Author Topic: The fabled '71 Mustang...  (Read 1728 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
The fabled '71 Mustang...
« on: September 16, 2012, 08:31:10 AM »
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3425700655449&set=a.3425700295440.2118624.1658257467&type=1&theater&notif_t=like

I remember one time I was sitting at a light. A much prettier car pulled up alongside me and the jokers in it were pointing at mine and laughing. Then the light turned green. Wiped the smiles right off their faces.  :rofl: >:D

351C-4V and factory 4 speed. Holley 650 double pumper that was actually a little too much for the motor but if you knew how to get around that, well...
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 08:34:52 AM by 280plus »
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
Re: The fabled '71 Mustang...
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 10:08:05 AM »
There were a few option packages that year that turned that car into a tire eating monster. 
A high school buddy...........
7-11 was a part time job.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 10:11:59 AM »
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3425700655449&set=a.3425700295440.2118624.1658257467&type=1&theater&notif_t=like

I remember one time I was sitting at a light. A much prettier car pulled up alongside me and the jokers in it were pointing at mine and laughing. Then the light turned green. Wiped the smiles right off their faces.  :rofl: >:D

351C-4V and factory 4 speed. Holley 650 double pumper that was actually a little too much for the motor but if you knew how to get around that, well...

Would that be a Cleveland, not a Windsor?
4bbl Cleveland 351s were killer engines.
I seem to recall that they had intake ports that would flow to support way over 400 cubic inches!
Awesome.

I had a 1970 Dart, 340 4 speed with a six pack. Very fast car!
I raced my buddy in a 1970 Torino, 351 Cleveland, 4 speed.
I only beat him by 1/2 fender, and his car was much heavier.
Lot of power in that Ford!

'Course there was my 1968 440 GTX, and the 1972 Cuda 318.
Ah, those were the days.......

Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

280plus

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 10:25:55 AM »
Right 351C 2.02 semi hemi semi wedge heads. They came from the factory that year with 11:1 compression. When I bought it it had a blown cylinder. I had it redone and they bored it 0.30 over and dropped it to 10.5:1. There was 98 octane Premium leaded in those days. ;) So it was actually like 360 CI. "mild cam" whatever that means.  =D

I guestimate it was pushing maybe a little over 300 HP. 3:90 gears in the rear. friggin thing honked, now I'm so sad I don't have it anymore.  :'(

Tehn again, I stopped getting so many tickets when I sold it and bought a 70 4 cyl Fiat124 wagon (that would do 90 mph in 3rd gear) It was pretty "peppy" too but much less conspicuous.  :laugh:
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 10:29:33 AM by 280plus »

280plus

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 10:28:16 AM »
Actually IIRC they were rated at 285 from the factory so I'm going to say maybe 325 hp-ish.

They were very easy to get 500 HP out of from what I've read. Never took it quite that far.  :angel:

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 01:56:35 PM »
Actually IIRC they were rated at 285 from the factory so I'm going to say maybe 325 hp-ish.

They were very easy to get 500 HP out of from what I've read. Never took it quite that far.  :angel:

The 340s were factory rated @ 290hp.
They were more like 340~350hp, so I'll bet that the 351C was higher.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

grampster

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 06:50:46 PM »
From the looks of it, you could leave the keys in the ignition without having to worry about it. :lol:
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 11:19:53 PM »
A buddy in high school had a 72 Mach 1 mustang

It was loud and fast
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

280plus

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 12:04:46 AM »
From the looks of it, you could leave the keys in the ignition without having to worry about it. :lol:
Actually, somebody tried to steal it from the just outside the base parking lot. Broke of the ignition wing thingy but never got it started. I still have that piece somewhere. lol. Funniest part (sort of) They took my cassettes and my Craig slide mount that I'd forgotten to put in the trunk. LEFT the friggin mount which was not bolted to anything, just wired and sitting right on the hump between the seats. Why they slid it out instead of just ripping the whole thing out is totally beyond me to this day. Mine was not loud, "Hush" Thrush baby. It sounded real sweet. Especially when you opened it up. Of course. :'(

280plus

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 12:15:26 AM »
I rode in a 340 Dart. I knew mine had more power even though the guy was telling me what a monster it was the whole ride. I just smiled and nodded. Honest to God.  :laugh:

It had a nice flat torque curve all the way up. The only thing you had to watch was off the line you couldn't just floor it because the double pumper pumped a wee bit too much and it would bog. Can't remember what I was shifting at, I want to say maybe 6000 ish. It was red lined at 7000 IIRC. It was not balanced but it had a seasoned crank and rods from the original block. 

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 08:14:08 AM »
A buddy in high school had a 72 Mach 1 mustang

It was loud and fast
I had one in college, it was neither.  It would serve as a passable oven, though.  A quarter acre of rear window over a black package shelf.  The vertical projection was still like peering thru a pillbox gunslit.  Dark blue, black interior, and black landau roof.  The aerodynamics of it were such that with the windows down at 80mph, it would barely ruffle my hair.  (which I had, back then).  Potholders needed to touch the shell. 
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 08:20:59 AM »
You'll notice mine did not have the parking lot sized rear window. I believe the body style was called the "Grande" but don't quote me on it. I like that look better than the fastback. (Fastback, there's a word I haven't used in a while.  :lol:

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2012, 10:29:06 AM »
I had a 71 Mach1 with the 351 Cleveland and 4bbl when I was in High School. I just tried to look for a photo to scan but I think the photos from that era are all at my folks. Mine had the GT500 (working) hood scoops. Also the dual turbo exhaust that drove my folks' neighbors crazy - and would likely drive me crazy today. I think it would be the equivalent of the current crop of rice burners with their little glass pax. If I had that car today, I would have to tell myself to get off my own lawn.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

280plus

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2012, 11:00:03 AM »
I saw one of those with the workinf=g scoops and all at a car show maybe 20 years ago, mint condition with only 15,000 miles on it. I think it was worth in the $50,000 range. According to the owner anyways.  ;)

Mine was special order form the factory. The original owners bought it to tow their camper. It had a trailer hitch permanently mounted to the frame. Even towed a camper with it once to CAL JAM II  :lol:

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2012, 11:03:49 AM »
I saw one of those with the workinf=g scoops and all at a car show maybe 20 years ago, mint condition with only 15,000 miles on it. I think it was worth in the $50,000 range. According to the owner anyways.  ;)

And I sold mine to a buddy around 1982 for like $1500 (I paid $1700).  :'(
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

280plus

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2012, 11:05:24 AM »
That was when my "friend" Karen left all her pot in one of the camper cupboards (she ditched us for some guy) and the guy at the Navy Exchange found it when I went to turn the camper back in. Not only would she not own up for it and get me out of hot water with the navy but SHE THOUGHT I SHOULD PAY HER BACK FOR IT!! (I laughed at her) The Master at Arms says, "I know if you had that much pot hidden in there you wouldn't have forgotten about it." Let me off the hook. I thought I was a goner for sure.  ;)

280plus

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2012, 11:08:16 AM »
Sold mine to a Mexican for $1200 but never got the last $200. It was pretty rusted up though, I'd bondo it up and 3 months later it'd be bleeding through again. I was a better mechanic than a body man.  :laugh:

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

280plus

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2012, 03:27:54 PM »
heh, by the time I was done there wouldn't be an original part left. Maybe the tires and rims? yea, it was that bad. Michigan car.