Author Topic: More state sanctioned property theft  (Read 2000 times)

Dannyboy

• friend
More state sanctioned property theft
« on: November 22, 2007, 08:41:12 AM »
This just chaps my ass to no end.

http://davidharsanyi.com/blog/2007/11/19/land-grabber-deluxe/

Property right wrongly taken
By David Harsanyi
The Denver Post
Article Last Updated: 11/19/2007 01:09:34 AM MST

Related

* Boulder Land Battle
    * Nov 20:
    * Panel won't probe Boulder land ruling
    * Nov 19:
    * Obscure doctrine gives former judge part of Boulder neighbors' land
    * Nov 18:
    * Lawyers awarded property next door

The story is so absurd, so unfair, so ludicrous, I had a difficult time believing that it could actually happen - even in Boulder.

It's about a couple named Don and Susie Kirlin. They moved to the city in 1980. A few years later, the Kirlins purchased a plot of land near their residence, hoping to someday build a "dream home."

"We took advantage of the market in the early '80s," says Susie Kirlin, almost apologetic for making a smart investment.

Children interfered slightly with the master plan - three of them in the next few years - postponing any development of the property.

As the children began to make their own way in life, the couple decided it was time to finally develop the property in late 2006.

By then, it was too late.

Despite owning the land, despite living only 200 yards from the property, despite hiking past it every week with their three dogs, despite spraying for weeds and fixing fences, despite paying homeowner association dues and property taxes each year, someone else had taken a shine to it. Someone powerful.

Former Boulder District Judge, Boulder Mayor, RTD board member - among other elected positions - Richard McLean and his wife, attorney Edith Stevens, used an arcane common law called "adverse possession" to claim the land for their own.

All McLean needed was to develop an "attachment" to it.

Undoubtedly, his city connections couldn't have hurt, either.

In the court papers, McLean and his family admit to regularly trespassing on the Kirlins' property.

They created paths. They said they put on a political fundraiser and parties on it (though not a single photograph of these events surfaced in court documents).

This habit of trespassing developed into an affection.

If we take McLean at his word, he should have been treated appropriately: like a common criminal. Instead, the former judge demanded a chunk of the land for himself - and implausibly he got it.

How did the Kirlins learn this travesty was afoot? Susie Kirlin was warned about it at a Boulder High School football game. Be cautious, her neighbor warned, someone has designs on your property.

"I laughed when I first heard it. I really didn't know that anyone had an emotional attachment to our land," Kirlin tells me. "I was quite surprised. I was even more surprised that someone could claim our land. But my neighbor told me this was a well- connected person and I should take it seriously."

When the couple began building a fence on the land - which is within Boulder city limits, not out in the wilderness - McLean was able, according to the Kirlins, to obtain a restraining order in an exceptionally speedy 2 1/2 hours.

Boulder District Judge Morris Sandstead, who served with McLean, issued the restraining order quite swiftly.

Serendipity, I guess.

All of this adds up to District Judge James Klein ordering the Kirlins to sign over about 34 percent of their 4,750-square-foot lot to McLean and his wife last month.

"Now the lot is just about worthless," explains Don Kirlin. "We estimate the land was worth about $800,000 to a million dollars. Now, we can't build anything on it."

Surely, that was the goal.

To add insult, the case, which the Kirlins are appealing, has cost the family over $100,000 in legal fees.

Property rights, one of the foundational ideas of this nation, mean less and less these days. Abusive eminent domain cases are popping up all over the county. This, a bit different, is probably one of the most absurd cases I've heard.

Boulder has a reputation of being a, um, quirky town. Some of this is indisputably deserved. Judging from the angry reaction up there, however, most citizens are outraged. And that is certainly heartening.

Attempts to reach McLean were unsuccessful. His lawyer declined comment. McLean's legacy, we can only hope, is sullied for good.

But what lesson can we all learn from this episode? Easy. If you fancy some undeveloped property - and have no scruples - keep walking on it until you create a path.

Have a party.

Eventually, the land can be yours.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Re: More state sanctioned property theft
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 08:56:59 AM »
Karma has a brother. His name is Henry Bowman...

Blog under construction

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 09:20:53 AM »
I feel sorry for the Kirlins, I really do, but that said they are victims of their own stupidity.

Not walking their property regularly (monthly at least) to verify no one else was using it and especially not fencing and not posting it was just plain stupid.

Unused land is an open invitation to someone to use it and once they do after a certain amount of time it essentially becomes theirs unless the owners took reasonable steps to preclude that use.

In the movies it's called squatters rights. Its not just a movie concept - its real.

It is incumbent upon property owners to be aware of such things.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 09:47:34 AM »
Karma has a brother. His name is Henry Bowman...

Indeed it does.  McLean & Stevens have become rather a pair of pariahs in these parts, since their visages are known, as is at least one of their vehicles and license plate.  They've had to disconnect their phone lines due to the response to their theivery.

The Kirlins have set up a web site about their conflict.

http://www.landgrabber.org/
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 11:41:24 AM »
Thems by shootin words.

Judge or not If it was my property I would kill them and get rid of the bodies.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2007, 03:02:25 PM »
Adverse possession exists in the laws of many states, and has since colonial times. It is not a new concept. However, the specifics vary from state to state. In some states, all one needs to do to create a claim of adverse possession is to regularly use someone else's land. After you have done that for a period of 'X' years, you can claim an interest in the land by virtue of "adverse possession." This is why my grandfather regularly had us grandkids go out and post No Trespassing signs along the property lines. People would tear them down almost immediately, but by putting the signs up and making people tear them down, the trespassers were on notice that they were trespassing and that (in most states) blunts any claims of adverse possession.

Where I live now, the law for adverse possession requires that the adverse party not only use the land regularly but also pay the taxes on it. If that's the law in your state, as long as the tax bill comes to you and you pay it, you're protected against such claims.

Walking the perimeter of your property at least once a year, and fencing it, is a wise precaution.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2007, 07:18:34 PM »
Jaysus Mary and Joseph!

I jusr re-read the article. The lot is (was) 4,750 square feet. That's approximately 1/10 (that's right, one tenth) of an acre.

$800,000 to $1 million? I guess I won't be reloacting to Boulder in search of a more affordable place to live ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2007, 08:56:38 PM »

Call me fuzzy brained, but why didn't the property owners file charges against the trespassers?  I read that said former Judge entered into the records documents saying he willfully committed trespass for x number of years.  Uhm.  So why not file criminal charges?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2007, 12:36:03 PM »
So why not file criminal charges?

Maybe they were nice neighborly people, you know - the kind that don't shoot trespassers and don't call the cops when someone walks across their yard?  rolleyes
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2007, 12:47:48 PM »
Maybe they were nice neighborly people, you know - the kind... ...that don't call the cops when someone walks across their yard?  rolleyes
Which in this case seems to have not been the wise choice.

But then we all know what they say:

Nice guys finish last!
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

RJMcElwain

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2007, 12:42:57 PM »
This is all a good argument for requiring ethics and morals classes for all law students. Obviously, these two lawyers have no idea of the concept. angry

Bob
Robert J. McElwain
Practical Libertarian

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." ~Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334 (C.J.Boyd, Ed., 1950)

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2007, 01:48:16 PM »
I'm glad this article showed up here. We've been fighting a guy because he has been using part of the land owned by the owners of where we hunt. I know that this has been ongoing for at least nine years. It did make me look up what the law about adverse possession is here in MN. Another parcel, the place where I actually hunt, has started being used as a "party spot". That'll be corrected this spring.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2007, 03:14:17 PM »
Maybe they were nice neighborly people, you know - the kind that don't shoot trespassers and don't call the cops when someone walks across their yard?

From what I've read about this, the Kirlins offered their neighbors enough of their lot to provide for "Eddie's Path" as its called.  No dice.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2007, 07:26:02 AM »
Sounds like they need a nice big mob to tar and feather that judge and burn his house down. 

If that won't work, look at the HOA rules for the property and build a the cheapest house(s) they can right next to the judge's place.  Paint them pink. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge