Author Topic: I'd suggest filling your gas tank sooner rather than later...  (Read 4184 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Wholesale market gasoline hit upwards $5 a GALLON today.

Ike is aiming for the refineries along the Gulf coast, and people are worried enough to think that they can make a buck off it.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: I'd suggest filling your gas tank sooner rather than later...
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
Bleh.

Meanwhile, for the first refinery construction in decades, the cracking tower had to be shipped from freaking JAPAN because nobody here has been able to make such things, there was no market because of the greenies blocking construction.

Thanks, greenies.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
Unless Ike takes a severe northerly turn, like, right now, it's only going to skirt the major oil producing regions.  If that doesn't happen wholesale gas will be back down by this time next week.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
Brad, the concern is with the refineries.

The refineries aren't all located in the production areas.

There are at least 12 major refineries located in Ike's most probable path, which is somewhat west of the major concentrations of Gulf oil platforms.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

anygunanywhere

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
Unless Ike takes a severe northerly turn, like, right now, it's only going to skirt the major oil producing regions.  If that doesn't happen wholesale gas will be back down by this time next week.

Brad

Refineries from Corpus Christi to Beaumont/Port Arthur are shutting down.

Not good for inventories.

Anygunanywhere

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
Yeah, refined gas prices are way up on the markets.  I haven't seen any price increases at the pump today, fortunately.  We'll see about tomorrow.

Crude oil, however, continues to fall.  Odds are very good that it'll dip below $100 a barrel tomorrow.  Get the refineries back online and gas prices should drop considerably.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
Hopefully the prices won't change much till Saturday.  I'm driving 450 miles tomorrow, and it'd suck to hit the road and find gas prices have jumped 10 or 20 cents.  undecided
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
I'm not sure it will make much of a difference in the retail price of gasoline, other than in Texas.  California cannot use TX gas in the normal course of business.  I doubt they would even allow it in during a severe shortage in CA.

The refineries will probably be up and running within a week of the hurricane passing through.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
Most of it is controlled outages so they should be back up pretty soon.  Most of our plants are shutting down also.  That is why I am at work tonight.  Smiley
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
The rise in wholesale gas prices today is banking on the POSSIBILITY of a major hurricane doing severe damage to the refineries, essentially taking their production out of the loop for more than a few days shutdown.

The fact that wholesale gasoline prices spiked significantly today could have a significant effect across the country tomorrow as gas stations pass along price increases ordered by their retail delivery partners, who purchased the gasoline on the.... wholesale market.

See how this is working?

The fact that it's Texas refining capacity is not a factor.

The wholesale prices are what distributors pay largely nationwide from ALL refineries.

The distributors don't say -- OK, give me 40 gallons of high priced Texas refined gasoline for $5.00 a gallon, 80 gallons of Louisiana refined gasoline for $3.50 a gallon, and 500 gallons of Delaware refined gasoline for $2.95 a gallon.

It doesn't work that way.

mfree

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
Actually, the rise in gas prices here in Tennessee is because there's an outage-based shortage.

And I, the fool, has a bit less than half a tank. i figure I'm not going anywhere this weekend... that should get me to tuesday. Maybe supply will be back by then and we'll be at a hair under $4 for premium again.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
Still have gas in my town in SC. $3.46/gallon this morning. I gassed up Wednesday afternoon because I knew this was coming, and then I topped of this morning just to be sure.

Actually, the rise in gas prices here in Tennessee is because there's an outage-based shortage.

And I, the fool, has a bit less than half a tank. i figure I'm not going anywhere this weekend... that should get me to tuesday. Maybe supply will be back by then and we'll be at a hair under $4 for premium again.

Yep. It's a shortage because everybody is panicking. Other areas here in SC are out. But I was lucky to be able to top it off today (had 3/4 of a tank from when I filled up Wednesday...I drive a good chunk of miles to get to school and work).

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Jimmy Dean

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
We have places south of me hitting 5/gal right now.  I filled up after only a .05/gal spike, gas prices may continue to rise here in north LA though as well

zahc

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
Price at local station (racetrack across from Fry's electronics in Plano)

yesterday        : 3.37
today at 11:30: 3.49
today at 1:00  : 3:59

Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
It's hitting here today.

3.45 to 3.59 at the Citgo down the street.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
Interestingly, the price of gas and diesel both dropped ~10 cents here today.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
I believe one person or group owns all the gas statens in this town in CA.  Yesterday the lowest price was $4.13.  I wish some honest person/company would open a station with prices that are what prices should be.   The lowest price in Los Angeles is only $3.59

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
Thinking the same thing, I filled my truck up yesterday afternoon with $4.15 diesel.  This morning it dropped to $4.09

Oh, well, a month or so ago it was $4.79.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
I believe one person or group owns all the gas statens in this town in CA.  Yesterday the lowest price was $4.13.  I wish some honest person/company would open a station with prices that are what prices should be.   The lowest price in Los Angeles is only $3.59

Charging a high price is not necessarily dishonest.  Wouldn't seem to be in this case.  If he can make more money with that higher price, then apparently that's what the price should be. 

I live right next to an airport terminal, and several hotels and rental car lots.  The gas station near my house is consistently 10-15 cents higher than the stations a couple of miles away.  Supply and demand, baby.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
SC Update:

Many stations are out. Lines of cars have formed in areas. I saw one tanker truck, but I have no idea what it was hauling or its destination.

We've got fuel terminals in Augusta, GA and Honea Path, SC (near Anderson). The terminals supposedly have fuel, but are closed. Terminals shut down last night, according to one of the station managers my father talked to on his way to work today. Also, a driver called into a local radio show and said he and others were turned away. I wonder if this was done to prevent a total run on the stations and completely running out for several days.

Prices are up, too. $4.00 and up. We'll wait and see what happens. I hope they drop over the next couple of days and we see fuel deliveries continue.

I think Ike is supposed to hit landfall tonight. We'll see what the damage is then.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
24413 my zip. BFE Stations have raised prices 3 times today, places in the Shenandoah valley have run out of gas.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
If he can make more money with that higher price, then apparently that's what the price should be.
The higher gas price is the lack of compitition in this town.  The nearest compitition is 49 miles, which are more isolated than here, but several cents cheaper.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
24413 my zip. BFE Stations have raised prices 3 times today, places in the Shenandoah valley have run out of gas.

My FIL is traveling from Lynchburg to Richmond and said prices are up to $5 in Lynchburg with stations running out of gas or rationing.  We're in Richmond for the weekend and as of 10pm prices were stable.  I went ahead and topped off to make sure I have gas to get back to NoVa on Sunday.

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
The bigger issue is shortages or rationing, not price.  FIL is on the road and is reporting both.

Chris

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
I'd rather walk or ride a bicycle than vote Democrat. 

Then again, I'd rather have a red hot poker shoved up my posterior than vote Democrat, too.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"