 1, the customer STILL pays the 5 hours. It's called "incentive". I know people that'll rack up near 40 hours IN ONE DAY! Then the rest of the week is overtime. Some of those guys make well into the six figure range. It's sick.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2006, 09:37:40 PM »
Quote from: 280plus
Oh yea, They go by the "book" if it says the job takes 5 hours and you can do it in 1, the customer STILL pays the 5 hours. It's called "incentive". I know people that'll rack up near 40 hours IN ONE DAY! Then the rest of the week is overtime. Some of those guys make well into the six figure range. It's sick.
Tell you the truth, I don't mind.  We live in a capitalistic society.  If a mechanic is slow, he earns less as he gets less work done.  If he's speedy gonzales and can rebuild an entire engine in less than an hour, he deserves six figures...

A good thing about going by 'book' is that you, as the customer, don't get charged extra if they end up taking longer for it, unless they find hidden damage or something which is legitametly more work.

I don't know about you, but I'm paying to have my car fixed, not have a mechanic work on it a specific amount of time.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2006, 02:24:31 AM »
Yea, you probably have a point about the taking longer stuff, but I know of one task listed as an eight hour job that was reduced to 1 hour by taking a hole saw to the fenderwell of your car. Without your knowledge of course. And you WILL be charged for the whole eight hours. I just don't get any warm fuzzy feelings about things like that. What ELSE are they doing to beat the book that we don't know about?

...has left the building.

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2006, 04:48:31 AM »
This is why I'm learning to fix cars myself...

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2006, 06:06:41 AM »
I thought you said in an earlier post that it was under warranty?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2006, 06:11:41 AM »
I thought it would be.  It wasn't.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2006, 06:15:25 AM »
How many miles on the truck? What year?

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2006, 06:15:50 AM »
66,122, 2002.

onions!

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2006, 06:16:15 AM »
I'm not going to argue the pros & cons of "flat rate".I thought that I'd just explain how the hours are figured out.
This is GMs system,the other automakers & Mitchell may well use a different one.
GM has a garage on site that closely mimics what you will find at an auto dealer.They have all the needed hoists & hand tools.All the jacks,lubricants,& service manuals(the service manuals might well be written by those overseeing the goings on in the shop).GM doesn't use Master Mechanics w/a lifetime of wrenching.Instead,they use young people just out of tech schools.They do have access to a MM but his job is advice-not hands on.IIRC,they average the time it takes to do a repair based on @ least three attempts from three different mechanics.These guys are the ones that figure out the need for "special"tools as well.It's likely that there is a little clip or retainer that hold the clutch hose to the slave cylinder assembly on Dasmi's truck that needs a "special" tool-fuel filters are good for that kind of tool as well.Between the Engineers & these guys in the tech cntr they determine what the correct tools needed to complete the job are.
The real bonus that these guys have-& what the techs in the field have to beat is that these guys have all brand new cars to work on.Here in Mi rust is huge.Crawl under a brand new truck & it is likely already crusty & rusty.So,if a guy in the tech center takes,say,2.1 hours to swap out a power steering pump then GM might publish a labor time of 2.3 hours in their manual.The extra covers wear & tear on the fasteners,corrosion,& unforseen stuff.The dealer mechanics do have another advantage that's a bit slower to reach the little shops.They usually are MMs & have the advantage of their own & fellow mechanics expierience.Also,if a dealer mech finds a significant way to both correctly complete the job & beat time then he can get $$$ &,if  he shares it w/GM TAC(technical assistance center-GMs master mechanics on call to every dealership in the country).& if it can be verified,a bulletin w/the revised procedure is sent to the dealerships.  

Now,before you cry foul about labor rates remember this.The people writing the manuals DO NOT WANT labor times to be any higher than the absolute reasonable minimum!When a vehicle is under warranty & GM has to pay to replace a starter they won't pay a minute over the minimum published time.They do,however,have to pay all those above mentioned people that you wouldn't even expect to exist.This is what kills me.Our dealership gets $75/hour to work on customer vehicles.The dealer mechanics get all the latest training & tools.They work in an eviroment that costs thousands of dollars to maintain every month(just the heat & light bills run into the thousands-let alone salaries,phone,CC machine,support personell(receptionist)& equipment repair).Funny thing is that the local Joe's Garage gets $68/hour,pays out hundreds in maintenence costs,has little(if any)training,has to borrow tools & doesn't have to pay for much of their on site inventory(usually done on consignment).Draw your own conclusions from that.

280plus' reference to the hole saw fix is true.IIRC we had something similar a few years ago to replace the A/C evaporator on a Jimmy.Another good one are the heater cores on a late Eighties Ford Taurus'(Tauri?Smiley).When those came out they were hated!Book time was about 8.5 hours & a lot of guys were on them for twice that!I know a few guys that can do them in under two hours now & the labor time is now down to around 6.

Now my opinion.Dealer mechanics?I'll never let one of them touch my stuff (gracefully aged stuff,that is)again.Not because of a lack of qualification,I just don't like their attitude.Too much whining.Our svc advisor even has a cry bucket w/all their names on it.It gets handed out regularly.Over the last sixteen years of doing this I've never met a bigger group of primadonnas as those that work as dealership mechanics.If I had something out of warranty & needed a repair that I didn't/couldn't do I'd go right by word of mouth to a local guy.Hell & I work for a dealer.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2006, 06:19:28 AM »
Well, if they fixed it and it didn't stay fixed, they get to fix it again on their dime.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2006, 06:22:04 AM »
Of course.  And if they are going to have it more than a day, I'm going to try and get a rental or loaner out of them, because I've already been without my truck since Thursday.  I'm way behind on some things I need to get done.

onions!

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2006, 06:25:21 AM »
If it's not under warranty I'd ask them if they are using  FoMoCo parts to do the repair.It's not unusual to see aftermarket stuff installed after warranty is up.Nothing wrong w/that mind,I'd just want to know.

& yes,the dealer can use aftermarket parts on an out of warranty repair.& does for the same reason that Joes Garage does.$$$$$

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2006, 06:29:57 AM »
Being that this is my frist dealer-purchased vehicle, I'm not sure how exactly to handle this.  Should I ask for  partial refund on the work, and what are the chances of actually getting one?

onions!

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2006, 06:45:15 AM »
Honestly?I'd just tell them to make it right,cover the cost of the second(after repair)tow,& give you something to drive in the interim.If they resist then I'd talk to the boss.You shouldn't even have to go that far.Have you been to this place before,for other services/routine maintenence?Familiarity greases the wheels.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2006, 06:46:42 AM »
I bought the truck there, that's it.  It hasn't needed any other service.  Did oil changes at a local shop, brakes myself, and tires were done by Evans.
EDIT:  About a month after I bought it, I took it there to have the Lojack installed.  But that was back in June 2004.

M14rick

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2006, 07:15:36 AM »
I have agree with everything 41mag said.....I used to work at a DaimlerChrysler (There is reason Diamler comes first!) dealer, it's the same deal as GM. And that includes the primma donnas!!!!

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2006, 08:30:32 AM »
Well, my truck just got towed away for the second time this week.  Here we go again Smiley

280plus

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2006, 09:32:28 AM »
I've never met a bigger group of primadonnas as those that work as dealership mechanics.
Can I get a big AMEN!! brother!

I almost had grounds to maul one once. No, no almost about it I HAD grounds. All about his attitude too, not his skills.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2006, 11:49:10 AM »
Ok, dealer says it's ready.  Apparently they didn't bleed the system right the first time.