Author Topic: USAF museum hanger hit by a tornado  (Read 245 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
USAF museum hanger hit by a tornado
« on: March 04, 2024, 07:15:01 PM »
Hit one of the restoration hangers and thankfully not one of the main hangers but still bad enough. Several aircraft took a hit outside the hanger but no real word yet on aircraft inside. Also thankfully no injuries.
Comment to the YT video reports that he heard that "Swoose" the oldest surviving B-17 and the only D model left is fine.

Tornado Damages Wright-Patterson AFB and U.S. Air Force Museum
https://www.airandspaceforces.com/wright-patterson-air-force-base-tornado/

YT video

One of the worst nightmares for a museum is storm damage. A tornado hit a restoration hangar and ramp area of the National Museum of the United States Air Force (NMUSAF). Damaged aircraft visible in this raw footage include a Douglas A-26 Invader, a Lockheed F-104 Starfighter, and a Lockheed T-33 Shooting Star. Fortunately no injuries were reported following the early-morning severe weather event on Feb. 28, 2024. Blown-in windows and hangar doors leave questions open about any damage to airframes and artifacts inside the restoration hangar. Video is of the National Museum of the U.S. Air Force’s Restoration Hangar 4, Gate 22B (I-675 Gate) at Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio (U.S. Air Force video by Jeff Harris and Austin Smith).
TORNADO HITS USAF MUSEUM RESTORATION HANGAR - 28 FEB 2024 (NMUSAF)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyPE0Tyd3-Y
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

T.O.M.

• friend
Re: USAF museum hanger hit by a tornado
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2024, 09:38:33 PM »
I lived not far from there in the early 90s.  Spent a ton of free time wandering around the museum.  Highly recommended, especially since it's free.

That storm system came through our area that morning. NoAA has confirmed a tornado touchdown about five miles from home.  Not a great wake up call at 0500.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2024, 07:18:30 AM »
Yep, absolutely incredible museum. Was there in the 1990s. Fantastic.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2024, 07:21:00 AM »
It's grown considerably since then. Well worth a return visit.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2024, 10:52:44 AM »
No real damage to aircraft inside the hanger.
The damaged aircraft outside were slated to be disposed of anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S7VaglHSE8
- Calvin and Hobbes